IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Keith DeBoer

BrandableInsider.comTop Member
Impact
I don't know about you but I use GD's bulk search feature several times a day for the past two years. I considered it to be a valuable tool for finding a few flakes of domain gold amid the chaos of stream bed junk. But now it returns a significant number of false positive search results in the form of Premium Domain listings making the tool a big waste of my time.

Here's how it goes........ I copy paste 100 names from my Excel spreadsheet to the GD bulk domain search box. I click 'search' and the tool lists the names that are available for hand reg.
bandicam 2016-01-02 14-46-05-361.jpg

I click Proceed To Checkout. I am then redirected to this generic search page:

bandicam 2016-01-02 14-44-59-920.jpg

What???

When I search for one of the domains individually I discover that the domain(s) is for sale via Premium listing.

bandicam 2016-01-02 14-48-33-896.jpg

But again when I click Proceed To Checkout --so I can at least see the price-- I am redirected to the generic search page.

bandicam 2016-01-02 14-44-59-920.jpg

When I first encountered this problem 2 weeks ago I thought it would get fixed in a day or two. But every day it's the same issue.

This glitch curtails hand regging AND the potential purchase of domains listed in Premium.

This run around needs to be fixed but just as important, there needs to be a way for domainers to be able to opt out of having Premium Domain listings included in their bulk search results when they are looking for domains to hand reg.

Anyone else having this problem?

@Joe Styler, would you like to comment on this?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can only see about 3 domains in my portfolio at a time too! It sucks and has been like that for some time now.

The useless blank space kills me. Doesn't their tech team see this stuff? It's been like that for too long for a company that has a 'Website Builder". Are they using it to build their own site? Isn't there a whole tech dept. at GD.
The bulk tool has been jacked up for almost a year now. I think I can search 20-50 names at the most.
Sometimes I can't even see my domains in my portfolio. I can log in but the page will not load at all.
If I log in to the Godaddy.com website, I have to log in to the auction site too when I go there from the Godaddy.com site.

There are a bunch of problems and it would help if the "Site Suggestion" link would work, but it is no longer on the site and when it was it won't let you make any suggestions! Godaddy used to be really good, but is going down hill with the website "glitches".

FIX IT please so we don't have to use this site to make suggestions.

•••
Absolutely godaddy is crap nowadays. I have raised so many issues or bug happens during registration in 2015 , and I faced the same 2 weeks back, rediculous still, they replied that they aware of the issues, they are working on it. It was the same reply for me 5 months back.

•••
This is the first I heard of it, but it does correspond to about the time we added in some other tlds for bulk check recently in response to some other customer feedback we heard. It could be related to that or something else we did to help streamline it. I know we are working on making the tool better and over the course of this year it should be more useful than it is now so if you have any other suggestions please let me know. It is because of another forum request that we added in additional tlds to be searched in the bulk check, so I will take this premium lookup question and any others to the developers and see what we can do to the tool to make it more useful for bulk users.

Well, I have had a lot of problems lately (in the last month) just registering domains at Go Daddy; I often get an error page, or it goes into a hanging loop.

Go Daddy needs to consider the possibility that your pages contain too much code and are too difficult to load.

It's so frustrating that I have had to register domains elsewhere -- not good for GD's bottom line.

•••
Yep I have this issue with GD bulk as well, so for larger lists I use Namebright or Name.com. The latter let's you search more than 5k at once and you can check many tlds compared to Namebright.

•••
Same frustrating problems here. Hate getting the Premium names in bulk search. Lately getting the following error 90% of the time:

We apologize for this inconvenience, but an error has been detected.

Also hate having to sign in twice when going from my account to auctions.

GD has become very buggy.

•••
Yes, I'm also having issues reggin names at GD. Sometimes at bulk search I'm auto forwarded to my cart before I'm finished with my searches. Sometimes the cart is missing names that came through in the bulk search. Those are the premium listings I guess.

•••
Thanks for bringing it up. I am working with the developers on this. @whateverforsale what are you doing to get the error, is it the same kind of search every time? What steps can I use to reproduce it?

•••
Joe,
I get it the error message constantly. Most recently I was getting it trying to search for 500 .ws at a time.
Basically I find the easiest way for me to reproduce the error message is to try and use it on any day of the week that ends in the word "Day"

•••
Joe,
I get it the error message constantly. Most recently I was getting it trying to search for 500 .ws at a time.
Basically I find the easiest way for me to reproduce the error message is to try and use it on any day of the week that ends in the word "Day"

Same here. Very slow and frequent errors.

•••
I have to say over the years GD has been good for me but I have to agree of late the bulk search is very buggy. I did bring this up with the customer support but they could not help

•••
I wanted to bulk edit my premium listing prices and every time I did that I got that error page. Please fix this also.

•••
thanks for the added details. I know we had some errors with bulk search of .co I wanted to know if it is more than just that returning this error,

We apologize for this inconvenience, but an error has been detected.

The .ws helps so thanks for that Shane. I know the developers are looking into the error now. I had an email thread on it with them already last week and have been in contact with the person working on a fix earlier this morning.

Big picture we are working on a newer search which will be much better than the current one. We know this is not where we want it to be right now but there are changes coming. In the meantime the issue with any errors you are seeing are being looked at so thank you for bringing them to my attention.

•••
The bulk search is only one of the problems! I get errors with putting more than 25 domains in for .info and .com
Just spend 5 minutes doing any bulk search will give you the errors and glitches we are talking about. Domains listed as available but then are gone when you try to go to your cart.

Having to log into the auctions and then into Godaddy is another.
Managing our domain portfolio page is another. Sometimes it won't fully load no matter what browser I use.
Not being able to see more than 3 domains in my portfolio domain manager is a PITA!

•••
Thanks for bringing it up. I am working with the developers on this. @whateverforsale what are you doing to get the error, is it the same kind of search every time? What steps can I use to reproduce it?

I am getting the error when I do a bulk search. I usually search for .com but I get it with other extensions as well. For a while I thought it was better if I entered less names but I get the error even when using just 20 or 25 names. Have tried both FireFox and Chrome... no difference.

•••
I have been having a lot of problems as well. As I have mentioned, the whois export only includes certain ext for some time now. I also get the bulk search error. I search for domains and it shows them as available, yet when I proceed to checkout, it states they are not. I have paid for domains recently that were available, yet did not show in my account after purchase. I called godaddy, spent 20 minutes on the phone. Was told everything should be alright, then received order failures after about 4 hours. Then have not been refunded.

•••
If you have not been refunded let me know the names. Typically what happens in this case is we check with the registry for a Yes/No on a domain name being available. Sometimes there are false positives for various technical reasons, say the registry is getting slammed with requests or doing maintenance etc. We register the domain name for you and then we can't get it from the registry, they will be automatically cancelled and then put in a refund queue which is typically refunded the next day. This should all happen automatically so if you are not getting a refund on a name please let me know.
On the bulk we have engineers looking into it.

•••
Joe can you please let the engineers know about the wasted space at the top of the Domain Manager page. We can only see 3 domains in our portfolios. I told tech support about this a while ago and nothing is being done about it. It makes it hard to scroll thru 100's of domains 3 at a time. I renew things each month as they come up for renewal. It would be nice to see at the very least 10 domains at a time in my portfolio.

Thank you

•••
Joe can you please let the engineers know about the wasted space at the top of the Domain Manager page. We can only see 3 domains in our portfolios. I told tech support about this a while ago and nothing is being done about it. It makes it hard to scroll thru 100's of domains 3 at a time. I renew things each month as they come up for renewal. It would be nice to see at the very least 10 domains at a time in my portfolio.

Thank you
We are redesigning a lot of things this year with larger portfolio holders in mind.

•••
Bulk search down again. I submitted 180 names and go this error message twice:

Internal Server Error - Read
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Reference #3.23c18d3f.1455984198.49960d2

•••
Later in the day it worked for awhile.... then this:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Reference #3.79cffea5.1456008183.b85a79d

•••
Thanks for bringing this up, Keith. Bulk searching is hugely important for many of us.

My absolute favorite way to bulk search is @FPForum's DesktopCatcher. Can bulk search .com/.net through Verisign. (Put 15,000 in at once if you want.)

Can bulk search many other extensions, including .ws I believe, via the DyanDot API in DesktopCatcher. Again, put 20,000 in at once if you want.

And finally I just yesterday cracked the mystery of how to bulk check .io: use the NameCheap API in DesktopCatcher.

•••
Thanks for bringing this up, Keith. Bulk searching is hugely important for many of us.

My absolute favorite way to bulk search is @FPForum's DesktopCatcher. Can bulk search .com/.net through Verisign. (Put 15,000 in at once if you want.)

Can bulk search many other extensions, including .ws I believe, via the DyanDot API in DesktopCatcher. Again, put 20,000 in at once if you want.

And finally I just yesterday cracked the mystery of how to bulk check .io: use the NameCheap API in DesktopCatcher.

Nice find with IO's and NameCheap ;)
Also, you can see all the extensions which are supported for bulk checking via DynaDot here

•••
Yeah, obviously no change on this yet. Keep getting this error message when doing bulk check. Same as
@Keith DeBoer above.

Reference #3.250ad817.1456098388.e03ea159

•••
Here's tonight's bulk search error message (I tried it twice)
bandicam 2016-02-28 19-03-14-862.jpg

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back