IT.COM

Addon domains vs reseller

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Im considering changing from a reseller account and going back to a addon domain package on a shared hosting account (never used addon domains before). This is becuase i only host around 5-10 websites at most.

Im just wondering what peoples views are on addon domains overall. By doing this i could save a substantial amount but would my websites be effected. Just wondering if anyone has any views on this?

Many Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you're talking a relatively small number of sites - I'd say anything under 15 - then addon domains are the way to go IMHO. A good shared account is generally cheaper than a reseller one so it never hurts to save a few bucks. With a control panel such as cPanel, you have access to everything you need to run each domain: stats, email, and so on from a single control panel versus remembering 5-10 different passwords and account details.

•••
That sounds good to me so looks like the way forward i think but will be more than happy for anyone else who wishes to add thier views.

Now to decide to move to a shared package with my current host or move choices, choices!

Thanks for your input.

•••
It depends on the capacity of the server. If you have shell access, run "top" (without the quotes) and have a look at the memory and CPU usage. If you use CPanel you can see the system load and a few other indicators. If you don't have shell access to your server then ask your hosting company how many sites they have per server.

The other consideration to make is that if your host goes down, so does your entire portfolio. For that reason alone I use multiple providers.

•••
I would say use addon domain, it is a lot easier to manage if you have a Cpanel.

For the FTP process, it will be easier since you just log into one account and you access all the sites at once. Which makes updating things into different sites way easier.

I don't think your website will be affected. I only see a good advantage is in the time saving.

•••
Well, There are a couple of things that you need to think about.
Most of the host will have something regarding this in their TOS which will prevent you from reselling with out a reseller account. That means, you will need a reseller account to resell your services.
Second point is convenience. It will be difficult to manage accounts with out a control panel. So it won't be almost impossible to give more control for them for a domain.
But if all domains are related to you and there are not different people there to manage things, addon domains will be good.

•••
iHubNet-Matt said:
Well, There are a couple of things that you need to think about.
Most of the host will have something regarding this in their TOS which will prevent you from reselling with out a reseller account. That means, you will need a reseller account to resell your services.
Second point is convenience. It will be difficult to manage accounts with out a control panel. So it won't be almost impossible to give more control for them for a domain.
But if all domains are related to you and there are not different people there to manage things, addon domains will be good.

Thanks for that but all my domains are mine and run by me. I wouldn't move from a reseller to a shared hosting package if i had clients. I dont resell any space as i dont have the time 24/7 to support it etc :)

•••
I this case I'm sure that addon domains is solution for you.

•••
dc1pop said:
Thanks for that but all my domains are mine and run by me. I wouldn't move from a reseller to a shared hosting package if i had clients. I dont resell any space as i dont have the time 24/7 to support it etc :)

If that is the case, Addon domains will be enough for you. The only issue is that you don't have separate control panel logins for each domain, but if you are the only one to manage the accounts, you won't need separate control panel logins.

•••
afaik, one other issue to consider is that cpanel does not allow you to park domains over an add on domain ( though .htaccess trickery can be done, and some hosts will manually park the domains for you )

i've had issues with this when using multi site CMS systems, e.g. drupal

•••
i've had issues with this when using multi site CMS systems, e.g. drupal
For such cases better to use adapted web host, but with addon domains. Agree with Matt.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back