IT.COM

About Bob Marley

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is Bob Marley trademark? What do you think?

I want to know this answer ASAP

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
sdsinc said:
Like any celebrity...

Ok.. but Can I buy any domain with this name?

•••
jupapa said:
Ok.. but Can I buy any domain with this name?

You can but don't attempt to monetize it & achieve financial gain by using his name.

check uspto.gov

•••
notlikeyou said:
You can but don't attempt to monetize it & achieve financial gain by using his name.

check uspto.gov

Thanks guys....

•••
it depends, it is ok to make a fan site and put some adsense or affiliate links in it. But make sure you put enough fan stuff in it to have some value. Check my sites at my sig: Ian Gillan and Faith No More

•••
elias75 said:
it depends, it is ok to make a fan site and put some adsense or affiliate links in it. But make sure you put enough fan stuff in it to have some value. Check my sites at my sig: Ian Gillan and Faith No More

Good point.. I want to buy a domain to monetize it through parking or affiliate links, I don't know yet.

Estibot says about the domain mid $x,xxx

but TM's phantom is here....

Last edited:
•••
IMO it would be best to develop it (even as a mini site, easy with www.noomle.com - this is where my Faith No More is)

I am not sure how it will do just parked.... I got www.manic-street-preachers.com @ sedo but with very little traffic.....

on the other hand, Bod Marley is WAY MORE popular than the Manics so you could be more lucky....

•••
elias75 said:
IMO it would be best to develop it (even as a mini site, easy with www.noomle.com - this is where my Faith No More is)

I am not sure how it will do just parked.... I got www.manic-street-preachers.com @ sedo but with very little traffic.....

on the other hand, Bod Marley is WAY MORE popular than the Manics so you could be more lucky....

Thanks man..valuable opinion

•••
elias75 said:
it is ok to make a fan site and put some adsense or affiliate links in it.

Could you show me where you found this information?

•••
notlikeyou said:
Could you show me where you found this information?

I do not have a reference as such to show you but judging from my own experience I do not see why this

could be wrong....

Building a fan site about the x singer/band/tennis player etc is firstly about celebrating your fan-ness about it! You scream out to the world how great he or she is and you provide a platform for discussions with other fans, memorabilia collections, rare stuff etc etc After all a fan site promotes the name and the works of the artist/sports player/whatever........

I have never had a problem with my fan sites and I plan to develop more in the future.

Most fan sites do have some adsense and some affiliate links. Having said that one should not expect to get rich from it, just some small (or bigger) pocket money depending on how often you promote etc

However, there might be a different situation with Bob Marley. Not sure who collects royalties and who is dealing with the legal stuff (and what sort of strategy they have in mind). Also there might be a different situation with celebrities such as Paris Hilton or with TV personalities.....

I can only speak according to my experience and my experience is with the music industry. I have been working with musicians for quite some time (as a journalist and as marketing rep in record labels) and never, ever came across any sort of dispute over domain names whatsoever....

Of course things are completely different when it comes to names related to products (ipod etc) or to large corporation (Disney, Apple etc)...

•••
•••
•••
notlikeyou said:
Here is about a weeks worth of reading about "fan sites"

http://www.namepros.com/search.php?searchid=2945109

this link doesn't work

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

it would be interested to read this

HuntingMoon said:
Celia Cruz's estate just won a wipo in a related real-world example of what can happen:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3iff50ba6951560a30fc08ca98688cf1c6

very interesting....

notice the last line:
"According to Eventus CEO Nelson Albareda, the celiacruz.com domain had been to drive traffic to other Web sites."

what other sites? was it a parked page?
A fan site should drive traffic to the official website and to products related with the artist (amazon/ebay etc) after all a fan site is ment to promote the artist's products which means more sales for the artist.
Take a look at any fan site about anyone, all praise their idols.
For the Celia Cruz, case the actual name made the difference: can you compare celiacruz.com with celiacruzonline.com?

•••
You can just go to the top of the forum & enter "fan site" for a search term or visit the legal section, there are many many threads with the same question & many of the responses are from a well known (and often hilarious) lawyer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back