IT.COM

Did you know?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CDC3

Impact
New member. New E-Commerce, Too many domains!
What is better to own .com or .net?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
New member. New E-Commerce, Too many domains!
Hello and welcome to nps!

com for sure but there are opportunities in every extension. Take plenty of time to read and learn here before investing in anything...you might find a net, ai or co is better for your needs.

•••
Assuming it's the same domain and they're both within your budget, .com over .net.

•••
NOTHING beats .com.
NOTHING.

.Net is more in discussion for #2 extension!

Last edited:
•••
Agree that almost always same word is much more valuable in .com than .net.
The only possible exception would be if the word has to do with a net or network, but not always even then.

Last edited:
•••
There is one situation where net is better than com.
This name
ComIsBetterThan.NET

•••
There is one situation where net is better than com.
This name
ComIsBetterThan.NET
Your example and Slideshare.com come to mind : )
I like yours more, well played :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
Don't be misled here.

It will always depend on the domain being used with the extension. An underdog can certainly prove more powerful used correctly.

Need precise examples for more accurate conclusions.

Eg, house dot net vs house dot com, I'm keeping the dot com.

moderntek dot net vs moderntek dot com, it's tomato tomahto on development. There are a ton of successful sites that have been around forever based on dot-net.

*dot-com will usually have a higher probability of sale, if that's what your intentions are.

•••
Don't be misled here.

It will always depend on the domain being used with the extension. An underdog can certainly prove more powerful used correctly.

Need precise examples for more accurate conclusions.

Eg, house dot net vs house dot com, I'm keeping the dot com.

moderntek dot net vs moderntek dot com, it's tomato tomahto on development. There are a ton of successful sites that have been around forever based on dot-net.

*dot-com will usually have a higher probability of sale, if that's what your intentions are.
i would rather own Com(.)Net over Net(.)Net

Last edited:
•••
•••
.com > unless you have a nice common dictionary word for a .net, even then it's worth a lot less than the .com

My rule of thumb is if it's more than one word, make it a .com

from iCarly:

•••
Welcome to NP!
It's never so black and white, but if you have to chose between the same domain that's available in both extensions then .com for sure. But if, for example I'd have to chose between HoloTech(net) and eHoloTech(com), I'd choose the .net in that case.

•••
cartoon-military-general-salute.jpg

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back