Dynadot

status-monitor Direct Messages Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should DM recipients be allowed to share direct messages publicly on NamePros?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, it's their right to share messages that were sent to them directly

• No, they shouldn't be allowed even though they could still share those messages on other websites

• Indifferent, it doesn't matter to me either way

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Impact
I reported one post that took a direct message and posted it in public. This was the response:

"Direct messages belong to each member in the conversation and at this time there is no rule against posting them publicly. Thank you for understanding."

It says Direct Messages are this -
Direct messages are similar to emails: they allow you to have conversations with other members directly.

Direct messages are basically private messages between 2 people usually. When is that ever ok to post in public?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The option to share a message is there when you send the message right or does the feature not work properly?
This option works, it's titled: "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others"
  • If it's checked, then anyone in the conversation can add more people to that direct message.
  • If it's unchecked, then only the creator of the conversation can add more people to that direct message.

Hope that helps,

Bump for my previous post. I updated them for clarity. ;)

•••
I'm posting a response to this topic which is continuing here

https://www.namepros.com/threads/direct-messages-are-private-or-not.1158530/

Everything can be republished, I often chuckle at websites that put in numerous scripts protecting images and all one really has to do is take a screenshot and crop the image and it's copied.

Same thing goes for ANY messaging system, in the end if it's on someones user screen it can be copied. Nothing can prevent it and we have to assume everything we say in writing can and will be reproduced.

I warn my 12 year old boy all the time, I tell him to act like he is always on camera because chances are he is.

----------------------------------

Now as far as the topic at hand (from my link) I think there are circumstances when direct messages need to be debated on an open platform but I'm in favor of keeping that on the originating platform because this way there is some measure of control and there is always a possibility of an edit if a moderator or both parties agree to it.

When posted on another platform one has to follow the rules of that platform and the message may not be editable.

--------------------------------

Now my personal opinion...

Was there a reasonable presumed privacy similar to that of a changing room? In other words does the user have a reasonable expectation of privacy? Similar to email I would say anyone nowadays has so no reasonable expectation that email, or similar like a dm, is private. If one does a situation like this is certainly an eye opener.

My opinion.... assume what you write will be shared.... same advice I gave my kid.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back