Domain Empire

question Can I flip domains every day ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

skhanm61

Established Member
Impact
Hey there i wanted to know whether its possible to flip domains each day as ive been told it takes alot of time to flip if you want profits but i dont want to get bored just holding on to them so i wanted to know whether there is any methods ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This business is not for you if you are not ready to hold names for years and also drop almost all names you buy one day.

If you like a business that you invest and sell every day, try buying popular items at wholesale prices and sell them locally or for very cheap online.

•••
yes after u put 5millon hours ofwork to learn craft

•••
If you own an auction platform, sure.

•••
•••
The truth is, in order to flip a domain per day you need to be in wholesale territory. This business model is hardly sustainable without automation because the amount of time it takes to acquire new inventory to replace sold domains along with the small margins will put you break even at best.

The domainers that sell high retail are getting 1-3% sell-through rate and you need a very large portfolio of premium single word domains to even come close to one sale per day. We're talking tens of thousands of premium domains. And that is only a handful of people/companies at this point.

For most, it's a long grind starting in 2022, but if you are smart and wise investor then you will find opportunity in anything whether domains, cars, real estate, assets, stocks, whatever.

•••
This is a long-term business.

Obviously, this is possible to flip domains per day but this required years of research.

•••
This business is not for you if you are not ready to hold names for years and also drop almost all names you buy one day.

If you like a business that you invest and sell every day, try buying popular items at wholesale prices and sell them locally or for very cheap online.
Yep. You can calculate compound ROI all you want, but it doesn't happen in these waters.

Even if you have an extraordinary nose for domain picking, rest-assured you will have to factor-in many years to your "success" equation. This is NOT some kind of negativity. Domains are generally a buyer's equation. There are extreme ups and downs. You can sell one domain for $5000 tomorrow and then wait for another 3 years to do the same.

•••
Glad you asked this as I too was wondering whether there was a ‘volume trading’ alternative to the long term 1% sell through option .

I am a beginner with a handful of names and also based in Australia, which means .com domains are actually quite expensive to hand reg and renew. Wondering how it is actually viable to accumulate 1000 reasonable domains without sinking $20k AUD or more, with no guaranteed return. So trading seemed like it could be a better entry point for learning ‘on the job’ while making a couple of bucks before scaling up.

I know that many will say try something like e-commerce instead if the investment and long game isn’t for me, but truth be known I am actually really drawn to the concept of domaining as I am a internet marketer at heart. It’s just the idea of acquiring thousands of domains just to get started which is a hard pill to swallow.

Keen to hear thoughts on this

•••
Glad you asked this as I too was wondering whether there was a ‘volume trading’ alternative to the long term 1% sell through option .

I am a beginner with a handful of names and also based in Australia, which means .com domains are actually quite expensive to hand reg and renew. Wondering how it is actually viable to accumulate 1000 reasonable domains without sinking $20k AUD or more, with no guaranteed return. So trading seemed like it could be a better entry point for learning ‘on the job’ while making a couple of bucks before scaling up.

I know that many will say try something like e-commerce instead if the investment and long game isn’t for me, but truth be known I am actually really drawn to the concept of domaining as I am a internet marketer at heart. It’s just the idea of acquiring thousands of domains just to get started which is a hard pill to swallow.

Keen to hear thoughts on this
Think about this. A stock of a good company, always has a price that someone would pay for it. A home, the same thing, there is always a price you can sell it for, even at a loss, you can still sell it. Same with almost everything, from phones to computers, cars or most clothing.

With domains, almost every domain registered now, cannot be sold even if you lowered the price to $1. In fact, only a small portion will even have any interest if you offered to push it to someone for free!

Anyone in this business long enough will at some point have the following though:

"How about I buy semi good names, hand reg or closeouts, and price them very affordable? 295?"

You do the math, you spend 10k and you get yourself 500 names, some at auction, some using a coupon, you get brandable, some keyword names, and at the low price of 295 you should be able to sell 100 of the 500 names and walk about with a 29k gross revenue. Now think if you did this with 5000 names? almost 300k gross.

The issue is that there aren't enough decent names to pick up at a price that has any resale value and there aren't enough people looking to buy names.

Namebio and auction activity can be very misleading. A huge amount of sales are thanks to domainers that are ready to hold for a long time. A business model based on selling names to domainers, unless you are gd, dc, nj, a registrar is doomed to fail.

You said you are a marketer, it's obviously a great skill to have. However, how do you see you applying that to this business?

•••
Think about this. A stock of a good company, always has a price that someone would pay for it. A home, the same thing, there is always a price you can sell it for, even at a loss, you can still sell it. Same with almost everything, from phones to computers, cars or most clothing.

With domains, almost every domain registered now, cannot be sold even if you lowered the price to $1. In fact, only a small portion will even have any interest if you offered to push it to someone for free!

Anyone in this business long enough will at some point have the following though:

"How about I buy semi good names, hand reg or closeouts, and price them very affordable? 295?"

You do the math, you spend 10k and you get yourself 500 names, some at auction, some using a coupon, you get brandable, some keyword names, and at the low price of 295 you should be able to sell 100 of the 500 names and walk about with a 29k gross revenue. Now think if you did this with 5000 names? almost 300k gross.

The issue is that there aren't enough decent names to pick up at a price that has any resale value and there aren't enough people looking to buy names.

Namebio and auction activity can be very misleading. A huge amount of sales are thanks to domainers that are ready to hold for a long time. A business model based on selling names to domainers, unless you are gd, dc, nj, a registrar is doomed to fail.

You said you are a marketer, it's obviously a great skill to have. However, how do you see you applying that to this business?
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond - as a relative newbie to domaining you have pointed out one key thing that I have only now just comprehended…the demand vs supply quotients are very different to almost any other industry under the sun.

In terms of my marketing chops, I am hoping these will assist in things like identifying brandables, understanding keyword search volumes, adding value to domains by building them out, and selling domains to end users (I have aspirations to set up a site on which my domain portfolio is listed, including a logo for each, like a ‘business starter site’ although this might be extra work for little reward, who knows)

•••

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond - as a relative newbie to domaining you have pointed out one key thing that I have only now just comprehended…the demand vs supply quotients are very different to almost any other industry under the sun.

In terms of my marketing chops, I am hoping these will assist in things like identifying brandables, understanding keyword search volumes, adding value to domains by building them out, and selling domains to end users (I have aspirations to set up a site on which my domain portfolio is listed, including a logo for each, like a ‘business starter site’ although this might be extra work for little reward, who knows)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back