IT.COM

Closing threads after 36 days?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CDM

Established Member
Impact
This thread is more than 36 day(s) old, you can not reply to it.

what exactly is the logic here, and when did this start?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's threads without a response over 30 days, and they're not closed. It's an "old thread warning", meaning you must check a box before you can reply... if you really feel you need to bump the thread.

•••
The warning text is misleading. It says "you can not reply" but this is incorrect because you can. I had the exact same problem and reported to NP but it wasn't corrected. It would be better if it was corrected. Sometimes people want to add to an existing thread instead creating a new one.

Edit:
Here is the thread I posted some time ago:
http://www.namepros.com/namepros-info-and-suggestions/662300-about-32-day-limit-threads-getting.html

This problem is very easy to fix. The warning text needs to be changed to something more meaningful and correct. It would take maybe 2 minutes to fix.

Last edited:
•••
attachment.php

It's shown right above the Submit button on both quick reply, and the regular post page. :imho: hard to miss.

However, the warning after not checking the check box but submitting anyway... I'll work on updating it.

Attachments

• About 32 day limit for threads getting locked - NamePros.com_1282109778249.png
    About 32 day limit for threads getting locked - NamePros.com_1282109778249.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 38
•••
i certainly missed it (more than once, this was the second time happening)

•••
The new warning message is better. At least it now gives you correct information.

This thread is more than 54 day(s) old, it is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.

However, if you'd still like to reply, please press the back button in your browser, and be sure to check the box that states "I am aware that this thread is rather old, but I still want to make a reply.

However, I disagree with the comment in the message that says "bumping it serves no purpose". It does serve at least two purposes:

1. If you are an experienced NP user you probably visit this link regularly:
http://www.namepros.com/usercp.php

What is in that link?
Well, it lists all the threads you started or posted in that have a new message. In other words it lists threads you have subscribed. Let's say you posted in a thread a year ago. If somebody else posts in the same thread you can see it on top of that page. I think this is a very good feature. In fact this is the main page I visit at NP. I don't visit the home page.

Now lets assume there was a discussion about a subject and a few people who know about it posted in a thread. But somebody else wants to ask another detail about the same subject. Wouldn't it be great if the same people who posted earlier would continue contributing to the subject. How do you let them know? Well, you just have to post in the same thread. Therefore there is a huge difference between opening a new thread and posting in an existing thread.

2. You might be posting in your own thread. You don't want to open multiple threads about the same subject. For instance I opened a thread about my website and when I wanted to post a new message it said you can not post. I was very annoyed because I didn't want to open a new thread because then the information on the first thread would be disconnected from the new thread.

So in fact posting in old threads is a very good idea if you opened a thread and want to continue posting in your own thread and if you would appreciate to hear from the exact same people who posted earlier in a certain thread.

So I disagree with the comment here for the two reasons above:
This thread is more than 54 day(s) old, it is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.

But I appreciate you have finally replaced this incorrect message:
This thread is more than 36 day(s) old, you can not reply to it.

With this one. Thanks God for that.
However, if you'd still like to reply, please press the back button in your browser, and be sure to check the box that states "I am aware that this thread is rather old, but I still want to make a reply.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back