NameSilo

poll Would a verified marketplace be something NamePros should entertain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would a verified marketplace be a good idea

• 1st

Yes

votes
    66.7%
  • 2nd

No

vote
    33.3%

• 3 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Former member @MapleDots left an interesting comment on TLDinvestors, with an idea about a new forum section at Namepros.

I suggested namepros make a new forum section for verified accounts, real names or real business names, and make that for sale forum exclusive to verified members. As more members verify the forum would become more and more popular and after a couple of years they could drop the other for sale forums and expect everyone to be verified. Verification is the only way namepros can work, one cannot conduct business with a faceless avatar, there will always be fraud if that is allowed.

As a real business man and someone who depends on his transactions to be legitimate I can only say that members would be far more responsible when posting if they were not anonymous.

Continue Reading

Overall I like the idea, it would mean less bidders in an auction in my opinion, many will not get verified, some for legit reasons others for nefarious reasons.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't you folks with the "pro" badges have exactly that already?

•••
This is an interesting topic because there are many kinds of trust metrics (e.g., verification and reputation).

Here are some trust metrics:
  1. Company verification to avoid impersonation. We have Verified Company Representatives.
  2. Marketplace reputation. We have Trade Reviews.
  3. Account reputation. We have Account Levels and Account Badges.
    • We are also working on a reputation system to help provide a metric that is more comprehensive than the number of likes, number of posts, account age, trade reviews, etc. We hope the reputation system will become a helpful metric of a member's contributions (both quantity and quality), experience, attitude, demeanor, and overall account history on NamePros.
  4. Account state and status. We have a list of possible states and statuses that are shown on each member's profile, such as when a member is restricted and may pose a threat to others.
  5. Identity verification. We require and perform this research on select accounts when necessary for fraud prevention and investigative purposes.
    • We are also considering offering it as an option for members to verify their identity and then receive a badge for it. If we did offer that option, it would be very time consuming and not as thorough as the KYC by an escrow company or a bank, so it's likely best to use their financial services if you want that type of identity verification.
  6. Due diligence. Nothing should substitute or replace your own due diligence. Fortunately, it's a lot easier to do it on members of NamePros than many other places, given the public nature of domain name WHOIS and transactions through major financial institutions. In many cases, an identity can be learned before you do business with someone, but it may require research and contacting members who have done business with the person in the past.
    • Tips: You can always require the person/s on the other end of the transaction to verify their identity with you before a deal is finalized. You can require it as part of your deal before an agreement is reached. Notaries are also a helpful resource.

We think about these trust metrics often, and we have improvements/expansions coming to many of them in the near future.

I suggested namepros make a new forum section for verified accounts, real names or real business names, and make that for sale forum exclusive to verified members.
Rather than a new section, this could simply be accomplished with a filter on sections/threads where anyone can exclude members with(out) certain badges.

Don't you folks with the "pro" badges have exactly that already?
PRO members are verified to have met certain requirements, but identity isn't necessarily one of them.

Here's a list of the criteria:
However, PRO members are supposed to use their full names in the application process.

We hope that helps.

•••
Would “Samer” qualify (my real first name)

or would need last name, SS#, and so forth ;)

Im very indifferent of this idea; You‘re clearly trying to add more “trust” metrics.

I vote “yes” if you let “Samer” suffices

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back