DAN.com Year in Review

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
DAN.com (an advertiser here) gave some insights on 2019 vs 2018. The number that stood out to me the most was 14% of the revenue of our sellers has become recurring due to installments & domain rentals. I did not think it would be that big, more like 5%. Year in review: comparing 2019 with […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are the best of the best. 11/10

A very happy user of DAN.

•••
I may be mistaken, but no sales reported to see what is the majority of buyers. 60M unique visitors, sure domains bring their own visitors.

•••
I think from a buyers perspective they have a lot to improve. I bought and paid for a domain almost 10 days ago (my first purchase) and all I've had is an invalid Auth Code, and the domain is still locked. The support keeps harping on the seller being a new seller and this is their first sale, and the fact of the Christmas AND New Year Holidays, got in the way. Only time will tell. I think it's not going to happen, IMHO. I'll be happy if I'm wrong. I think dead-beat sellers like this should be booted off their platform if they fail to complete a sale, IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
Would have been nice for them to have come out with some nice infographic instead of 6 bullet points

•••
I think from a buyers perspective they have a lot to improve. I bought and paid for a domain almost 10 days ago (my first purchase) and all I've had is an invalid Auth Code, and the domain is still locked. The support keeps harping on the seller being a new seller and this is their first sale, and the fact of the Christmas AND New Year Holidays, got in the way. Only time will tell. I think it's not going to happen, IMHO. I'll be happy if I'm wrong. I think dead-beat sellers like this should be booted off their platform if they fail to complete a sale, IMHO.

Did this get cleared up? @DAN.COM

•••
I have used Dan a few dozen times as a buyer, I always got my domains quickly, and without any hassles.

I sold one 4 figure domain, and it was paid, transferred, and paid out within 24 hours, can’t ask for more than that.

I think if they can acquire their own registrar they can really take it to the next level. Also congrats on them for acquiring a first name 3 letter .com for under $200k in 2019, not an easy feat, and branding it.

•••

Nope. I'm still waiting for Dan.com to sort this out with the seller. I have also taken the unprecedented step of emailing the seller directly. Yes I found out a way to do that. I've only just done that. So will need to at least give them a couple of days to reply (since they also are not replying to Dan). This doesn't look good in acquiring the domain. First impressions count. At this point, my impressions are that the seller is going to renege, or the domain doesn't belong to the seller. Either way, the seller should be banned from Dan, IMHO. Although I'm obviously hoping for the best outcome.

I also think Dan should verify every domain with the seller by asking them to add some verifiable text to the DNS, like Google do. (I'm assuming they don't already do that).

Last edited:
•••
I'm wondering... is Dan best for only 3 and 4 figure domain sales????

I feel like each marketplace has a certain market and credibility and branding to attract specific group of buyers. Have their been any recorded 5 figure sales etc????

•••
Also congrats on them for acquiring a first name 3 letter .com for under $200k in 2019, not an easy feat, and branding it.

Yes. That was a masterstroke, IMHO.

Last edited:
•••

Only now have DAN Support now acknowledged this is a deadbeat seller. We still don't know if that is because they don't own the domain or if they just decided not to sell at the BIN price. To resolve if they are actually the owner, I still think they should ask all sellers to create a TXT record in their DNS. At least that would weed out most non-owners. And give buyers more confidence that sales will be completed.

By mutual consent, DAN have until Wednesday evening European time, before cancelling the sale, and deleting the sellers account, and ban their IP Address. Only now they tell me they have tried to contact them at least a dozen times by email and phone. From our email conversations, I thought it was much less. In these situations, I think the buyer should be informed about every contact, when it happens.

These things will inevitably happen sometimes. It just happened to be my very first purchase on DAN. Which is not a good experience for anybody :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back