Domain Empire

As a Domainer, Will You Put a NameBlock Block on Your Names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
NameBlock is launching soon (expected in the next month or so). NameBlock will allow you to pay to place a block on a series of characters (such as your product name, brand, company name, etc.).

You'll be able to place that block so no one can register a domain that contains those characters, and a ton of common variations. For example, if PayPal would put a block on PayPal, then domains like PayPa1.com, PayPa1.net, etc. couldn't be registered. They'll show up as being not available to register.

You don't have to have a trademark to put a NameBlock on. But you'll pay annually for the block.

As a domainer, are you planning on putting block on your more valuable names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
abusemanager.com aka iq.global … NameBlock

•••
Last edited:
•••
When I talked to someone at NameBlock, they indicated that there were other registries that have already signed on with NameBlock, I think it was at least 13 registries that were already signed, which is a more than those "shortdot' TLDs.
I am just going by the single RSEP request that was filed, for the extensions I mentioned.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rsep-2014-02-19-en

I think this "service" is being greatly overhyped in this thread.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
3 mayor registries refused … cos they’re already providing the froze TM +words and block abuse.

Regards
The only registries that are likely to embrace this are the ones that hardly anyone cares about.

The extensions with demand don't really need to bother with selling vaporware to customers.

Brad

•••
My company will most likely be a reselle….

You should do more DD … so you can understand why I’m not suggesting but telling… you don’t want to do business with ….

DD first. It’s not going to make you so much exciting after.

Regards

•••
The only registries that are likely to embrace this are the ones that hardly anyone cares about.

The extensions with demand don't really need to bother with selling vaporware to customers.

Brad

The Funny part is … heavily abused gtld s provider (rather than calling it registry) is the first to bond with the….

More and more the DN Industry is becoming the wax process

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it "should never happen", true.

But we can wish all we want that it shouldn't happen--but most likely Verisign and the most popular registries have already signed on an accepted NameBlock. So we have to accept that it's going forward and have to deal with it as domainers and domain owners.

It was already 'launched' about a year ago.

imo u should close this nonsense thread and idea noone likes and stop posting here while u still have traces of respect and reputation left among np members. that is if u care for that sort of thing of course. gl.

•••
The DNJournal article, pretty glowing on NameBlock, just out includes this statement "Lars Jensen's ShortDot SA is one of many Registry operators that have included their TLDs in the NameBlock system." I have asked Ron if there were specific registries mentioned by Lars, since the ICANN documentation seem to just show the ShortDot, as others mentioned earlier in this thread. I will let you know if I get an answer.

I personally have no problem if it is used within one registry to prevent registrations of confusingly similar names in one extension.

All the descriptions of it seem vague, but if it is indeed much broader than that so that a block can be made through a private for-profit business, with costs involved in getting improper blocks removed, it is a serious impediment to the operation of the web.

Even if this were a good idea, it should not be coming from those invested in specific registries, but rather be a disinterested third party without a profit motivation.

Nevertheless, the article does support much of what @bhartzer said in this thread.

I wish they were open to questions without needing to agree to a NDA - that sort of defeats any effort to get hard questions answered.

-Bob

•••
The DNJournal article, pretty glowing on NameBlock, just out includes this statement "Lars Jensen's ShortDot SA is one of many Registry operators that have included their TLDs in the NameBlock system." I have asked Ron if there were specific registries mentioned by Lars, since the ICANN documentation seem to just show the ShortDot, as others mentioned earlier in this thread. I will let you know if I get an answer.

I personally have no problem if it is used within one registry to prevent registrations of confusingly similar names in one extension.

All the descriptions of it seem vague, but if it is indeed much broader than that so that a block can be made through a private for-profit business, with costs involved in getting improper blocks removed, it is a serious impediment to the operation of the web.

Even if this were a good idea, it should not be coming from those invested in specific registries, but rather be a disinterested third party without a profit motivation.

Nevertheless, the article does support much of what @bhartzer said in this thread.

I wish they were open to questions without needing to agree to a NDA - that sort of defeats any effort to get hard questions answered.

-Bob
Last I heard it was 13 registries that were signed on, and that would imply that it's a lot more than just the Shortdot TLDs. I will try to get an answer from them as well.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Please tell us which registries are we talking about, so we can piss on them and send the shit straight to hell. 1984.

•••
Last I heard it was 13 registries that were signed on, and that would imply that it's a lot more than just the Shortdot TLDs. I will try to get an answer from them as well.

13 out of the 1589 TLDs you can pick... Not that impressive/noteworthy.

Last edited:
•••
Would like to see the list though. Will be fun to see what 13 gTLDs are involved.

•••
•••
Reads like a paid article. Also the diagram is worrying using words like "monitor" and "dispute" for registered domains.

•••
I will let you know if I get an answer.
Ron got back to me quickly, giving the following. So it appears the other registries are expected to be on soon, but not already. He has updated the quote In the article that I asked about.
Went back through my notes and when we were discussing onboarding registries Kevin thought they could have around 50 on board by year end (he did not say they were there now, so an incorrect assumption on my part). I have updated that passage.

Last edited:
•••
Reads like a paid article. Also the diagram is worrying using words like "monitor" and "dispute" for registered domains.
I have nothing but respect for Ron, but that does read like a puff piece.

In my view it is impossible to make any real judgment without far more information.

 Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have nothing but respect for Ron, but that does read like a puff piece.

In my view it is impossible to make any real judgment without far more information.

 Brad
Gotta agree with you.

At the moment it seems they're trying to will it into existence with smoke and mirror articles and ill-informed forum threads. The more people are talking about the thing that isn't a thing yet, the closer it becomes to being a thing even if the talk is mostly about the thing not being a thing.

I'm just gonna leave it at "I don't like it" for now. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
•••
Gotta agree with you.

At the moment it seems they're trying to will it into existence with smoke and mirror articles and ill-informed forum threads. The more people are talking about the thing that isn't a thing yet, the closer it becomes to being a thing even if the talk is mostly about the thing not being a thing.

I'm just gonna leave it at "I don't like it" for now. Better safe than sorry.
>> ill-informed forum threads.

Who is ill-informed? There's a lot we know about NameBlock from their website and some filings/documents. There is some info that we don't know (like exactly 'which' registrars it's going to work with). But that's about it.

•••
Thanks Bill. I would not be a customer but good luck with it. Seems like a bit of a pipe dream. I've seen a lot of pipe dreams in my life.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back