IT.COM

Dynadots Unprofessionalism about 'Security PIN'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jubair

Impact
update: after 5 hours of this post, I got email from Dynadot. Header is 'New Account Security PIN Update' and body is
As of November 28th, 2023, we've updated one of our security features to increase account protection for all users. Our 'Birthday' account unlock system has now been changed to a 'security PIN' unlock code. By default, your security PIN will align with your previous birthday, following this format: month/day (MMDD). For example, if your birthday date was set to March 15, your new security code will be 0315.

previous post is -

I am a very big fan of Dynadot, which I started using on January 23, 2020, with my first ever domain purchase.

(Also, Porkbun is doing great.)

But recently, what they did was unforgivable.

Dynadot changed their 'unlock domain' system to Security PIN, which is your birthday's MMDD.
For example, if your birthday is 4th February then your pin is 0204; if 26th October, then your Security PIN is 1026.

but they didn't send an email or alert the customer.

I chat with customer support agent Clara. she said,

We apologise for the confusion! Recently, we have switched our account unlocking process from the birth date to the security PIN. Your PIN consists of 4 digits, which used to be your birth date, following this format mmdd. For example, the 4th of February would now be converted to the PIN number 0204.
We are really sorry about all the confusion that has been caused. There were some communication issues, and the emails were sadly not sent out in a timely manner as we wanted. We assure you that we will never let something similar happen again.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don’t understand what is so unforgivable? Did it slow down a sale? Lock you out? Slow down a transfer?

We just had a holiday weekend and it was an oversight. I tried it now for myself and its actually EASIER than the old way.

By the way, your pin or birthday code does not have to be your actual birthday. Just numbers you can remember.

I am puzzled why you joined a forum just to complain about something so minor.

Last edited:
•••
I don’t understand what is so unforgivable? Did it slow down a sale? Lock you out? Slow down a transfer?

We just had a holiday weekend and it was an oversight. I tried it now for myself and its actually EASIER than the old way.

By the way, your pin or birthday code does not have to be your actual birthday. Just numbers you can remember.

I am puzzled why you joined a forum just to complain about something so minor.
1. I agree; it's easier than a drop-down menu to select a month and date. But this doesn't' mean Dynadot should not let customers know. Can you tell me how you figured out that the security PIN is your birthday? Even Dynadots FAQ and forum also don't help me. They wrote, 'PIN is what you put in signing up' but there was no field about security pin in the sign-up form.

2. US style is 0204, but non-US or some countries format is 0402.

3. I am not joining for just this post. I joined this forum 30+ months ago; although I do not post or comment, I regularly visit this forum.

Last edited:
•••
1. I agree; it's easier than a drop-down menu to select a month and date. But this doesn't' mean Dynadot should not let customers know. Can you tell me how you figured out that the security PIN is your birthday? Even Dynadots FAQ and forum also don't help me. They wrote, 'PIN is what you put in signing up' but there was no field about security pin in the sign-up form.

2. US style is 0204, but non-US or some countries format is 0402.

3. I am not joining for just this post. I joined this forum 30+ months ago; although I do not post or comment, I regularly visit this forum.
When you signed up with Dynadot prior to this somewhere in the sign up process you had to enter a “birthday” to unlock account. Perhaps you don’t remember. it is also easy to change that birthday (now code) at anytime.

I agree completely that they need better and prompt communication about changes impacting access to our names. Maybe cause of long holiday weekend.

Last edited:
•••
update: after 5 hours of this post, I got email from Dynadot. Header is 'New Account Security PIN Update' and body is

previous post is -

I am a very big fan of Dynadot, which I started using on January 23, 2020, with my first ever domain purchase.

(Also, Porkbun is doing great.)

But recently, what they did was unforgivable.

Dynadot changed their 'unlock domain' system to Security PIN, which is your birthday's MMDD.
For example, if your birthday is 4th February then your pin is 0204; if 26th October, then your Security PIN is 1026.

but they didn't send an email or alert the customer.

I chat with customer support agent Clara. she said,
Hi! I apologize we were not able to alert you right away, there was a slight internal miscommunication error which led to it being launched before the newsletter was sent out.

The formatting of the PIN (MMDD) was the same format for the Birthdate Unlock we had had previously! I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this caused and going forward we will make sure to let customers know of any major account changes.

If you're having any issues unlocking your account please be sure to let me know!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back