Domain Empire

events X.com --> Twitter rebrand

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Perhaps the biggest rebrand of our generation, Musk announced yesterday he was looking for a new X logo for Twitter and could implement it as soon as today.

It will be interesting because the blue bird has always been synonymous with Twitter. It will take some getting used to a new logo, but even more confusion may come with a complete domain rebrand.

Today Elon announced he is forwarding his, and arguably the most valuable domain name of all domains, X.com to Twitter:

X.com has always remained something of an enigma to the rest of the world because it has never actually been developed into a full-fledged site. The history behind it including a relationship with Musk's previously owned company, PayPal, has always been a sort of fleeting one, reminiscent of Twitter current logo of a bird: one that never settles but always finds its branch.

The logo rebrand will be implemented, but I wonder, will we be using X.com instead of Twitter.com in the near future and how would this kind of rebrand affect folks emotionally, sentimentally, business-wise? "X" name is awesome, sure, but "Twitter" name seems a more safe, neutral brand for the masses. Or maybe people just won't care, there's a lot invested by companies and persons in the platform to swing away to an alternative.

Maybe this will be solely a logo change, and x.com will remain a forwarding tool in perpetuity. Elon has already begun development on his X.ai, would it be smarter to keep the "X" brand associated to that rather than changing Twitter, or is this a kind of complete amalgamation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
1690749285380.png

"Protect our animal species, before it's too late"

Last edited:
•••
•••
I’m thinking revenue is going to take another hit based on what I’m reading from the Trumpers upset over the latest indictments. X is now basically a right wing hate breeding ground. Crazy stuff being posted, Elon threw the lid off, he’ll pay the price soon enough

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Whoa, all mention of Twitter is gone from log in page. Safe to assume this is more than a passing fad.

new-twitter.jpg

•••
•••
I can see Xeverythingapp.co being valuable :xf.wink::xf.wink:

•••
I don't know who came up with the idea that 'Tweets' should be called 'Xeets', that's just dumb. Also, X in China make a Sh like sound, so 1.4 billion people will just call it 'Shits'.

The x pronunciation in China is far from "sh", and it is very close to the "死(dead)" pronunciation of Chinese

•••
All the good ones are being claimed for xwitter corp use:

If usernames have a matching dot-com might be safe; eg Money.

Business is by Bloomberg, 50/50

Art, Games, Cars, Coin, Beauty, Pay and Travel looking yummy.

•••
Oh no, there's an unknown disease now apparently. And they called it X.

It trended on X. Strange times.

•••
It will probably be about as impactful as Google ---> Alphabet.

Everyone still goes to Google.com and calls the company "Google".

I personally don't like the idea of some all-in-one app, controlled by a single entity.

Brad

Technically it was reverse. Google i.e search was their bread and butter, to minimize risk they decided to diversify and therefore created a holding company Alphabet. Later, everything from X (their moonshot company), Google (search), Cloud, etc., were moved under it!

You're right on the consumer side its still known as Google however on the corp / financial side it's Alphabet since they report their balance sheet (still itemized with respective units) as a single entity!

•••
•••
It's a pitty. X is a great brand but Elon killed it.

I see clients leaving "X" for TikTok now. Nothing good will come from that.

Twitter has been a "reliable" brand for ages, now not so much.

•••

Yeah we're noticing similar pattern, people leaving in droves to Bluesky(ton of people waiting for invites) and Threads!

•••

Maybe but Ticktock is mostly used by kids isn't it? And isn't it being banned in many places for Chinese surveillance?

Some people may not like Elon, regardless of the rebrand and even when Twitter ends up forwarding to x.com I'm beginning to think a complete rebrand --> (brand name + domain name) for this kind of entity may not make much of a difference to its users as long as the platform remains what we're used to.

Almost two decades of content hard to dismiss, and in news articles they have been sure to reinforce something like:

Such and such was posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

•••
Maybe but Ticktock is mostly used by kids isn't it? And isn't it being banned in many places for Chinese surveillance?

They're targeting young people but definitely not just kids. I shifted a lot of advertising to TT from places like Facebook, insta and see demand for twitter ads dropping as well.

Not a TT user myself, just for work. I like it better than Twitter though, lots of fun stuff on it. My kid loves it for the dances and challenges. But you know, gotta watch these kids and their SM ;)

And isn't it being banned in many places for Chinese surveillance?
Yes, some countries maybe, not allowed on government issued phones, stuff like that.

Some people may not like Elon, regardless of the rebrand and even when Twitter ends up forwarding to x.com I'm beginning to think a complete rebrand --> (brand name + domain name) for this kind of entity may not make much of a difference to its users as long as the platform remains what we're used to.

Almost two decades of content hard to dismiss, and in news articles they have been sure to reinforce something like:

Such and such was posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Yes I agree. People will get used to it. People always do :)

The real issue is trust. He's estranged quite an amount of users with the recent changes.

•••
My kid loves it for the dances and challenges. But you know, gotta watch these kids and their SM ;)
Same with mine. I probably wouldn't know of it otherwise. Yes, X, formerly known as Twitter, which should be explicitly stated now for the foreseeable future, almost as bad as a radio commercial and having spelling out the domain name, but getting off course now, is not the same for kids as TT.

Yes, some countries maybe, not allowed on government issued phones, stuff like that.
Yep, or an entire state even households if idiocracy like this doesn't get stomped:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/17/montana-governor-signs-bill-banning-tiktok-00097540

•••
•••
•••
•••
As cool as having a one-letter domain is, as a brand I don't see X being any better than twitter.

Imagine looking up news-related articles on Google for twitter and then imagine doing the same for X.

•••
Imagine looking up news-related articles on Google for twitter and then imagine doing the same for X.

It's really quite simple.

You take the old catch-word from Mad Magazine -- Ecch! -- then add the title of a super cheesy horror flick from 1973 -- Sssssss* -- and you've got the phonetic equivalent guaranteed to pass any radio test: EcchSssssss.com!

What, me worry?!

*That really was the title, look it up!

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back