IT.COM

Affiliate profits

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have always been worried about spending money promoting affiliate programs. The problem being, such a small percentage of your traffic actually buys, that it doesn't seem worth the investment in traffic. Is it worth my time? However, if I could know roughly how much you guys make in affiliate programs, I might be swayed in my prejudices of this as a means of earning revenue. How much do you guys earn in affiliate profits, and what percentage of your traffic actually buys, and what products do you guys think sell best?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've tried lots of affiliate programs and the profit is $0.00. NADA. People are getting smarter by the minutes, so if they see something interesting they would just type the url in a new window instead of clicking on the link. I've give up on this type of profit making business cuz it's not very effective.

•••
I would say for most its worthless. There are many things to look at in an affiliate program. First you need to know how much the minimum is before the company pays you with cash. If the company is paying 5% per sale, however, you have to raise at least 100.00 before they send you a check, I would say that is not a good program. The minimum 100.00 figure must be low. I would say 20.00 is acceptable but I wouldnt pick a program with only 5% payout. It takes some research.

I think people who are successful at affiliate programs are people who really focus on Search engine optimization and little markets. You must really be dedicated to the project also. When I say little markets I mean if youre going to sell dvds on your own dvd store its going to be very difficult because the market is huge and everyone is doing that. But if you focus on a smaller market like "indiana jones" you can be much more effective.

Since your focus should be on search engine optimization you'll need to be able to alter the pages also and create your own. Some affiliate programs will offer you your own store (which they host) and you need to just purchase a domain. This defeats the process and makes it virually impossible to market because you cant exchange links and add seo friendly pages.

Personally I would say dont do it 98% fail at least -
start a business which is your own. Something you can grow and develop a great name.

Good luck either way.

•••
I do that google ad sense thing i think its affiliate and tiger direct, with tiger direct probally 20.00CDN dollars, and with Google adsense monthly 50USD DOLLARS!

•••
i have tried it but i haven't been successful. It is hard beacuse people know more about such things and don't follow the links

•••
identity_00 said:
I would say for most its worthless. There are many things to look at in an affiliate program. First you need to know how much the minimum is before the company pays you with cash. If the company is paying 5% per sale, however, you have to raise at least 100.00 before they send you a check, I would say that is not a good program. The minimum 100.00 figure must be low. I would say 20.00 is acceptable but I wouldnt pick a program with only 5% payout. It takes some research.

I think people who are successful at affiliate programs are people who really focus on Search engine optimization and little markets. You must really be dedicated to the project also. When I say little markets I mean if youre going to sell dvds on your own dvd store its going to be very difficult because the market is huge and everyone is doing that. But if you focus on a smaller market like "indiana jones" you can be much more effective.

Since your focus should be on search engine optimization you'll need to be able to alter the pages also and create your own. Some affiliate programs will offer you your own store (which they host) and you need to just purchase a domain. This defeats the process and makes it virually impossible to market because you cant exchange links and add seo friendly pages.

Personally I would say dont do it 98% fail at least -
start a business which is your own. Something you can grow and develop a great name.

Good luck either way.

good remarks...
i think you're right ....

:bingo:

•••
loudcash.com
My monthly stats are here

I've had a lot of luck with them so far, with just under 1500 uniques/day I'm on pace to earning over $300 this month. Much better than parking :]

•••
HI

I have a domain name I got for $17 from the enom drop club and so far this month it has made me $54 from an affiliate program (Adult Related) from 2000 click thrus so it works out to around 1 sale per 400 clicks , but the commission is only $10.97 per sale :( still more then I made from parking the domain the month before, Plus the commission is recurring residual income..so I hope over time it will build to a nice money maker...

Thanks
Tom Dahne

•••
Also it all depends on the market you are trying to promote, I would suggest using a keyword tool like overture and see what people are surching for the most and go for that market. :)

•••
Allright, I'm using made up numbers to not violate any TOS.

I am very, very pleased with my AdWords results, but mind you, you would have to hold any of us upside down over the coals to get actual items that we are selling, as competition would kill any profits people made.

The theory:

Find a CPC advertising site. Whether it is adwords, overture, or smaller ones like adengage.

Find a product to sell, pref high priced but something people buy online.

Find the affiliate program that works with a store that sells that item, and find the one with the highest payout %.

Set up your accounts, and give it a go... My experience on my widget of choice.

I pay 5 every time anyone clicks through. I make 1225 every time someone actually buys the item. Approximately one out of 150 clicks ends up buying, meaning it costs me 750 for a profit of 1225.

The key: finding your item, and watching your stats. If your conversion ratio drops below the level that keeps you in the black, cut it.

-Allan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back