Dynadot

question Do any of you make regular outbound sales and is it worth it?

NameSilo
Watch

peace800

Established Member
Impact
Just wondering if any of you successful outbounders vouch for outbound selling and whether you've had success in the 4 to 5 figures occasionally?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You nailed it on the head with this TBH.
Its been similar on my end and the general community.
about a month ago an Indian buddy of mine emailed about 80 buyers, majority of the email were read but no single reply.
So it's strange this days i tell you

Yeah, I just have no clue at all!! I have an Indian buddy to and he has had the same experience. Its very frustrating.

•••
Hi Harrington, its nice to see someone getting sales. I wish I could sell Geo's for more than 3-500.00. I have saw that is usually the sweet spot. I have sold keyword domains for $xxxx but not even close on Geo's. As far high quality domains, I dont think you can get much better than plumbing. I started marketing it on Tuesday night and sent out 60 emails and I havent closed it yet. I have had interest so we will see. I like to think I am pretty selective as I look for high CPC popular keywords and I will market up to 80 potential buyers or 10 pages of Google. I am not sure what else to do. Any input would be appreciated.
A lot of outbound is based on luck. I have names that I’ve sent over out 100 emails for that I can’t get rid of, names that are exact matches for a company’s name that I can’t get responses to, and so on. However there are also times when I send my first email and have an offer before my second email.

As long as you focus on names that are plausible for end users to want, then the rest is just a waiting game. While a name like NewYorkLandscaping.com might sound good, consider that NYC doesn’t exactly have a ton of grass to be cut, so it won’t have the plethora of potential end users that a less populated city might have. It’s 50% common sense and 50% luck to have outbound success imo.

•••
A lot of outbound is based on luck. I have names that I’ve sent over out 100 emails for that I can’t get rid of, names that are exact matches for a company’s name that I can’t get responses to, and so on. However there are also times when I send my first email and have an offer before my second email.

As long as you focus on names that are plausible for end users to want, then the rest is just a waiting game. While a name like NewYorkLandscaping.com might sound good, consider that NYC doesn’t exactly have a ton of grass to be cut, so it won’t have the plethora of potential end users that a less populated city might have. It’s 50% common sense and 50% luck to have outbound success imo.

All makes since and thank you for the reply. I know I will get sales so I will continue on.

•••
It's been long you report some of your sales. Do you still make sales and prefer to go silent on it.
All makes since and thank you for the reply. I know I will get sales so I will continue on.

•••

New York is also a state and there are many, many landscaping businesses in NY.

•••
It's been long you report some of your sales. Do you still make sales and prefer to go silent on it.

No, I lost my mom in August of last year and just wasnt into doing research and stuff. I am finally getting back in the swing of things. I had 1 sale of DallasCommercialPhtographer.com

•••
New York is also a state and there are many, many landscaping businesses in NY.
Yes I’m aware (I live in NY lol), my point was considering most geo sales are city/service and looking at New York as a city rather than the whole state

•••
Yes I’m aware (I live in NY lol), my point was considering most geo sales are city/service and looking at New York as a city rather than the whole state

Ah yes. You’re right. I’m also from NY and when I traveled out of state people always assumed I meant NYC lol.

•••
...I have noticed average sales on Namebio has really dropped as well.

At the same time, we have noticed that average acquisition prices at drop auctions have skyrocketed since February or so. So much so that we have largely stopped buying at auctions. Too risky now.

If average drop auction prices are soaring and average end user sales are falling, profits and ROIs from domain investing are looking less and less attractive.

•••
We have been actively investing in domain names for about 10 years now. We have had one outbound sale -- AccountPlanning.com for $4,995 back on 4/29/14. We had paid $555 for it at NameJet only one month earlier, 3/27/14.

We did the required research to identify about 7 prospects and their direct email addresses. We crafted a short email noting that the domain name was now available while not mentioning the price but including a link to a Buy-It-Now landing page. We sent out the emails one by one. Within the hour, one email recipient went to the landing page and used the Buy-It-Now button and a credit card to purchase the name. That was the only outbound sale we have ever made.

We generally believe that inbound and lots of patience is the better way to go. With inbound, you are in a much better negotiating position. They want your asset and they have approached you. That is a much stronger position than you using outbound to "sell" the domain name to them. If you have good quality domain names, you will need less patience because inbound inquiries should be coming in pretty regularly on good quality names.

Even better, we believe simply setting Buy-It-Now prices and eschewing negotiations completely is the fastest way to generate cash flow from a large portfolio of domain names. Prospective buyers really do not want to negotiate at all. It feels unseemly to them, especially for something with as obtuse a value as a domain name. In negotiations, you are some mysterious seller on the other end of a computer screen trying feebly to justify your asking price in an email conversation. Negotiations are simply too hard on the prospective buyer and they do not enjoy the process.

In contrast, when you use BIN pricing, many buyers simply assume that the value of the domain name is the BIN price that you are showing them on the landing page or in the marketplace. They are forced to justify value = price to themselves given their need and desire for the domain name. Upon justification in their own minds, it's simply a matter of them finding the money to pay the BIN price. If they are a large corporation, they will find the money and move forward with the acquisition using the Buy-It-Now button.

Last edited:
•••
Yes i have a team which does outbound on daily basis... Lots of xxx sales and yes couple of xxxx sales as well. Though havent had xxxxx sale yet via outbound

@rohitgoyal - can you add more detail here about your "team?" how are they contacting endusers, are you providing them with lists and email scripts or are they doing the DD themselves? What is their cost per hour, do you pay commission? What is your success rate % based on total # of emails sent per domain?

I have been doing this for 10 years now and am trying to switch up the model a bit to see if it makes sense to utilize offshore team to do the work for me :)

And to everyone else - I have a pending sale for high $XXX which was generated via outbound emails in the "Finance Sector" and not a GEO but a hyphenated .com.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back