NameSilo

What will be the NEXT BIG thing in Domains and Internet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So what do you all predict is the next big thing in internet and domain names? Any ideas list them down. Let's see who has the best one. Would love to see some interesting comments.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.MOBI vv & .TEL ^^ :imho:

These are my humble thoughts / outlook for the next 9 - 12 months+/+ ... :gl:
-Jeff B-)

•••
circa1850 said:
I think that is coming for sure, but when? I am thinking perhaps 2 years, maybe sooner if China REALLY pushes it. They are an economic powerhouse. I look for Google to start pushing this for China, at their insistance.

I'm all for it. Could complicate things but that's how it is. I have been watching the 1 Yuan (about $0.03) .cn registration.

Already here, lots of sites already up and running, IDNs being snapped at snap $xxxx- $xx,xxx.

I think you would be lucky to find a good IDN.cn , IDN.com - most picked clean already. The last couple of months have seen a gradual increase in traffic for asian IDN , partucularly Thai for some reason.

Still some bargains to be found around the forums if you search carefully.

•••
Im all in for the .TV extension! It's an international recognized two letter word.

•••
Bad LLLL.com being considered good when all the LLLL.com run out?

•••
Not in this particular order:
1. Dot tv
2 Development of sites. Simply parking sites will lose ground against web development. Thus I say MINISITES will be the keyword in the next few years.
3 .CN and .IN - these two cctld's will pick up ground in the next few years, as the Internet usage in these countries will continue to rapidly grow.
4. Involvement of bigger companies in the domain industry... I think that the domain industry will be played by some big companies that will manage thousands of domains rather than thousands of domainers.. but I see this happen in the far future. So consider thinking big when coming to domain names and traffic monetization.
5 One little secret that I won't reveal... :)

•••
•••
I think the most relevent responses to this thread would be along the lines of previous fads. Youtube, Blogs etc.

Sadly I can't predict the future!

- Lukey B-)

•••
alexsimon said:
2 Development of sites. Simply parking sites will lose ground against web development. Thus I say MINISITES will be the keyword in the next few years.
3 .CN and .IN - these two cctld's will pick up ground in the next few years, as the Internet usage in these countries will continue to rapidly grow.
4. Involvement of bigger companies in the domain industry... I think that the domain industry will be played by some big companies that will manage thousands of domains rather than thousands of domainers.. but I see this happen in the far future. So consider thinking big when coming to domain names and traffic monetization.
I like your thinking and insight on these matters. I agree with this assessment as it is a trend that I have seen for quite some time now. #3 is almost a given with the world two largest concentrations of population.
alexsimon said:
I know your secret becuase I read your mind. I agree, it will eliminate the internet as we know it.
Telepathic thinking...the real wireless connectivity!:bingo:

•••
LOLOLOl, telepathic thinking.... ^^ theres gotta be some profit in that??

You could sell chats with celebrity's :)

•••
Many will come: .web, .news, .shop, .store, .corp, .group, .online, .site, .ads, .area, .music, .art, .sport, .game, .pet, .dog, .cat,...... .everything...Am I asking too more?:D I'm hoping there will come more domain extensions for me to benefit greatly and luckily.

•••
alexsimon said:
Not in this particular order:
1. Dot tv
I think I may have missed the boat.
Trying to bring up a new mini about once a week
I hope so cause renewing all those .co.in/.in names is starting to add up.
I see a future of intelligent mobile/portable devices utilizing full blown speech recognition and accessing massive amounts of information over wireless networks at speeds we can only dream about today. I personally can't wait for a phone that I can use without ever touching a keypad or screen. Don't laugh but I see much of this being available before the second year of the next decade. That doesn't mean the end of domains, ecommerce and other such things. Just a whole new use of communication technologies. Can anyone say Nano Circuits (missed the .com but have the .info).
It is not all rosey because we as a society must not loose the very real benefits of direct interaction on a face to face basis.

•••
You should buy this from me:
MYAMERICANWIRELESS.COM

LOL

circa1850 said:
Telepathic thinking...the real wireless connectivity!:bingo:

•••
i think
.tv
.mobi
.in
have good opportunities to get big

•••
.mobi and .asia

still we need to wait patiently and see what will happen heh

•••
I see .tv and .mobi.

.asia and .cn domain with international characters MAYBE. However, I don't see something like chinesefood.asia or chinesefood.cn having any value. Chinese people talk and type in chinese, not in English.

As far as .in...Are you developing or just buying like everyone else waiting for the price to go up? Good luck.

•••
•••
.mobi along with the mobile internet in general
.tv

•••
Actually, really, probably, maybe, certainly, you might expect, I think, that the .com is the next big thing. :)

It still has not been fully recognized for its worth - the first big rush of new investors are just now jumping on the band wagon and throwing money around like silly fools. Hell, many of us even know each other - that is how small this still all is!

Saying .com is the next big thing, may sound stupid since .com has been so hot, but what is about to come in the next year or so will make .com hotter than a redhead in a Ferrari.

Instrinsic value has NEVER truely been released from our domains. Wait until it is released - income will go up dramatically and so will domain values.

Just look at YOUR parked pages and how they suck so bad. Wait until some option really, really nice is available for your sites that you love, the surfer loves, and the search engines love. It's the future and it is inevitable.

.com will blow up !

•••
In the past two weeks, I have received 4 offers on sedo. Two dot com, one dot biz, one dot info. Quite a mix.

It is great to speculate on the future. But with the crazy prices I see for every extension? Who knows.

.cn will be big and .in will be big simply because they are the two most populated countries on the globe. They will be big in number, but quality?

As someone pointed out, IDN may start to play a larger role in the way people surf.

Someone else mentioned something that I brought up many months ago. I see in the very near future mobile phones with no keypad. Totally voice activated and commands. This technology already exists. Not perfected, but it does exist. Mobile phone are not going anywhere. They will continue to evolve and will drive technology and research in this area. Mega corportions are very aware of the numbers of phones in use today (nearly 3.5 billion) and not stopping or slowing down.

Whether you agree with .mobi or not, the mobile internet will survive in some sort of fashion and with some extenstion. This will be where the immediate impact and growth is seen. The mobile internet is here, it is here to stay, and it will flourish more rapidly and with stunning growth rates. Why? Because the people demand it and the investors want it. Look where the money is being pumped into by the banks and major investment funds and that will tell you what is next on the horizon.

This is actually a decent thread. And even civil. Imagine that?

•••
circa1850,
I was beginning to think I was the only one seeing it this way. Add to that entertainment delivered on demand and...

You mention the phone. I wonder if the Ipod, Zune or any media player will evolve into a phone of will the phone of the future also be a media player.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back