NameSilo

3 letter domains - With numbers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What are the views, estimated worth of 3 letter domains (.com/.net) where one of the letters is a number?
Can the position of the number change the value, or the number itself change it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you have described is a 3 character domain vice a 3 letter domain. Very big difference in value. With regards to number position, mr2 would carry a better value then 2mr.

•••
acts837 said:
What you have described is a 3 character domain vice a 3 letter domain. Very big difference in value. With regards to number position, mr2 would carry a better value then 2mr.
Sorry, badly worded, I'd forgotten that English is my first language :)

So numbers at end are better than elsewhere? - I assume the majority of 3 character domains worth reg fee only ?

•••
Also it matters if it is part of a word EG. D0G.com, That would make it worth more

•••
Jiblob said:
Also it matters if it is part of a word EG. D0G.com, That would make it worth more

Why would D0G.com be worth more than DG0.com ?????? Nobody would type the word "dog" with zero instead of the letter "o". These are the worst possible 3char names you can find - if you developed d0g.com, you'd just lose 70% of your traffic to DOG.com, whereas 4u2.com or t42.com or something of that kind would be much better idea, since they have a meaning when spelled out. IMHO

•••
There are so many variables to consider when it comes to 3-character names..

1) Is it all letters?
2) Does it have an obvoius meaning? (i.e. cat, fly...)
3) If it's 3-letters, is it a well-known acronym? (IRS, NFL)
4) Does it contain "lesser" letters like J, Q, X and Z?
5) If it contains two letters and one number, does the number placement give the domain an obvious meaning? (mp3, rx7)
6) Does the number take the place of a letter? (as in d0g) I believe this makes the name worth more than dg0, for example.
7) Do the letters take the place of sounds or words? (gr8, b2b)

Lots of variables make it challenging to determine value unless we know more of the specifics.
:blink:

•••
lind said:
Why would D0G.com be worth more than DG0.com ?????? Nobody would type the word "dog" with zero instead of the letter "o". These are the worst possible 3char names you can find - if you developed d0g.com, you'd just lose 70% of your traffic to DOG.com, whereas 4u2.com or t42.com or something of that kind would be much better idea, since they have a meaning when spelled out. IMHO

Yeh, it's likely someone WOULD type d0g.com instead of dog.com, as the zero key is right above the o on a QWERTY keyboard. So, I'd agree with him/her that d0g.com would be worth much more than dg0.com.

•••
With regards to number position, mr2 would carry a better value then 2mr.
Although the LLN position is generally better than NLL, I think that this particular example is debatable, because "2" is frequently used in names to represent "to" as in " to Mr" ("To Mister") wheras Mr2 is more ambiguous in meaning. But, I confess that I am biased in this regard because I happen to own the rights to 2Mr.com.

Less debatable, are names w/ a "4" in first position, where "4" = "for", including: 4Dr, 4MD, 4Rx, 4DN, 4OS, 4IQ, and 4NY, all names that I have regged in various tld's). IMO, .info works particularly well w/ names of this type.

Because number/letter combos aren't a natural for type-ins and are not commonly used in searches, the key to their usefulness is in their brandability. When people see 4Rx, what immediately comes to mind? Do they think "prescriptions? Does 4Rx read as a shortened version of "For Rx". Does this transfer over to an association w/ "For Prescriptions"? The name is certainly short, but is the meaning clear enough to attract attention and is it catchy enough to be memorable? IMO, in tthe case of 4Rx, the answer to these questions is an affirmative, "Yes!", and that is how I will be presenting the name to companies that are selling and/or promoting prescription drugs, online.

I am using this criterium, along w/ search term popularity and Google links to the letter abbrev, (ie OVT/WT and Google numbers for Rx, Dr etc), to come up w/ a simple system for evaluating and estimating the name's potential and in establishing a target price for the name.

Examples:
(> meaning "stronger than")
4Mr>2Mr>3Mr
Mr1>Mr2>1Mr
4Rx>4DN>DN4 etc
Not exactly scientific and alot of room for judgement calls, but, for a starting point, I'm finding this approach helpful.

Last edited:
•••
2mr.com = to mr dot com

I think it sounds perfectly cool and is sure brandable. I personally feel that all domains as long as spelled properly and makes sense, it is brandable and can be developed. In the current market, I see LLN progress more than LNL or NLL or NLN. But who knows. if you can come up with a very catchy one, it still roxs!

•••
Thanks for the great, thoughtful responses. Anyone able to put forth dollar amounts for the combos?

•••
Anyone able to put forth dollar amounts for the combos?

I have 4MD.net and 4Rx.net, both listed at Great Domains for $7,500 each. That means that the .coms of those would probably list for $20M-$25M there, maybe more. I'm not suggesting that this is the going rate for all good 3 character names w/ meaning. But it is encouraging that a sales site for premium domains is seeing potential in, and listing 3 character names of this nature.

I personally feel that all domains as long as spelled properly and makes sense, it is brandable and can be developed.

I agree. The name of the search engine that most of us like to use, has been used as an example to prove this point, over and over again. Smart planning, hard work, and money can brand anything. I think that the problem solving that we domain name marketers and developers are involved in, deals w/ identifying the "naturals" or coming up w/ innovative ideas that make sense to the businesses who will invest in them, because they will work, and they will attract customers.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone able to put forth dollar amounts for the combos?
These are a few listings for top 3 character category DNs at Sedo (name-amt-bids-visits):

• x24.net -- 6
    k47.com 129 $US-- 21
    70s.com --------- 3
    o-2.com 1,000 EUR 2 129
    x5k.com 3,000 $US
    xx6.com --------- 4 1754
    m3b.com --------- 4
    3l3.com 1,000 $US - 110

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back