Dynadot

Advice needed - Should I change to vps?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I am currently with hostingzoom, and haven't been happy, since their change last year, since when my service has become, worse, and sometimes the server is so slow the the browser times out.
I currently pay $25 a month for a cpanel account with whm.

I wanted to know should I change to a vps server?

1)with a vps server would it be quicker?
2)also would it be more reliable?
3)Also my host doesn't currently allow sending of newsletters easily, with a vps server could i send as many newsletters to clients as i want or is there a limit?
4) do i need any extra knowlege to use a vps server?
5) would i need to purchase my own ssl certificate or would the vps contain one?

Also what is the difference between a semi dedicated server and vps?

thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why not just try another hosting provider?
I would advise a VPS if you have sites using a lot of server resources but if not, it seems a little pointless.

With a VPS you are getting a mini server basicaly a partition of a dedicated server, so, inturn you get more resources and more control over what happens.

•••
ridesign1 said:

It most probably WILL, because you get your guarranteed resourses (RAM, most importantly). However, good (i.e. not oversold) shared hosting will beat any vps, for not resourse-hungry sites.

ridesign1 said:

Could be, if you'll manage your VPS with great knowledge and dedication.

ridesign1 said:
3)Also my host doesn't currently allow sending of newsletters easily, with a vps server could i send as many newsletters to clients as i want or is there a limit?

Almost every VPS plan I know comes with dedicated IPs and dedicated email software (sendmail, Exim, qmail, postfix, etc etc etc), so you'll be responsible for those yourself. Nobody will come and tell you how many emails you can send - *unless* you'll spam (then your vps could be suspended, so check the TOS, before you sign them).

ridesign1 said:

Yes, you'll need to have at least basic knowledge of Linux. Even with fully managed VPS, you'll have to do basic things yourself and not harass support. :)

ridesign1 said:
5) would i need to purchase my own ssl certificate or would the vps contain one?

I am not aware of any VPS plan containing SSL certificate. You'll must either purchase it or issue a homemade, self-signed one.

•••
I would suggest a vps account. Give you full control over everything so you don't have to worry about what others might be doing that could bring the server to it's knees

•••
•••
localpub said:
It most probably WILL, because you get your guarranteed resourses (RAM, most importantly). However, good (i.e. not oversold) shared hosting will beat any vps, for not resourse-hungry sites.
is there an easy way to find shared hosting which is not oversold?
Also as i have 30 sites do i need to find reseller hosting?

thanks

•••
ridesign1 said:
is there an easy way to find shared hosting which is not oversold?
Also as i have 30 sites do i need to find reseller hosting?

thanks

The first thing to look at are prices. If host offers 5gb space and 200gb bandwidth for $2.95 it's oversold like hell. You should be looking for a well established companies (one my recommendation could be http://httpme.com - it's THE ULTIMATE in hosting and support), where 1gb of transfer costs around $0.50 or more. I know you'll need to overcome your urge NOT to pay such prices, but if you REALLY want hosting with integrity, the only way is to pay what it really costs.

For 30 sites you don't need reseller account, but an usual shared one, which does not limit domains hosted.

Good luck!!!

•••
You could also look at dotable.com which can work out a little cheaper than httpme.com and is operated by the same support team

•••
Duport said:
You could also look at dotable.com which can work out a little cheaper than httpme.com and is operated by the same support team

Not exactly. An ex-owner of httpme (known as AussieBob) sold his company and started dotable.

•••
ridesign1 said:
Hi,
I am currently with hostingzoom, and haven't been happy, since their change last year, since when my service has become, worse, and sometimes the server is so slow the the browser times out.
I currently pay $25 a month for a cpanel account with whm.

I wanted to know should I change to a vps server?

No, general at a given price point shared is quicker then a vps actually for a number of reasons.

It is not answerable. Either can be, VPS in theory has the edge but too many other factors are involved here to say one is more reliable then the other.

Yes, but make sure you have full double opt in logs, or you could get yourself shut down.

With most services/plans, yes, you are responsible for more of the systems set up and running.

You would have to buy it, generate one, or get one from cacert.org

Also what is the difference between a semi dedicated server and vps?

thanks

Semi dedicated is a lightly loaded shared hosting offering.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back