Dynadot

registrars Buying GoDaddy Expired Domains? Watch your MX Records

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brandworthy

Established Member
Impact
For anyone buying deleted domains on Godaddy there's an issue that may be new to some - the previous domain owner will still be able to send/receive email on your new domain, if they had previously set up GoDaddy's older Webmail product.

The default MX records for all Godaddy names point MX to GD's mail servers, and this means that previous owners can still access their email on your domain. This issue requires no user intervention from the current domain owner - if you don't change the MX records after you purchase a name this issue could affect you.

The issue itself has been confirmed by my account rep, and the official response to identifying which domains might be affected amounts to checking each domain individually by trying to set up GD email for that domain. If this fails it means there's already an email account attached to that domain. The official solution is hardly scaleable, so an alternative is to use a bulk management tool to update all your MX records to point elsewhere.

I suspect this issue could affect other registries/hosts, but I'm surprised that GoDaddy has left this hole. It apparently only affects domains which used the old Godaddy Webmail product, and their current email products are not affected. Still, I imagine it could have legal ramifications for some domain owners if non-affiliated third parties are able to send/receive email from their domains. Watch your MX records!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, amazing something like this has persisted for so long without a fix by godaddy, thanks for sharing!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back