IT.COM

question .cloud vs .io domain potential

NameSilo
Watch

PatrickV

Established Member
Impact
Any idea wich direction in valuation this extensions can/could go? For cloud and web based services i think there's potential. Suggestions, tips, ideas welcome. Showcase your .cloud and/or .io domains if you want here. Special marketplaces for this .io and .cloud domains? Thank you! Good luck to all domainers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Where this alternative "tech" extensions to my opinion are most of the time used for?

.cloud for cloud based services
.online for software or businesses
.io for software development and technology
.(other alternative tech) extensions, ... are used for?

Why it's worth your investment?

What about online reputation if you're operating with one or more of those "Alternative tech" extensions instead of working with .com as a company?

Ideas, tips and advies welcome.

•••
There's a .cloud extension?

•••
I really don't expect .cloud to gain much traction outside the cloud computing segment of the tech world. So I'd expect it to remain somewhat niche, although definitely a valuable niche.
My expectation is that specific cloud computing / business / networking related keywords could be extremely valuable. However, these names would be as niche as the TLD itself.

I don't like .online and I think it has no redeeming value. Too generic and too long for a generic TLD.

.io is most versatile and currently has more traction. I expect it to remain that way.
It has quite broad appeal and acceptance in the areas of gaming, crypto, tech in general, software development, apps, etc.
Lately I've also seen news and social media platforms embrace .io.

.io has definitely become acceptable as a primary company extension, though .com still reigns supreme.

•••
I have a huge database of cloud end-users and have sold a lot of cloud names over the years. I have mentioned .cloud to them and there is no interest at all. I think your best chance with these names (.cloud) are cloud startups but it could be a long wait.

•••
Dot IO have really did well despite of being a ccTLD.
Coming to CLOUD. I don't think it is as strong as dot IO though it shows 200k registrations (ntldstats)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back