Dynadot

advice Brands.International at Medium.com - How to start with Domain Name Investing.

NameSilo
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
How to start with Domain Name Investing.

Being a domain name investor since 2014, so many people ask me daily how to start with the domain name investing, what skills one needs to have, and, of course … How Much Money One Can Make.

Read more ...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how much profit did you get since 2014?

•••
How to start with Domain Name Investing.

Being a domain name investor since 2014, so many people ask me daily how to start with the domain name investing, what skills one needs to have, and, of course … How Much Money One Can Make.

Read more ...
Very nice!

•••
how much profit did you get since 2014?
Connect me on LinkedIn if you are interested, I do not mind sharing a few details with you if that can help you and you are sincerely interested. Not going to discuss my personal finances on an open anonymous forum though, thanks :)

•••
•••
Connect me on LinkedIn if you are interested, I do not mind sharing a few details with you if that can help you and you are sincerely interested. Not going to discuss my personal finances on an open anonymous forum though, thanks :)
Its not a curiocity, but you talk about domain invest and have new extension portfolio, so you just must somehow state the profit

•••
Its not a curiocity, but you talk about domain invest and have new extension portfolio, so you just must somehow state the profit
I am not sure anyone "must" do anything they aren't comfortable doing. He wrote an article on his experience and very clearly stated it is his opinion. Giving an opinion on a matter, that not everyone agrees with takes some big....well let's just say, big things.....For that he should be commended, but he "must" do as he pleases.

•••
Very nice writeup! Some solid advice there that goes a long way no matter what extension you're investing in. Thanks. I enjoyed the read.

•••
Nice article!

I started domaining on 2019 and my first sale was on a dot online extension.

Although dot com is the king (you only have to see the number of sales), there are some good opportunities in other TLD's

•••
I am not sure anyone "must" do anything they aren't comfortable doing. He wrote an article on his experience and very clearly stated it is his opinion. Giving an opinion on a matter, that not everyone agrees with takes some big....well let's just say, big things.....For that he should be commended, but he "must" do as he pleases.
its not exactly as you say.. in this business the only really considered proof of the right desion is a net profit..
at least last 3 years he insists in the good future of the new gTLDs and we all saw his portfolio, we all time to time see sale reports of new gTLDs..but if somebody insists in something he has to give some proof..i dont ask the excat amount, but the best proof of the right portfolio decision will be not a well written post but the amount of profit... without any profit information, the author portfolio has the same value as the portfolio of "king of top"..

Last edited:
•••
its not exactly as you say.. in this business the only really considered proof of the right desion is a net profit..
at least last 3 years he insists in the good future of the new gTLDs and we all saw his portfolio, we all time to time see sale reports of new gTLDs..but if somebody insists in something he has to give some proof..i dont ask the excat amount, but the best proof of the right portfolio decision will be not a well written post but the amount of profit... without any profit information, the author portfolio has the same value as the portfolio of "king of top"..
I have to say I kind of agree with what I think you're saying. You wouldn't take martial arts advice from someone who had never been in a fight or combat advice from someone who has never seen action. It's good to be able to talk the talk but you have to have walked the walk to make it credible.

I mean no offence and I'm not saying this is the case with the OP as I don't know him.

Last edited:
•••
Very nice writeup! Some solid advice there that goes a long way no matter what extension you're investing in. Thanks. I enjoyed the read.
Thank you NameDeck, I am glad you liked it :) More articles are coming, I made now few weeks available for that.

•••
Nice article!

I started domaining on 2019 and my first sale was on a dot online extension.

Although dot com is the king (you only have to see the number of sales), there are some good opportunities in other TLD's
Thanks, M0rd0r, and glad you had a first sale on .online - that is one of my fav extensions :)

Last edited:
•••
It's not been 3 years, but at least 4 years - just to be exact :) And it will be another 15 -20 years more at least in the future :)

•••
Thanks Internet.Domains for your kind words! I indeed have big ... well, let's say ... portfolio :)

•••
Fair enough. There are some domain bloggers who don't give numbers and I imagine you read their blogs. Do you give them the same scrutiny? Or, is it different because of the NewG's?

•••
well researched articled - thanks for sharing.

•••
Thank you NameDeck, I am glad you liked it :) More articles are coming, I made now few weeks available for that.

Cool. I'll be checking it out. I'm not that keen on gTLDs generally speaking but it is refreshing to read about and you have thought things through. There's always the possibility for failure, but that goes just the same for .com investors.

They're growing on me though. I have branded some small businesses on new TLDs (+ matching .com as a backup ;) ) and it's not doing bad.

Acquired a bunch across various TLDs early this year and made some moderate sales, mid $xxx so not that bad for reg fee + a couple of months hold.

•••
Thank you for the nicely written and presented article @Brands.International !

I agree with the point that the golden time of .com was in the days when most people thought investing in domain names was silly, and that is a long time ago. I would not go quite as far as the view in the article about whether money remains to be made there. I think, primarily, the lucrative part of com these days is the very high end (generic single words) that is outside the means of many of us, and also the very best of the made up names being sold at the brandable places (and some are doing well there).

Even in the new extensions, it is getting harder to get quality names at bargain prices, as I am sure you agree. That said, there is no doubt that you can get an elegant, potentially highly valuable to an end user, new extension name still within the means of most investors, and I think on some time scale the best matches across the dot will be rewarded, and a number have already.

Uniqueness and something special is critical to all forms of domain investing. The successful new extension investor does need to look at all of the possibilities with so many extensions. In that way, it is, in my mind, somewhat like two word .com. Your match needs to be great, and not easily repeated with a different word + extension combination.

I think the final point, about seeking only names for big corporate buyers, is a good strategy for many, but I disagree that it is the only way to make money. The non-business sector, non-profits, causes, influencers, celebrities, professionals, etc., is I think a rich potential ground for new domain extensions. Nonprofits often pay big bucks for the right name. There is a political controversy in Canada right now around a nonprofit, and it was recently released that they paid $500,000 for their .org domain name (or possibly $1 million, some lack of clarity in document). There have been 5-figure, at least, sales of new extensions to nonprofits.

One point that I continue to try to understand is the impact of the increase in country code extensions, both national and general purpose, on new extensions. On the one hand, they crowd out some buyers who might have gone for a new extension. For sure .io and .co have done this with respect to some new extensions like .tech,.app, .technology, etc. But by becoming popular will they pave the way for acceptance of a large universe of domain extensions, including new extensions?

Anyway, thanks again for a well written article.

Sincerely,

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Acquired a bunch across various TLDs early this year and made some moderate sales, mid $xxx so not that bad for reg fee + a couple of months hold.

Profit does not distinguish between extensions. People do.

Congrats on the sales!

•••
But by becoming popular will they pave the way for acceptance of a large universe of domain extensions, including new extensions?

Yes. Absolutely yes. The path is being paved. Some see it, some don't. All good 👍.

•••

I wouldn't tell you either

•••
Thank you for the nicely written and presented article @Brands.International !

I agree with the point that the golden time of .com was in the days when most people thought investing in domain names was silly, and that is a long time ago. I would not go quite as far as the view in the article about whether money remains to be made there. I think, primarily, the lucrative part of com these days is the very high end (generic single words) that is outside the means of many of us, and also the very best of the made up names being sold at the brandable places (and some are doing well there).

Even in the new extensions, it is getting harder to get quality names at bargain prices, as I am sure you agree. That said, there is no doubt that you can get an elegant, potentially highly valuable to an end user, new extension name still within the means of most investors, and I think on some time scale the best matches across the dot will be rewarded, and a number have already.

Uniqueness and something special is critical to all forms of domain investing. The successful new extension investor does need to look at all of the possibilities with so many extensions. In that way, it is, in my mind, somewhat like two word .com. Your match needs to be great, and not easily repeated with a different word + extension combination.

I think the final point, about seeking only names for big corporate buyers, is a good strategy for many, but I disagree that it is the only way to make money. The non-business sector, non-profits, causes, influencers, celebrities, professionals, etc., is I think a rich potential ground for new domain extensions. Nonprofits often pay big bucks for the right name. There is a political controversy in Canada right now around a nonprofit, and it was recently released that they paid $500,000 for their .org domain name (or possibly $1 million, some lack of clarity in document). There have been 5-figure, at least, sales of new extensions to nonprofits.

One point that I continue to try to understand is the impact of the increase in country code extensions, both national and general purpose, on new extensions. On the one hand, they crowd out some buyers who might have gone for a new extension. For sure .io and .co have done this with respect to some new extensions like .tech,.app, .technology, etc. But by becoming popular will they pave the way for acceptance of a large universe of domain extensions, including new extensions?

Anyway, thanks again for a well written article.

Sincerely,

Bob
Thank you, Bob :) I much appreciate your kind words and glad you liked that article!

I totally agree with you saying: "Even in the new extensions, it is getting harder to get quality names at bargain prices, as I am sure you agree"

And that is correct - particularly at Dynadot, now often good expiring new gTLDs are auctioned around $300 - $600. Those prices were not that high one year or two years ago, so this means there is more interest among the domain investors. So I assume, that in next 2-3 years the prices there will be around $1000.

Which is basically a wholesale price, as most people who are buying expired domains there are domain investors afaik. Will then 1st new gTLD name get also to Top section at Namepros? Who knows ... I am curious :)

•••
It depends on how much money do you have?
How much money are you going to put into the domain name,
At present the market individual feels 4L.COM is the most suitable investment

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back