IT.COM

question Define domain 'hacks'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
1) I understand .ly for an example...NOW are we also calling the following a 'hack'?

Turquoise.blue or azure.blue, or Las.Vegas
--------------------
2nd question...
When you are using Googles Keyword tool, IF you where to put in Las Vegas it would return millions of searches...HOW to you evaluate the value of Las.Vegas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1)i think it will be technically the same way as others but others have 1 advantage : history backed by backlinks.

also your site must be viable, with updates, news etc...

2) a practical example ( not advertising : ))

asset.domains :

if you enter keywords : asset domains

you will find some blog posts, co.uk website of another person , some blabla and then asset.domains website

the assetdomains.com that maybe is older than both is not in the first 2 pages of gg search...

i want to mention that time to time the a.d domain and twitter account can get on top but i'm not monitoring this... also the site ! is on testing and is not fully launched, i think i can get on top of the kw asset domains ( if i want to get on top of premium domians page i'll have to spend 10k usd a week fon gg ads during 6m) but i don't have such plans : )

Last edited:
•••
How do you feel about .in hacks to create domains like Ta.co?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

•••
I would define a domain hack as something where each side of the dot is meaningless on its own (or near meaningless) but combined they create a word or brand name.

The thing about domain hacks is they are brandable purely because of the hack - it makes people go "oh, that's clever" so they remember the domain name better, and it makes them feel like they are being included in a private joke.

del.icio.us was probably the best known

Things like supre.me or quiet.ly or pota.to or music.al also nice hacks. no_url_shorteners is a hack, too.

Asset.domains is not a domain hack
Turquoise.blue is not a domain hack

doma.in/names would be a good hack
turquoi.se - or tur.quoi.se - would be a "pretty" hack

Ultimately, I think they're not that saleable though - they're nice to have, and clever and pretty, but not necessarily that valuable, unless it's something in a really clever/commercial vertical.

•••
I would define a domain hack as something where each side of the dot is meaningless on its own (or near meaningless) but combined they create a word or brand name.

The thing about domain hacks is they are brandable purely because of the hack - it makes people go "oh, that's clever" so they remember the domain name better, and it makes them feel like they are being included in a private joke.

del.icio.us was probably the best known

Things like supre.me or quiet.ly or pota.to or music.al also nice hacks. no_url_shorteners is a hack, too.

Asset.domains is not a domain hack
Turquoise.blue is not a domain hack

doma.in/names would be a good hack
turquoi.se - or tur.quoi.se - would be a "pretty" hack

Ultimately, I think they're not that saleable though - they're nice to have, and clever and pretty, but not necessarily that valuable, unless it's something in a really clever/commercial vertical.

I have a couple in mind that would be great for like a Colgate or female feminine products company lol don't laugh! Hehe

Seriously would corps even consider buying these? Is so any real world examples??

I like your scenario about how people will look at your domain hack and feel included in a joke! Never thought of it like that. Going to use that.

Last edited:
•••
They probably wouldn't proactively register them. But if someone else registered them, they may try to step in (depending on the regulations of the registry) to stop it being used.

I very much doubt that you could register something relating to a corp and then try and sell it to them though.

Lore.al is registered - but not by the company in question...

•••
They probably wouldn't proactively register them. But if someone else registered them, they may try to step in (depending on the regulations of the registry) to stop it being used.

I very much doubt that you could register something relating to a corp and then try and sell it to them though.

Oh no I'm talking about something generic. Not going to mention any as I have already accidentally given good ideas to people on NP because of my big mouth but like Bitco.in

It's generic no real TM . Could be useful to say Coinbase.com or BTCC.COM

Ok well I discovered a WORD that sold for $45,000 I could hack it using a new ext

But could I sell it? It's in a niche that's forever hot. With a million dollar payday for the end-user who uses it.

Is it a good bet? The ext has a pricey reg fee of $250.

Oh and I know that since the .com version sold for $45k the hack has to sell for cheaper if if sells.

Last edited:
•••

If registering these hack domains means the endusers aka corps you are targeting aren't going to buy it then is buying these domains hacks for big $$$? Other investors like you and me?

•••
I have toke.rs (tokers). Toke is a word on its own, but tokers is, as well.

•••
I have these domain hacks and URL shorteners. the .COMs are all more than xxx,xxx$
rap.id.ly similar to del.icio.us
freshe.rs
mete.rs
rada.rs
semiconducto.rs
fittin.gs
lightin.gs
tollfr.ee

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back