Why Future Trend Domains May be a waste of money

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
This thread has come about due to the cleaning up of the next trend thread. We want people to hear all sides, but we don't want them derailing the thread.

The Next Trend thread stopped talking about the topic and turned into name calling.

I agree with Biggie that you don't want Bobbleheads and need to hear both sides and that's what this thread is for, You think future trends are wasting money ? Great, post why you think that here.

What no one will be doing in either thread is calling anyone a Retard or any other remarks that violate the Namepros TOS.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What happened is this.
Such threads quickly become showcase threads. Soon you are starting to see more newly-registered domains being showcased, than discussion posts.

Then the more experienced domainers see the newly-registered domains and they point out that those domains aren't great at all or don't make sense, are a waste of money etc. Of course, the proud owners don't like it and will mock the skeptics and dismiss them as naysayers etc. I think I've been called a flatlander once (among other nicknames), it must have been in the .tel thread when I was telling everyone that .tel is totally worthless while the participants were patting each other on the back and drinking the KoolAid. Somebody has to tell it like it is :notme:

Nobody in that thread was asking you to tell it like it is. It was just some people wanting to discuss those type of domains. Just read the first post - http://www.namepros.com/4500473-post1.html

•••
registered 3dprinters.com in 1999

Hi Fonzie, this is the perfect example of a "future trend" domainer, he got in early and that name will certainly pay off for him/her now, he may not classify himself as a "future trend" domainer, but he is one

Thats what most of us are doing here, trying to find names relating to technologies that are new now, but could become mainstream in years to come, just like the owners of 3DPrinters.com, CloudComputing.com or maybe BigData.com did

I had people telling me dont bother registering cloud domains a few years ago and then when I sold 2 names for around $16K, those same people were nowhere to be seen? Weird, not sure where they went?

I think its important to do the research and not see one of these threads and just jump on the bandwagon and register 50 names relating to 3D printing or mobile payments, rather do some research, set up sone google alerts with popular phrases and read all the articles that come in and see where the industry is heading

Dont just hand-reg names because the best names are taken, rather email some of the owners and try and find a handful of good names in various technologies, then you have a better chnace of making some money, because you dont have the 50 renewals every year that will eat away at your profit

Good luck all

•••
I'd rather bet on the future than the past. But as with all bets, a little homework goes a long way :imho:

•••
Nobody in that thread was asking you to tell it like it is. It was just some people wanting to discuss those type of domains. Just read the first post - http://www.namepros.com/4500473-post1.html

i read it and it says:

mrcurly said:
I have a few Big Data domains but I like my hand in several dishes so if anyone would like to share their thoughts I'm sure a lot of domainers would appreciate any insights to what's gonna be hot or not.

oh snaps. :wave:

•••
Oh snaps, you might need to buy Hooked On Phonics.

•••
•••
Context, you would actually have to read the thread. So when he said that, you thought he was looking for:

"Hmm I would be very surprised if the majority of domainers have not lost money on all those trends and the countless domain fads before."

Or actual discussion on specific trends. <----- I'm going with that one. If you're still confused, you can always just ask the thread starter.

•••
Maybe it's a matter of degree. Yes, if a domainer (good or bad) registers a name years in advance and that domain happens to be a good one in the (new) trend/fad that comes into its own, then yes, I can see it worth tens of thousands. That's just like any other investment.

However, today's domainers are no longer in a market where truly good names are readily available if you have just a little foresight. The result is mostly going after the "marginal" names, which still can put money in the bank, just at hundreds or a few thousand instead of $20K or more.

Almost all domainers, good and bad, know what a great domain is (show me someone who says earth.com or whatever is reg fee). The problem today is many don't see the difference between crap and marginal. Some never will, but hey, that's true for everything.

I'm all for future niche domaining even if its just for marginal names. Besides, one of those marginal names might be the next $50k domain 10 years from now. Who's to say until time passes.

That's exactly what I do. For the few minutes it takes to register a few $1 coupon names a month, have someone contact me offering $xx-xxx, it is worth it.

Every little bit ads up in this business.

Marginal amounts of predictable money are good. If there's one thing that's predictable it's people speculating on the future.

•••
Context, you would actually have to read the thread. So when he said that, you thought he was looking for:

"Hmm I would be very surprised if the majority of domainers have not lost money on all those trends and the countless domain fads before."

Or actual discussion on specific trends. <----- I'm going with that one. If you're still confused, you can always just ask the thread starter.

well, one reply leads to another and suddenly you're "off topic." its what i call conversation and lots of people agree. its only trolling if your intent is to bait angry responses and be insincere.

i get what you're saying and it seems like the moderators are aware there is a fine line between over-moderating/telling people to "stay on topic" and just going with the flow. namepros has a lot of members but not many active posters so the separate threads for the anti/pro crowds all the time is how you have no discussion at all.. or at least less discussion it seems.

im not even anti... just was talking about trends and newbies mostly.. with the gTLDs coming its going to be like bomb went off on the forum compared to now. this will be tame looking back ill bet.

•••
"with the gTLDs coming its going to be like bomb went off on the forum compared to now."

Probably and this is something that should be figured out now.

If somebody starts a thread asking what people think about the new extensions, that invites discussion, and it could be, they suck, you'll lose money etc. or the opposite. There are threads like that already, I've been in them. But let's say somebody starts a thread called. .web Showcase and Sales. With something like that, I think they just want to talk about what .web domains they bought, any sales etc. Do they want somebody coming in and saying, your domains suck, you might as well flush your money down the toilet, probably not. It's kind of the same I think we these future trend threads. I think people just want a thread to talk to others interested in the same thing, without people coming in who have no genuine interest, just to basically repeat the same things I'm sure most in that thread have already heard. That's when things start to go off course. I think there is a place for that kind of thing but I also think there should be threads where people can just have their discussion, without that sort of thing. I think we all can do better in that regard.

•••
MJ I get what you are saying but see the one part a little differently. This is the discussion/debate thread this is not anti, this is so people that want to hear about trends have their thread not go off track.

I will be the first to say I have never posted in any trends thread, 3d,Cloud,Marijuana,Big Data etc... I read them but since I was not regging any or sold any successfully, who am I to tell them they are wasting their time ? That's what this thread is for everyone can go as hard as they like and the pro trends people can debate them back, no one is eliminating debate. This thread should give everyone what they are looking for, but the next trend thread after 20 posts the next 74 did not have one next trend mentioned, it was about who was like an Autistic, Name Calling in the Tags and Show me your bank account. I am not saying I am right, I am saying I believe this way is better.

The new gtlds I think JB is exactly right, because there will be appraisal threads, and what is the best new tld ? That will get replies like, "They all suck" "you suck" ".com is King" It will be on in those type of threads, but I do agree a Showcase thread should not have someone saying I regged pro.web and three posters tell that person it sucks, if they ask for an appraisal sure but not in a showcase thread.

If you ask do you think my gf is hot ? Someone may give you an answer you don't like, but if they walk by your desk and see a pic and say "Who is the ugly woman ?" I think that gets a much angrier response.

•••
hey hey hey my girlfriend is a tld

•••
Future domains are definitely a waste of money once you drop them. Until then nothing is sure, except renewal fees.

But one thing that to me suggests you made a good guess is when you have a fu-dom com and other people gradually start registering it in other extensions. Unless of course they are all sheep.

One day I registered a generic com domain and the same day someone else registered it in 8 other extensions. AFAIK not a copycat domainer on the prowl, but a company working in that field. So they see the same future I do - that's what it takes.

If you are discussing a trend presumably the idea here is to find names you can make a profit on, so are reported sales relevant to that?

Last edited:
•••
Thats what most of us are doing here, trying to find names relating to technologies that are new now, but could become mainstream in years to come, just like the owners of 3DPrinters.com
registered in 1999
CloudComputing.com
Domain Name: CLOUDCOMPUTING.COM
Creation Date: 28-feb-2007
or maybe BigData.com did
Domain Name: BIGDATA.COM
Creation Date: 22-feb-2001

Of course Gilescoley is right, you'd better E-mail the owners rather than scrape lottery tickets from the pool of leftovers.
Even in predictive domaining, the quality often is in the aftermarket. The fundamentals still apply.
I will be the first to say I have never posted in any trends thread, 3d,Cloud,Marijuana,Big Data etc... I read them but since I was not regging any or sold any successfully, who am I to tell them they are wasting their time ?
Why not ? Just because you haven't sold any, or are not actively trading them doesn't mean you don't know about the technologies/trends in question.
If I see domains that make no sense or domains that are worthless because they are TM for example, I don't think it's inappropriate to say so.

Several times, people on some forums told me I have no right to criticize their country because I don't live there (= I have no idea of what's going there). We have all experienced something like that on the Internet.
It's the same at NP, if you don't drink the KoolAid your opinion doesn't count because you don't know the taste like the cult followers do.

•••
All I will say is nothing ventured, nothing gained. I dropped the ball at one point time in time for not taking a leap of faith. Lighting may just strike twice, you can never say for certain. At least I can say I tried.

•••
i have HumanCloning /net/ it means it is waste of money

may be yes if human cloning is not future

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back