NameSilo

.tv Did Verisign devalue or at least take away some of the potential of the SEDO Auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
IMO YES.

By releasing names far superior to storage.tv,reservation.tv,xo.tv. Like Oh Media.tv,Satellite.tv and surfing.tv just as three examples there are a lot more.

Thousands of dollars have been spent by smart buyers over the last week. These buyers did not have to compete in an auction. They just got the name. That also takes thousands of dollars from bidding in the Sedo auction.

I expect the auction to be softer than if the auction came before releasing all the other premium .tv

Opinions

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Totally agree.

It's like spending all day at your grandma's house being fed every cake she could bake

and then going home to find your mum has bought a cheap cake from the shops.

Do you grudgingly eat it?

Or would it have been better if she had bought that cake the day you came home from the charity 'starvathon'?

•••
It is anybody's guess, but I think that information about the events of March 18th and 19th wasn't widespread. Many people still don't really understand how they could have missed the boat and the SEDO auction provides an opportunity to raise the level of exposure to new levels. If you are a member of SEDO, then you probably noticed how much they are promoting that Dot TV auction. My gut instinct tells me that the people who come away from those auctions with the highest bids will likely be no different than they would have been had Verisign coordinated blowing up the model for .TV on April 1st when the auction takes place rather than before it on March 18th.

Aside from the SEX.com sale or lack thereof, this is some of the biggest news in the domaining world. Nobody can help but ask others what they think. I anticipate a large attendance at the Premium .tv SEDO auction.

•••
Did Verisign devalue or at least take away some of the potential of the SEDO Auction?

The end result may very well prove that they devalued or diluted the .TV Sedo auction ... but I think they were thinking that releasing all the domains at the new pricing levels would create a buzz FOR and ahead of the auction; so in that context, the timing was probably not well planned / a mistake IMHO. :guilty:

The other key element, which you've referenced in "thousands of dollars have been spent by (smart) buyers over the last week" goes to the current SUPPLY of available domains in the aftermarket, Sedo or otherwise ... complement these factors with lack of End user / developer DEMAND and as yet unresolved existing Premium domain renewal policy/pricing/uncertaintly and there should be a lot of unexpected results on the downside (which I've been suggesting publicly here since the advent of last week's announcements)! :gl: :imho:

All the best,
Jeff B-)

•••
(which I've been suggesting publicly here since the advent of last week's announcements)! :gl: :imho:

You have Jeff? Where? Sorry, I must have missed it :red::talk: and various other smily faces

•••
You have Jeff? Where?

Yes, I have ... it's all on the record; search Pages 2 - 3 of our fun & lively #1 .TV Forum™ :gl: :imho:

Night,
Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back