Dynadot

Are brandables worth "investing" in?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I see a lot of brandable domains in the .com space that would make great Web 2.0 sites. But the more I think about it I can't help but come to the conclusion that brandables just don't make sense to invest in unless you're going to develop them.

The ability to sell them to a tiny targeted slice of the market that happens to be looking for that exact Web 2.0-ish word or term seems limited.

But on the other hand they are short (usually less than 10 characters), and are recognizable.

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
10 character brandable domains? If you're just starting out, focus on the dictionary terms and keyword domains. Find them on the expired domain auctions.

•••
10 character brandable domains? If you're just starting out, focus on the dictionary terms and keyword domains. Find them on the expired domain auctions.

Well I should have been more clear. I am talking about dictionary terms. Ok, some are 7 or 8 characters, but some are 9. I've seen some "good" ones for 6 even. But they are still words that are not common, and thus I describe them as "brandable".

So I take it you view these as worth investing a few dollars in?

•••
If they are aged domains then go right ahead. But check to see if they got a TM before you make the purchase. Be prepared to to wait awhile for the right end user.

•••
"Brandable" names have various forms. Dictionary terms and combinations of it, may have some investment squatting value in it-- compared to exotic "brandables" like AGODA.COM. I mean if you are a domainer, you'll definitely ask- what the FK is an AGODA, right? Will you pay annual renewals on such lottery-type brandables waiting for a buyer?

I also think that end-users who are window-shopping for "Dictionary-term" brandables, are more inclined to walk away if the asking price is too expensive. I think this is because dictionary terms can be mixed and matched into a lot of possible combinations which they could buy at reg fee or just a few dollars more.

The really exotic ones can command a high price, because there simply is nothing else like it out there. But the probability of finding a buyer can span 3 lifetimes.

So i think if you consider yourself a "domainer" who is into "brandable" porfolio, i guess you need to have a stable non-domaining job to pay-off the maintenance costs of your domain collection.

•••
I think investing in nice radio test passing 5 letter .coms is not a bad idea. I had good experience with them. But of course they should be only a part of your portfolio.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back