IT.COM

Experiences with DNX

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I recently heard of DNX.com, a reverse auction platform for aftermarket domains on a DomainSherpa video and was curious as to others' experience with the platform. Have you found it a useful resource for finding solid names vs. having to go through drop lists of thousands of worthless expired domains? Alternatively what experience have you had selling domains via the platform?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DNX.com is a reverse auction platform which has existed about a year and is one of the sponsors of the DomainsSherpa video blogs. I believe it has some potential because their stated criteria is quality aftermarket domains at fair prices (no need to go through pages of $%&*#! expiring names). That doesn't mean everyone will always agree with their selections or that you will be able to pick up great domains at backorder prices. The seller still chooses the reserve price and generally isn't going to give away a great domain. However, any domain investor with renewals to pay still needs to maintain some degree of liquidity. On a recent DomainSherpa post they stated they had received some 11,000 submissions the prior two weeks and based on the number of domains at auction in their platform it appears they are only accepting 1-2% of what they receive - either due to low-quality submissions from newbies or domains priced too high for the typical domain investor buying at DNX. Since I have a few live auctions at the moment I noticed some of the others and did spot one disappear I believe at $500. Since DNX does not have the following of Namejet or Godaddy, it may require some marketing effort on the part of the seller to increase the odds of a sale. I suggested they report recent sales as a means of promoting their platform. We'll see how the platform evolves in the next couple years.

•••
"I suggested they report recent sales as a means of promoting their platform."
Do they actually have sales?

•••
I would have no way to know what DNX's sales history is unless they start reporting. On a test basis I have submitted 100 domains for their review. They reject a large percentage (~98% or so) of overall submissions but did accept about 2/3 of my first batch of twenty. The first five which went live did not sell but I will wait until the entire 100 domain test goes through before I evaluate.

•••
Names submitted May 23rd and May 24th still haven't been reviewed. The platform is still in beta. I believe the concept has some potential but it may take some time, marketing effort and resources to review more submissions than they can currently process in a timely manner for it to gain traction.

•••
I have submitted one hundred names as a test to see how the platform works from a reseller vantage point. A healthy percentage of the first batch of twenty were accepted though the remaining ones have not yet been reviewed. I'll keep folks posted.

•••
Any updates on your experiences?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back