NameSilo

discuss What makes for a good brandable domain ? Showcase your brandables here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
With thousands of startups needing a name for their new company and many more existing businesses also branching out all the time and needing names for their new line of products and services it seems that brandable domains is one of the areas that could be very beneficial to domainers both old and new and deserves to be explored further.

Below are a few points of discussion to get this thread started, if I have left something important out please let me know so that it can be added to them. If you have any tips or advice about brandable domains please feel free to share them with the rest of us.

1-What is a brandable domain.

2-How many different types of brandable domains are there and is one type better than the others.

3-What makes a brandable domain stand out amongst thousands of others.

4-What is the optimum length for a brandable domain, how long can a brandable domain be and still qualify as being a good choice.

5-What types of brandable domains are most desired by startups and existing businesses.

6-What is the best way to find brandable domains.

7-What is the best way to sell brandable domains.

Attention Newbies: It's probably best to first hear what some of the more experienced domainers have to say about this subject before you consider getting any domains, and even then it's probably best to experiment with just a few domains at a time. You should be able to sell one domain and then use the proceeds from that sale to get more domains, if you cannot even sell one domain then you are doing something wrong and need to adjust your strategy. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I only use my own website, Brandroot.com, to sell my names. I generally list about 2 per day right now. And yes, I hand register about 98% percent of them, the others I find for in different places or put in a backorder for ones I feel are very strong and I don't want to risk passing up. I recently got Faviva.com from a backorder. Hope this answers your questions.

WOW Rader you certainly have a great website. I really like it. Even more than BB ( not mentioning Namerific because I think their website is horrible..)
Are you selling only your domains or are you accepting submissions? can I ask you how many domains you have listed/in your portfolio?
You have some GREAT LLLL; some of them I have seen auctioned at namejet and now I know who got them!!!! :) :bingo:

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I have submitted some domains both at Namerific & BB and some got through some didn't.
I too think that some 2 word domain are very good brandable; I own JellyPot.com ( on BB ) and OneMoreKiss.com which I haven't submitted yet.

I am creating my brandable portfolio and I am really happy to see that there are people here who actually make a living only with Brandables because everyone says you should keep them as a small percentage in your portfolio....
Who is working only or mainly with brandables here?_\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/_

•••
its not all about what a site looks like when I select platforms to sell my names - its about the names and logo's... Sometimes simple is better...just look at google format.

i'm about 50/50 mix of brandables and other domain niche's

•••
What about HOSTYOO
Do you think this is a great brandable hosting name?

•••
its not all about what a site looks like when I select platforms to sell my names - its about the names and logo's... Sometimes simple is better...just look at google format.

i'm about 50/50 mix of brandables and other domain niche's

Thank you urlurl; I understand your point.;)
My opinion is that BB logos and names and website are much better than namerific's. Do you normally sell more brandables than generics?

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

What about HOSTYOO
Do you think this is a great brandable hosting name?

Personally I don't think it's a great name but it's only my opinion which counts as much as any other's. I also think the hosting niche is a bit saturated; meaning that it would take some really good and new ideas to justify, for a buyer, to invest in a domain like that.

Good luck anyway! _\|/_

•••
hostyo - would have been better

more brandables lately

Last edited:
•••
5L's Brandable Domains...worth the investment ?

Hi

as 4L all regged for a while now , and all 4L com's are valued high , do you think one should start investing in good brandable and pronounceable 5 Letter Com's ?

•••
Hi

as 4L all regged for a while now , and all 4L com's are valued high , do you think one should start investing in good brandable and pronounceable 5 Letter Com's ?

I started investing in 5 Letters "brandables" back in 2010.

There is still few domains available but almost every good ones are gone.

V i o o s is my best one

•••
...do you think one should start investing in good brandable and pronounceable 5 Letter Com's ?
Absolutely!

More companies are coming into existence.
They have dwindling options for having a company name that hasn't been used to death already.
I believe these names are precious gems and will just grow in value.

But, you have to really be objective about whether it is easy to pronounce and spell.
And, you need a lot of patience. The real gems are hard to find now.

•••
If you can find them..... ;)

•••
the key word is GOOD 5L's

•••
as 4L all regged for a while now , and all 4L com's are valued high
Not true, plenty of 4L.com have been dropping, some wouldn't sell here for $30. Unless you are talking about brandable 4L.com only.

As for the brandable 5L obviously the best sounding ones were gone a long time ago. You can try your luck with 6L and 7L though.

•••
yup, I picked up a few gems 2-3 years ago - now it is very slim picking to get anything worth reg'n, I wouldn't just look for 5l's - look for short (4 - 8) brandable words. your best bet would be the forums and secondary markets.

•••
Not true, plenty of 4L.com have been dropping, some wouldn't sell here for $30. Unless you are talking about brandable 4L.com only.

As for the brandable 5L obviously the best sounding ones were gone a long time ago. You can try your luck with 6L and 7L though.

hmm....... ive found a number of 5l,6l brandable domains every week that are quite decent so they are some left for sure...

now u will say how good r they no doubt, good enough that bb accepts them so they r out there if u use your imagination

;):talk:

•••
I reg COZOM few weeks ago. Could be great for a business Co Social site or directory.
I've catched up Truggle.com and Olime.com with backorders.

•••
hostyo - would have been better

more brandables lately

I don't feel it with hostyo because YO
Now hostyoo is like Yahoo the "oo"
Also sounds like "you"

@photonmymind
All personal opinions are great to hear.
So yours count.
Thanks

•••
:) Steveteva :)

See..this is the good and bad with brandable; there certainly are some guidelines but at the ends it all comes down to our personal taste and the buyer's obviously.

I think urlurl suggested YO because it's easier to understand ( radio test ) and it's a quite common word but again it's not said you will sell that to an English speaking person so...

•••
Yes I think they worth the investment but it's all about being very selective!
In my opinion with brandable is certainly about length ( hihihihih...:notme:..lol ) but also about how catchy, pronounceable and memorable they are. I also think you should consider how descriptive they are which means : when you hear the name or read the word do they suggest/identify what the website/brand is about? Because for me that's one of the biggest aspect to look at.

I just got VEGGIOS which is not a 5L but, IMO, it's a gorgeous name. It's a brandable typo of veggies and it can be used for any food product, for a restaurant, cooking recipes, a blog and much much more..:gn::gn::gn::gn:

•••
hmm....... ive found a number of 5l,6l brandable domains every week that are quite decent so they are some left for sure...

now u will say how good r they no doubt, good enough that bb accepts them so they r out there if u use your imagination

;):talk:

are these drops or new reg's

•••
I was pronouncing it as: host - e - oh

but I doo see your point

keep in mind our opinions are what we see and like, that's all, and should always be taken with a grain of salt... lemon and a shot. (and repeat)

I bought a name I though was great (no one else did) and sold it later for $2k - you never know

•••
I was pronouncing it as: host - e - oh

but I doo see your point

keep in mind our opinions are what we see and like, that's all, and should always be taken with a grain of salt... lemon and a shot. (and repeat)

I bought a name I though was great (no one else did) and sold it later for $2k - you never know

Definitely repeat it...

•••
I too think there are still a lot of good names..sometimes something very good but you might have to pay a bit more for that...

•••
WELL WELL WELL..._\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/_

it seems I have found some gold nuggets out there!
I just got :

iineu.com ( " neu " beside sounding like new actually means new in german...)

auroi.com ( many many potential applications )

jewld.com ( very catchy and hot niche )

So..yes..very happy and very profitable evening. What do you think about them guys and how is your " picking " day going?

•••
Sorry, nothing special I think. They won't pass the radio test and don't roll off the tongue well. These names are just random 5L.
I think a good brandable should have some qualities like being pronounceable, memorable or convey emotions, or rhyme in some way. Sometimes you can make interesting combinations by merging two keywords but then you are aiming for longer domains.
Really good 5L are long gone.

•••
I got these :

5 L's
SEBKI.com - family name
LURSI.com - family name
NEPMO.com
RALAG.com
UHULO.com
YAAZI.com
ZIPOV.com - family name

7L's
ZELIZER.com - family name
GAZENGA.com

Let me know what you think

•••
Definitely a good idea to invest in these names. You have to get creative though since, like many have mentioned, most of the good ones are gone. Here's a list of a lot of 5-letter brandables I own and have listed for sale have sold several 5-letters for very decent prices, so speaking from experience, these are a good investment. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back