Dynadot

Top generic .IN names : Mostly now owned by one organization ??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
i was doing a whois check on some top generic .in names and they all now belong to one organization called India Portals.

here are few i checked...
finance, autos, finance, money, education, movies, bollywood, exam, loan, bank, science, forex, buy, sell, employment, shares, cinema, stocks, bonds,....

Did the indian government take away all generic names? or the so called company bought all of them?? anyone know the story behind it?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Huh?

anurag said:
I have solved this complex matrix :)

hint : Answer is in the Question it self :)

Read the first post by mallikrao79
There are actually 3 questions. So, you are saying ther are 3 answers? Now I am really confused. This one is a toughy! :'(
We need to hire a domain detective!

Frank

•••
1) Business.in has been sold?!?! - Not sure

2) There may be some corruption at the top level of co.in names - no corruption or nothing illegal

3) IndiaPortals.org is making a big move in the .in market - who are they? - Yes , they are moving slowing in market and i am able to find the actual owner of IndiaPortals.org

We need to hire a domain detective! - I don't mind taking this job :)

knarfmusik said:
There are actually 3 questions. So, you are saying ther are 3 answers? Now I am really confused. This one is a toughy! :'(
We need to hire a domain detective!

Frank

•••
That doesn't help much, anurag ;)

Any hints on who the owner is?

If business.in did sell it would certainly have been the first $30,000 Indian domain sale.

•••
I think some of the bigger names are being snagged by bigger businesses. There has been a lot of development in the Indian namespace lately. Things are def taking off quickly. Could the recent Reddit deal have something to do with this? - Maybe there are some bigger players in this namespace than we think.

•••
Here is the reply I received when writing to IndiaPortals.org:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: Re: name removed
Date: 11/24/06 12:57:31 PM Eastern Standard Time
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected], [email protected]

What price are you quoting?

Cheers,

Saurabh Pande

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should answer your question. Google him.

Last edited:
•••
•••
knarfmusik said:
Let's make it 4 questions! Why didn't they register www.IndiaPortals.in & www.IndiaPortals.co.in, I own both!!

Frank

They did not reg it until Oct of this year.

Pretty well sure it is a Directi front, Chris Hartmann, previous owner of Business.in did not respond to a pm I sent him so may be gagged. :)

•••
Instead of finding who they are (IndiaPortals.org)?
Why not let them find us, can anyone take the initiative of inviting them to Namepros.com?

I Hope that it will work.

•••
Guys,

I think you will find a rick swartz thing is happening in India.. I personally believe some of the wealthiest and top domaining businessmen in india have got together and buying up all the premium .in and .co.in.

I know when i have checked the logs at listed.co.in some of the traffic comes from directI and these are from static IP's so makes checking very easy.

Remember this statement?

India is probably the biggest growing IT industry in the world at the moment. At present there are something like 38 million Internet users in India, this is expected to grow to 100 million by 2007.

According to the Internet & Online Association of India.

Well it looks like this is definately a reality. We are now close to 2007 who here has seen an increase in the value of thier names through offers i for one definately have. So i believe these people are getting as many of them as they can for low ball prices so they can reap the profits on them in a year or two.

I love some of the investigation here its certainly makes a good read.

Keep this thread alive i like to see peoples views on the move and trends in the Indian domain maket.

•••
Agreed. Now is also a great development time.

With Indian domains not being highly developed yet this is the time to jump out in front of the crowd and stake a position high in the SERPs. Some of the sites we've developed have produced top 10 Google results with 2/3 weeks.

•••
looks like we are moving to other direction. Directi may be partner but not the owner of the names :)

•••
I wonder if they are in any way related to travel2india.org.in?

Both:
1) are based in Mumbai
2) use a junk domain on their whois

travel2india.org.in owns the following .in beauties:
allahabad
amritsar
bangalore
bhopal
faridabad
haora
hyderabad
indore
jabalpur
jaipur
kanpur
kolkora
meerut
mumbai
nasik
agra
chennai

Last edited:
•••
tipsfromthetop said:
Well it looks like this is definately a reality. We are now close to 2007 who here has seen an increase in the value of thier names through offers i for one definately have. So i believe these people are getting as many of them as they can for low ball prices so they can reap the profits on them in a year or two.

It's funny, it could end up being a good thing for me that the guy who offered me $32,000 for Poker.in wound up not really having the money and instead trying to offer $20k. With the Asian Poker Classic coming in March and the massively growing internet usage in India, I may look back and laugh someday at what I could have sold the name for. I'm already laughing that I had countered a bidder late last year on Sedo with $20k with the buyer immediately closing negotiations. If I were to now set my asking price on the name to $20k on my listings on Afternic and Sedo, it would probably be sold within a week easy. I average about 2 offers/inquiries a week as it is. Traffic on the name is also going up, averaging 3 visitors a day this month when just a few months ago it was about 1 and a half a day, less than 1 a day a few months before that. I can't wait to see it spike in March!

•••
ekal said:
I wonder if they are in any way related to travel2india.org.in?

Both:
1) are based in Mumbai
2) use a junk domain on their whois

travel2india.org.in owns the following .in beauties:
allahabad
amritsar
bangalore
bhopal
faridabad
haora
hyderabad
indore
jabalpur
jaipur
kanpur
kolkora
meerut
mumbai
nasik
agra
chennai

If I recall correctly, most/all of the above names were reserved in the initial .in release. When did they become available?

•••
Let me add to that list: ahmedabad.in

Travel2India.org.in seem to have snagged every available major city except for a few that fell to a guy in Florida.

Still reserved are all the state names plus delhi.in

•••
taheny said:
If I recall correctly, most/all of the above names were reserved in the initial .in release. When did they become available?
The City Names (except for Delhi) were not reserved, Only the state names (except Kerala ) were reserved.
Most city names were initially owned by Jagdish Purohit (owner of IndiaPress.org)

•••
a2zofb2b said:
The City Names (except for Delhi) were not reserved, Only the state names (except Kerala ) were reserved.
Most city names were initially owned by Jagdish Purohit (owner of IndiaPress.org)

Okay, thanks for your clarification.

•••
a2zofb2b said:

Not the .co.in state names. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back