IT.COM

Domaining journey update

NameSilo
Watch

Jason Baudendistel

CEO Wibbets IncRestricted (Market)
Impact
After three years i'm starting to feel like this is a waste of time and money I don't really have. Anything not related to my business will likely get listed for sale this fall during the next heavy sales period. The cold hard reality is most of the best names were regged before I was teenager and with limited capital I have very little chance of getting near them. Sometimes I really wonder if we live in a simulation and opportunities are already decided before people are born. Who knows but I need to try to focus on Glycerine. I have nothing to lose by giving this venture my all and if this fails I can go be a glorified housewife knowing that it wasn't in the cards.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, domain investing might not be for everyone especially with the uncertainty and slow sell-through rates.

It is a highly competitive field, especially if you entered in recent years. That is just the reality of the situation.

The lack of opportunities though is an issue in every field. It is not unique with domains. If you have more capital you just have access to more opportunities in general.

There are plenty of god tier domains I would love to invest in, but I don't have the capital of some others in the field, especially ones who entered in the 1990s.

There is no shame in doing something else, if this is not for you.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I will add that I think "Never give up" is some of the worst advice anyone can give. It is just a meaningless platitude that makes people feel bad when it comes to "failure".

Yes, perseverance can be a virtue but it can also be an anchor holding you back from other (better) things.

Wharton’s No. 1 professor: β€˜Never give up is bad advice. Sometimes quitting is a virtue.’​

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/14/whartons-no-1-professor-adam-grant-never-give-up-is-bad-advice.html

•••
Never give up depends on context.
Sometimes it is best to β€œ cut losses and move on”.

To know when, is the crux of the issue.

•••
It is wiser to invest in 1 solid domain than to try and manage many speculative ones. I think the downfall of many businesses is focusing on acquiring inventory instead of sales. It is definitely better to be sold out than overstocked.

Last edited:
•••
It is wiser to invest in 1 solid domain than to try and manage many speculative ones. I think the downfall of many businesses is focusing on acquiring inventory instead of sales. It is definitely better to be sold out than overstocked.
Couldn't agree more. Lot less hassle, lot less fees.

•••
I feel for you @Jason Baudendistel

The above posts by @bmugford cover most of what I'd say...makes good sense. Another thing I'd say is if you love domaining / have fun with it (I do), you tend to find it easier to find time for it. When you "depend" on this to be successful, I think this is the part that can be soul destroying, IMO. To a great extent, domaining is a waiting game, and having a healthy budget certainly gives you a good leg up. Not that you can't be successful on a low budget. Being smart and selective, buying right, having a "niche" etc. That boils down to your creativity / ability to seek sound opportunity...your personal "brilliance" as a standout domainer

Last edited:
•••
I feel for you @Jason Baudendistel

The above posts by @bmugford cover most of what I'd say...makes good sense. Another thing I'd say is if you love domaining / have fun with it (I do), you tend to find it easier to find time for it. When you "depend" on this to be successful, I think this is the part that can be soul destroying, IMO. To a great extent, domaining is a waiting game, and having a healthy budget certainly gives you a good leg up. Not that you can't be successful on a low budget. Being smart and selective, buying right, having a "niche" etc. That boils down to your creativity / ability to seek sound opportunity...your personal "brilliance" as a standout domainer

Well put.

•••
Maybe find a second job? If domaining is the only one at the moment.
I put all domains for sale and going to find a job, then who knows one day i get sales.

•••
Show off your domains and keep networking see if it pumps up moral with some reinforcement with peers. i see you have some personality so don't let that part slide if you bail out of domains you have an account at NP and could return to find start ups. I wish you the best but a year after those big buy ups you need to cull. I cull trying to improve overall quality. I found this interesting reading. https://www.vedantu.com/chemistry/glycerin

•••
My husband is taking a break but we appreciate everyone support and kind words.

•••
After three years i'm starting to feel like this is a waste of time and money I don't really have. Anything not related to my business will likely get listed for sale this fall during the next heavy sales period. The cold hard reality is most of the best names were regged before I was teenager and with limited capital I have very little chance of getting near them. Sometimes I really wonder if we live in a simulation and opportunities are already decided before people are born. Who knows but I need to try to focus on Glycerine. I have nothing to lose by giving this venture my all and if this fails I can go be a glorified housewife knowing that it wasn't in the cards.

Hi

just about a month ago, your story wasn't so bleak
https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-is-an-average-domainer.789809/page-2#post-8531355

and don't reg anymore .pro names

imo...

•••
this is a waste of .... money I don't really have.

I think that's your biggest issue. A lot of businesses are loosing money for the first couple of years.

Domaining isn't very different. Be prepared, and have the funds available, to cover those losses. And most of all, be willing to take the hit when that happens.

You may be doing ok right from the start, you may not. A solid business plan covers both scenarios.

There's no shame in failure. Don't let it get you down. You try, you fail, you recuperate, you try again. Plan ahead so you know from the get go at what point you should call it quits.

And if domaining isn't for you, there's always another opportunity around the corner. Don't be afraid to pivot. Just try a couple of things and see what sticks then take it from there.

Good luck!

•••
It is just a BS hobby and I earn $$$$ from day one because my expectations are so low

Domaining gives me so much enjoyment and stress free( no loss of lives!!) and I can express via domains.

I hand reg so many good domains at low discounts ( remember the 99cent GD) and resell at 500% ROI.
I even got my main domain Squarely dot com at a low $$$ price
I even remembered domainers who think they were domain experts/investors were dumping 4L domains and I grabbed them at $15 each...domains like
gxnx.com
kvlp.com
llyu.com
vhvk.com
wzwi.com
zmmr.com

I can resell them for $$$$$ and got so many offers now

It is all about how you look at this BS business...

•••
Maybe it's because I'm not neurotypical but I have a hard time with some of the more arbitrary aspects and most of the names that interest me at this point would probably cost 6 figures or more. My better names I will work on moving but there is no rush it is all about maximizing asset return. This capital will be used to build up my stock and real estate holdings things that seem to make way more sense. I appreciate everyone's support and kind words.

•••
Maybe it's because I'm not neurotypical but I have a hard time with some of the more arbitrary aspects and most of the names that interest me at this point would probably cost 6 figures or more. My better names I will work on moving but there is no rush it is all about maximizing asset return. This capital will be used to build up my stock and real estate holdings things that seem to make way more sense. I appreciate everyone's support and kind words.
You put too much pressure on yourself.
You self destruct
Your expectations are too high and unrealistic
All because of immaturity and inadequate life experiences...

•••

It's been said before, but seeing others make regular / big sales when you play the waiting and renewals game can potentially go from inspiring to frustrating as comparisons creep in (even though everyone's circumstances are different).

The big sales people see are from:
1 - outliers /old-timers who got in early (plus could make silly huge money from parking to help pay for renewals). Nothing can be done about that
2 - those who entered later (i.e. last 10 years) and had the funds in the first place to acquire top names
3 - those who started with little and doggedly stayed the course because they're mentally wired to enjoy the wait / negotiation / learning side/ chase (if outbound oriented), plus had a well-paid day job / business paying those renewals (prob representative of many domainers)

It's challenging to succeed if there's not some part of you that fits into the last two categories of domainer type.

•••
Hi Jason

i'd say,
don't measure your success against others.
what you earn/profit is the fruit, of your labor
and any gains should serve as motivation to continue.

It's been said before, but seeing others make regular / big sales when you play the waiting and renewals game can potentially go from inspiring to frustrating as comparisons creep in (even though everyone's circumstances are different).
Hi

i agree, it has been said before :)

imo...

•••
Hey everyone , not quitting but anted to let everyone know my wife bid on at least one of my auctions, Not currently sure how much longer I will have an account so just wanted to say thank you all for your kind words and support.

•••
Hey everyone , not quitting but anted to let everyone know my wife bid on at least one of my auctions, Not currently sure how much longer I will have an account so just wanted to say thank you all for your kind words and support.
Hi

Thanks for acknowledging that act.

seems like neither of you bothered to comprehend the ramifications of having separate accounts, and the confusion which could occur, by posting some of the same domain names.

my spider sense was tingling, when i noticed 'blackdiamond.pro' was posted by both of you in different threads .and when i posted the connection via link, that alone, should have told you guys to "take notice" that at least somebody else had noticed.

i think you, could be a good domainer,
but for her to bid on your auction was unacceptable.

though my words may seem harsh and you may think... "who the frick" am i to say it,
still, it has to be said...not just for the two of you to understand, but for anyone else who attempts the same behavior.

that said, i hope you can turn the page and move on, but do so professionally.

imo...

•••
I am not going to be too harsh, especially since you can't respond.

With that said, it should really be common sense that you (or a related party) should not bid on your own auction.
It is an obvious conflict of interest.

I hope you learn from this and grow. Best of luck.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back