NameSilo

What will be the NEXT BIG thing in Domains and Internet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So what do you all predict is the next big thing in internet and domain names? Any ideas list them down. Let's see who has the best one. Would love to see some interesting comments.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
people realizing that the domain name doesn't matter... let's hope it's a while from now!

•••
•••
I'm betting heavily on .in ... it sure will be the next big thing!! What with a 1.2bn Indian population.. and ever growing internet base!!

•••
Owning your own block of IP's. That is what I think.

Ya' know they are running out! Of course, there are those that say this is not true.... but from what I already know, and also from what some tech associates I have spoken have told me, I am now convinced of this.

Owning your own block(s) of IP's allow you to host your own sites on different IP's without paying a fee to a IP owner, which you will in the future, even if you are a serious domain developer, b/c folks won't be selling them. Get 'em now before eveyone starts thinking this way.

It's just like 1-800 numbers today ; No one is coming off those unless you got some bucks to convince them to part with them b/c they are money makers just like a domain or a parking lot.

I know you can develop in one IP, but unless that just becomes the standard and the big search engines begin to approve it, you will be penalized and your SEO efforts will not be as productive and your competition with their own IP's will rank higher in the search engines.

I bet most folks here have not even thought about this in regards to developing their portfolios in the future. Am I wrong? :)

•••
Seabass said:

Ya' know they are running out! ....

...I bet most folks here have not even thought about this in regards to developing their portfolios in the future. Am I wrong? :)
I've thought about it but have no idea where to go and buy them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
I've not thought about that acutally:) But where can one buy an IP addy?

•••
nor matter what it is coming...

i will be in and invest to earn :)

that's my motto

•••
[CVC]oo .com *Yahoo! fever :D

•••
.asia
.tel

Seabass said:

That won't happen at least until IPv6 is fully implemented. Too much of a shortage now. I tried to get a block of class C for my company about 5-7 years ago, and you have to be a very large bandwidth provider to get any.

•••
I think a divided internet is a great possibility, .US - .IN - .CO.UK being the big winners of extensions

•••
•••
lets hope .in will take off

•••
christion123 said:
So what do you all predict is the next big thing in internet and domain names?
IMO that will be .tv :hehe:

After Demand Media took over the .tv extension, they will start heavily promoting .tv as from 1 May as you can read in this article at Dnjournal:
www.dnjournal.com/cover/2007/april.htm

I particularly like this sentence:
"We are going to spend a lot of money to make .TV the domain you must have!"

Of course nothing is certain, but it's a really nice read and together with other recent movements in the .tv extension, like more and higher sales, it can make .tv the next big thing in internet and domaining.

•••
I reckon over the next 3 years the domain aftermarket is going to change beyond recognition, the advertising agencies are going to start buying up domain names to utilize for advertising (both regging new names and buying on the aftermarket). That way they will be able to monopolise the advertising spots on 'their' domains. This will create a surge in some suffixes that have not as yet been fully exploited.

I also agree with a previous poster that a 'split' may occur, although this may in fact be gradual rather than catastrophic.

Just my 2 cents.

•••
•••
So that's why they were so bullish on .tv at the last T-R-A-F-F-I-C conference ;)

•••
IMO .tv may take off very well, This is my idea and has probably said before but I am new to .TV and learning more every day.....

for example after TV's have internet access (which most Tvs are right now via cable provider) and have CPU's in or just networked through the main House CPU............. Then.tv names may have there own broadcasted internet stations that display on Telivisions show media on your TV and you can control it from your remote control. Kind of like how your local cable companies control your cable box now with the functions.

If I dont make sense then its probably because I had too much wine tonight for easter :)

•••
•••
Video over IP /VVOIP/VOD - and perhaps .tv with a dedicated push :!:

And definitely .co.in/.in :wave:

•••
LMAO @ too much wine!

I think I understand though - and I dont even drink :hehe:

thebiffenator said:
IMO .tv may take off very well, This is my idea and has probably said before but I am new to .TV and learning more every day.....

for example after TV's have internet access (which most Tvs are right now via cable provider) and have CPU's in or just networked through the main House CPU............. Then.tv names may have there own broadcasted internet stations that display on Telivisions show media on your TV and you can control it from your remote control. Kind of like how your local cable companies control your cable box now with the functions.

If I dont make sense then its probably because I had too much wine tonight for easter :)

•••
Oh, lest we forget - you are probably too late - but the coming big bang is from IDN .com /cctld

As always JMO

•••
scandiman said:
I've thought about it but have no idea where to go and buy them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Before you get any ip's you have to justify why you need those ip's. If you already have some ip's at least 80% of your current ip's need to be in use.

http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/rs/general.html

•••
•••
wot said:
Oh, lest we forget - you are probably too late - but the coming big bang is from IDN .com /cctld

As always JMO
I think that is coming for sure, but when? I am thinking perhaps 2 years, maybe sooner if China REALLY pushes it. They are an economic powerhouse. I look for Google to start pushing this for China, at their insistance.

I'm all for it. Could complicate things but that's how it is. I have been watching the 1 Yuan (about $0.03) .cn registration.

Seabass said:

It's just like 1-800 numbers today
I like your intitial concept. But I think the IP's will grow and evolve. Just like the 1-800 thing. How many are actually 1-800 anymore? The have expanded it to 1-888 and I think 1-884, 1-887 and so on. The will run out of area codes before they run out of IP's, especially with all the cell phones in the world. I think last count I saw was nearly 4 Billion??? OUCH. Oh, that's why .mobi may be the next big thing.

infoicq said:
I am waiting for .Asia :)
I think .asia will go the same route as .eu...down. Hard to brand a domain for a continent or grouping of nations as seen with the .eu.

China is pushing to become the number one leader in the world with domain registrations. They will succeed, this I have no doubt.

With the branding of .jp, .tw, and .cn, .asia will be like .eu...a novelty for a while, everyone will be after those few hot keywords, and then what?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back