Domain Empire

Adult sites co-hosted on my IP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Using reverse IP tool I found that there is a number of adult websites hosted on the same IP as mine. Is there anything bad about this? What should I be aware of? Many thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
vitalir said:
Using reverse IP tool I found that there is a number of adult websites hosted on the same IP as mine. Is there anything bad about this? What should I be aware of? Many thanks.
If those adult sites are providing malicious materials and his shared ip gets banned somewhere, definitely it will effect your customers from that specific range. Though, its always better to keep a dedicated IP if it really matters with your business. So that your access keeps yourself, no one else can ruin its popularity or priority. :)

•••
Yes there is as mellow-h points out the potential that the IP may get blacklisted. Ideally you should ask that your sites be moved to a different IP.

•••
For example China's great firewall blocks a lot of IP's based on many criteria, and the first one is adult material.
So they can be an issue. It would be better to move to a dedicated IP or to a host that doesn't allow adult contents. (There are many.)

•••
Many hosts will sell you a dedicated IP for quite cheap.
I got one for $1 a month.

•••
-NC- said:
Many hosts will sell you a dedicated IP for quite cheap.
I got one for $1 a month.

Quite cheap! It isn't same as dedicated server right? Same physical server can be shared with other users, but the IP is unique for you correct?

•••
That is correct. The server would remain the same just the ip used to reach it would be different.

It is not unusual for server to have many IP's pointing to it.

•••
I think that you have to contact your web hosting provider and ask him to move your web site for other IP (shared also) without any adult related web sites

•••
A separate IP may not be such a big factor for search engines is that's your concern (like the supposed myth of using different IPs for different sites to get a more favorable view from the SEs), but in this case the issue is about being affected by the behavior of your neighbors, not just in the same server but a shared IP that can unecessarily get your site banned.

So best to request for a dedicated IP if the site is important to you. It's usually $1 to $3 a month. Understandably, that's not small if your hosting account just costs you $3 a month too, but in the bigger scheme of things, that's not too bad if it helps you sleep better at night.

•••
shared IP that can unecessarily get your site banned
banned IP it doesn't mean site banned. ;)

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
banned IP it doesn't mean site banned. ;)

End of the day it has the same effect. People not able to access the site.

•••
peter@flexiwebhost said:
End of the day it has the same effect. People not able to access the site.
Tis true tis true. Ask for a dedicated ip there 2.99 usualy.

•••
you can't avoid this if you're on a shared ip in which the hosting provider allows adult hosting, the best thing to do like Camron said, is to get a dedicated ip address
vitalir said:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back