NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is to Blame for the Troubled US Economy?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Both Parties

votes
    44.9%
  • Neither Party

votes
    9.5%
  • Democrats

votes
    22.3%
  • Republicans

votes
    23.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Here you can spout your USA political views.

Rules:
1. Keep it clean
2. No fighting
3. Respect the views of others.
4. US Political views, No Religious views
5. Have fun :)

:wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A so called whistle blower is someone that exposes criminal or illegal activity.
That is not the same as corprate spying, or "spying" in general. The two could overlap but do not have to.
-
"We don't have citizens spying on citizens for the government"

Yes we do. What would be approved as a non-tinfoil source?

In any case you would have to define "citizens" as apposed to "workers" or "agents".
People "spying" for the stasi were "agents" often called "unoffical agents" but still "agents"

-The stasi prevented over 50 terror attacks by NATO forces-

•••
We don't have citizens spying on citizens for the government, like the Stasi did.
Yes, fortunately, it's just some little 3-letter agency, with a tight budget and very limited means as we all know. Thank you, now I'm feeling better. It's not that bad after all.

We are not in the 20th century anymore. The world is different now, and it's not pretty.

•••
Yes, fortunately, it's just some little 3-letter agency, with a tight budget and very limited means as we all know. Thank you, now I'm feeling better. It's not that bad after all.

We are not in the 20th century anymore. The world is different now, and it's not pretty.

If you're having some sort of bad feelings and stuff like that, that might be a sign of something else. Because, I'm not aware of anybody I know, thinking the NSA is out to get them, or worried about speaking their mind etc., like most people in this country as evidenced by the examples I gave earlier.

I think it's more interesting to me, that I don't think Stasi ever came up in the conversation, then somebody just needs to post a pic, now I'm hearing U.S. = Stasi. How easy people are to manipulate and then go from that to making pretty ridiculous comparisons. You'll find one thing, monitoring, but then leave other things out, like target, the actual feeling of people living in that environment etc.

Last edited:
•••
But then there is the intended target, what's it's used for etc. Even in the article you just linked too:

The first one was just fluff. Apparently you didn't read the usatoday article/roundtable. Go back and read it.

There is no probable cause. There is no indication of any kind of counterterrorism investigation or operation. It's simply: "Give us the data." ..

Bill and I worked on a government contract for a contractor not too far from here. And when we showed him the concept of how this privacy mechanism that Bill just described to you — the two degrees, the encryption and hiding of identities of innocent people — he said, "Nobody cares about that."

This (kind of surveillance) is all unnecessary. It is important to note that the very best of American ingenuity and inventiveness, creativity, had solved the major challenge problem the NSA faced: How do you make sense of vast amounts of data, provide the information you need to protect the nation, while also protecting the fundamental rights that are enshrined in the Constitution?

The government in secret decided — willfully and deliberately — that that was no longer necessary after 9/11.

It's not just the trust that you have to have in the government. It's the trust you have to have in the government employees, (that) they won't go in the database — they can see if their wife is cheating with the neighbor or something like that. You have to have all the trust of all the contractors who are parts of a contracting company who are looking at maybe other competitive bids or other competitors outside their — in their same area of business. And they might want to use that data for industrial intelligence gathering and use that against other companies in other countries even. So they can even go into a base and do some industrial espionage. So there is a lot of trust all around and the government, most importantly, the government has no way to check anything that those people are doing.

On whistleblowers in general

There is no path for intelligence-community whistle-blowers who know wrong is being done. There is none. It's a toss of the coin, and the odds are you are going to be hammered.

•••
I did read it, I can pick out some quotes too, from one of them:

NSA whistle-blower William Binney, speaking of Snowden:

"So he is transitioning from whistle-blower to a traitor."

They're just going over the same stuff already discussed.

•••
"So he is transitioning from whistle-blower to a traitor."

Taken out of context of the entire conversation. And if the only part of it that had meaning to you was the discussion of Snowden, you're missing the key points.

- There's no way for anyone internal to go through "proper channels" to report wrongdoing within the agency without fear of reprisal.*
- Privacy of American citizens IS being violated. Technological workarounds which would serve both purposes (security and privacy) have been available for years - they were considered unimportant.
- There are insufficient safeguards on the data collected to the point where anyone with superuser capabilities can see/modify/etc. data for whatever purpose. Access or modify the data, then edit the logs, modify timestamps etc. to hide your tracks - piece of cake.

But hey - some folks seem to be very comfy standing around with their heads in the sand -

* There is a long tradition in these agencies that if someone rocks the boat, even if it's something relatively minor, they will harass the living s*** out of that person

Last edited:
•••
or worried about speaking their mind etc

exactly
if you are not a terrorist or criminal what do you have to hide?

•••
Taken out of context of the entire conversation. And if the only part of it that had meaning to you was the discussion of Snowden, you're missing the key points.

But hey - you seem to be very comfy standing around with your head in the sand - far be it from me to stop you.

I'm just not the paranoid or NSA is out to really get Americans type, that's all.

•••
I'm just not the paranoid or NSA is out to really get Americans type, that's all.

I believe that the NSA is only 49% certain you are american based on your prior references to being in Germany.

Anyway. If you ever communicated via email to anyone that becomes a suspect you would be on the list of people that can have their information reviewed.

How many end user emails do you send again?

•••
I believe that the NSA is only 49% certain you are american based on your prior references to being in Germany.

Anyway. If you ever communicated via email to anyone that becomes a suspect you would be on the list of people that can have their information reviewed.

How many end user emails do you send again?

Oh no, does this mean any minute now, they're going to break down my door and take me away? Throw me in one of those Obama camps? Oh damn, was just thinking about that eagle that was trapped in my pool area last week. I think it had a camera on him or something. Then my dryer stopped working and they said it was the motherboard and they came and put a new one in. My clothes dry quickly now, but what about that motherboard? What is it really doing? And then the cable issues, which they said was the neighbors rabbits chewing on them but now I'm wondering. A guy came to lay new cable and bury it so it wouldn't get chewed on. Plus, he also put a cable amplifier in my room. He looked a little suspicious. So does my dog. He's always burying something. Every now and then he escapes and runs around the neighborhood. But maybe he's just meeting with one of his operatives, giving them the weekly update on me. Had a problem with the power going out a couple of times last month and when it came back on, the AC wouldn't come back on . I had to manually go thru the setup. So I called the people that installed it and they said they'll come out with a new thermostat. It fixed the problem, but now I'm wondering. Everything I just posted is true. It was like June was Government Infiltration Month for me. This sucks.

Last edited:
•••
Oh I don't think they're "out to get" Americans, but the irresponsible mishandling of data and needless disregard for the 4th ammendment leave the door wide open for a person or organization to access the data and "get" people - individually or otherwise - to suit their agenda.

•••
Aren't we all "spies" on the internet? I mean who has not Googled someone? Or viewed pages intended for "family and friends", or "members only", or accessed news behind 'walled garden', and so on?

Truth is, we use the web to spy on the world. But is that spying and data mining?

"Data mining is the automatic or semi-automatic analysis of large quantities of data to extract previously unknown interesting patterns."

Could it be that the Gov is data mining web user's meta data in order to determine Whom to spy on?

That's a more complicated tale, and its not as sexy as a good Spy Story.

•••
Every now and then he escapes and runs around the neighborhood.

Irresponsible dog ownership is not all that funny...

"The NSA is setup to spy on foreigners".

Imagine yourself as someone who has sought asylum. Then think about what you're saying. Think of yourself as a Cuban who wants to talk their family in the US. Imagine you're working hard in the US and want to contact your family or friends back home. It's not about you and it's patronizing to all the different people in the world that you think it is. How do you think nuclear physicists from China or Russia working in the US feel?

As I said though. You're mostly likely a foreigner.

Was your familykept in internment camps in the US during the war. Have you ever been picked up and asked for a visa or proof of residence or to show you are legally in the country? Know anyone who was going to be deported and separated from their American born children? You haven't been corralled into a small office in the airport and questioned on arrival when all you wanted to do was get back to your wife - or vice versa.

There is also the bigger picture involved which is the relations with other countries and what they think...

It's not spying like in the movies where James Bond goes out and finds the man with 3 nipples and the most interesting twist is whether the drink is shaken or stirred, it's not Jason Bourne and Treadwater where we can go on a one man mission to understand who we are, it's not a Le Carre novel. This is data and intelligence gathering that is used to gain an advantage over friends and influences trade, commerce, markets and everything else that links countries and people. These are supposed to be agreements built on international diplomacy. We're threatening countries with trade agreements over Snowden? Is this how things are supposed to work?

This is why Europe is so upset (not the 51st state obviously)

If you can't see how that can get fucked up by one country that violates Geneva conventions one minute, spies on friends the next minute you're more naive than I thought.

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

•••
Last edited:
•••
That you posted all that, thinking other countries don't do the same or that they're shocked by any of this, that's naive.

Your well thought out post uses the word other and same like it is supposed to somehow mean something to me.

And the link to Google search that responds mostly with links to articles showing how the trade talks and data sharing efforts (to fight the terrorism you so fear) are being impacted means what?

This post is the moral equivalent of "crickets" :imho:

•••
I figured you would be able to pick out the sites, I guess I was wrong. I'll direct link for you:

"Europe’s feigned spying ‘shock’"
http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...rope-x2019-s-feigned-spying-x2018-shock-x2019

"Merkel says EU must not forget U.S. spying in push for free trade"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/06/us-usa-security-europe-germany-idUSBRE96507B20130706

France probably do more than us

"For 40 or 50 years, we absolutely know the US intelligence agency is listening to everybody, including France,” he says. “This is absolutely normal. It’s the job of intelligence agencies to listen to [one] another.”

"Le Monde published Thursday a report alleging widespread intelligence spying in France, similar to the US PRISM program. France’s leading daily paper, whose report received widespread international media coverage, alleges that such acts are "outside the law, and beyond any proper supervision.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...S-France-finds-itself-in-spotlight-for-spying

You basically took it hook, line and sinker. There is no shock, just politics, leverage. Everybody spies on each other.

"trade, commerce, markets"

Business. And people/countries who conduct business, try to get info on each other to get an upper hand. Normal stuff. If Coke is having some meeting, Pepsi wants somebody there. If Romney is having some fundraiser, Dems want to get somebody in there, to record 47%.

You post like you're living in some ideal world, instead of a real one.

Last edited:
•••
People have been spying, informing, tattle-telling and ratting out each other for a long time. It's human nature. The digital world has just made the net a tighter weave that catches and processes more. What's happening now with the NSA is nothing compared to when nano-computers are bio-integrated into our gray matter. Then we truly will be able to read minds.

•••
I figured you would be able to pick out the sites, I guess I was wrong. I'll direct link for you:

"Europe’s feigned spying ‘shock’"
http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...rope-x2019-s-feigned-spying-x2018-shock-x2019

Amazing how your links almost never support your argument. Are you pulling our collective leg? This link above was to an opinion piece. One unnamed writer claimed that Europeans are just pretending to be shocked. As far as I can tell, you could have written the article yourself. or some guy in his pajamas in rural Pennsylvania having a daily rant. The author supported his rant with exactly zero sources, not even unnamed sources.

It wasn't even up to the standards of the NP political thread, much less whatever rag published it.

Why did you provide that link exactly?

•••
Amazing how your links almost never support your argument. Are you pulling our collective leg? This link above was to an opinion piece. One unnamed writer claimed that Europeans are just pretending to be shocked. As far as I can tell, you could have written the article yourself. or some guy in his pajamas in rural Pennsylvania having a daily rant. The author supported his rant with exactly zero sources, not even unnamed sources.

It wasn't even up to the standards of the NP political thread, much less whatever rag published it.

Why did you provide that link exactly?

lol, are you for real? Did you miss the other links? Or the many other links on the internet?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-01/europe-s-faux-outrage-on-nsa-spying.html

http://www.dw.de/germany-also-profits-from-us-british-spying/a-16916837

And do you really need a link for something as basic as this? Do you really think Germany or any other country is really unaware that we or other countries spy? Do you think they're unaware of the little agency called the NSA? You really think they're unaware of things they do themselves?

Yes, fake outrage

"Faux outrage is another universally practiced tool of the trade, and needn’t cause harm unless governments do dumb things to show they’re serious."

Last edited:
•••
lol, are you for real?

I wonder the same about you often, sadly though. My point was that you choose links very carelessly, perhaps under the assumption that few people will actually click and read them.

Of course, I don't care whether a bunch of cynical and mostly venal European pols are shocked or not.

The point, once again, is that you are handing over immense surveillance and enforcement powers to people who aren't primarily concerned with your well-being. At at some point, maybe already passed, you won't be able to to retract those powers - and they will be used in ways that will shock you, unless you are feigning your current naivety.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? History makes good reading.

•••
Save the naivety comments, you're drowning in it. It seems like you have this Evil Empire, out to get the people view with stuff like:

"and they will be used in ways that will shock you,"

Oh, please share. I'd love to know the little evil stuff you have going around in your mind, that you think the government will one day unleash on the people.

•••
It's true, Europe is as bad, sometimes worse than the US.
The EU data retention directive is a good example of spying against the citizenry. It is so controversial that some countries have not implemented it. A case against was heard before the European Court of Justice yesterday and I hope will be struck down.

In a number of cases, this is a result of lobbying/pressure from the US (=> policy laundering). Example: biometric passports and enrollment of all third party nationals.
But other countries are also encouraged by the bad example set by the US: if the so-called democratic nations can afford to behave in a increasingly authoritarian manner, then the less democratic regimes also feel they have every right to do the same (that's why Russia is now starting to require PNR data).

The US certainly can no longer afford to lecture other countries on human rights because it leads the pack when it comes to setting the bad example. The US has zero credibility today and that has destroyed any leverage in foreign policy.
For example, if Obama was to make a speech to condemn the actions of some despot somewhere (Belarus for example) people would just laugh and shrug. Nobody takes it seriously. Can the US slam Belarus for detaining people arbitrarily while Gitmo is still in operation ? Of course not.

In the meanwhile the EU doublespeak about freedom and privacy is reinforced all the time to disguise the reality but actions speak louder than words.

I have noticed one thing about the US, it is always at war against somebody or something. There was the Cold War but before it was over you also had the war on drugs (still ongoing) then the war on terror now.
War on this, war on that.
Terrorism has replaced communism as the new archenemy, in order to justify the ever growing police/military state.
The war on drugs brings in a steady flow of inmates to the correctional system (= big business). Follow the money. Fear is good for business. But citizens always pay the price.

Hint: it is a permanent war and you are, if not the target, collateral damage or cannon fodder.

•••
"But other countries are also encouraged by the bad example set by the US: if the so-called democratic nations can afford to behave in a increasingly authoritarian manner, then the less democratic regimes also feel they have every right to do the same (that's why Russia is now starting to require PNR data)."

C'mon now. Russia? Mr. KGB himself Putin, doesn't need to take any cues from us. They probably put us to shame in that department.

"Terrorism has replaced communism as the new archenemy, in order to justify the ever growing police/military state."

Well, terrorism is not our friend. And it happens. What do you expect, less?

As far as always with the war. True, sure seems like that but you leave out some of that is helping out allies or helping out when asked. Went over that earlier in the thread, with that one documentary I watched about what if we just pulled all our military bases. They went thru some of the reasons. Talked about Japan, when Saddam invaded Kuwait (our ally), what happened in Bosnia, it wasn't like anybody in the EU was going to do anything. When the U.S. helps, it's why are they meddling. If we don't, it's why aren't you doing anything. And when somebody needs help, who do they usually call? It's easy to live in a country like yours, who's population would fill just half a state, to be sort of neutral because you have other countries like Canada/U.S. that have and would take care of you when needed.

Last edited:
•••
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-100 dolla bill dude

Hope I dont get banned for double posting, but this is what I said in the nsa thread and ...

So here it is kiddies, what "they" are feeding the mainstream.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...-hide-nsa-your-guide-nearly-impossible/66942/
The Atlantic Wire-

So, You Want to Hide from the NSA? Your Guide to the Nearly Impossible

Complaining about the government is a key part of being American, the first amendment to the Constitution. But it seems like a bit of a trickier proposition these days, with the government listening to everything you say online. In the interest of preserving your freedoms and bolstering our fair nation, here is the full articulation of the deeply paranoid and complex life you must live in order to assure that the government leaves you alone.

Before we begin, we'll note that technically the NSA isn't allowed to look at the stuff you do online. Thanks to the Patriot Act, it can (and does) store the metadata on phone calls Americans make every day—who was called, how long the call lasted, maybe some location data. The NSA also pulls in online content, but can't do so legally on targets in the United States. This is part of the PRISM program you may have heard about, in which the NSA can access data from an array of companies in near-real-time. In practice, the NSA's procedures are sufficiently lax that it does collect information (content) from Americans, of course. And until 2011, it collected metadata on emails, including subject lines and to- and from-addresses.

That is the worst case scenario. Yes, the NSA is definitely slurping up scads of information about your phone calls. It probably isn't storing your Facebook chats, emails, and Skype calls. Our goal with this guide is to detail exactly what you need to do to assure that it can't, even if it wants to. As you will see, it is a cumbersome process.

For assistance in fleshing out this guide, we spoke with Micah Lee, a staff technologist with the Electronic Frontier Foundation who has also written a guide to some of the tools mentioned below.

First, the really bad news.

The world learned about PRISM thanks to a series of slides leaked by Edward Snowden. Among those slides was this one.

e93db3ff1defbbead863e523f4527e25_623x467.jpg

On this slide, you can see the companies that participate in the program but also the data they offer the NSA, if the agency asks. Microsoft, Google, Yahoo (complete with trademark exclamation point), Facebook, YouTube, Skype, AOL, Apple. All of the logos smushed into the header of the slide. And all of the companies to be avoided if you don't want any chance that the NSA can surveil what you're doing.

Again: We are not saying that you should not use Facebook. What we are saying is that if you are desperate to prevent the NSA from knowing what you're doing, you shouldn't use Facebook. And there's nothing you can do to make using Facebook better—no encryption, no anything can make Facebook safe from the NSA. (We'll discuss this more a little later on.)

But it gets worse. These are the companies known to be participating in PRISM as of last October (when Apple was added). Since then, others may have been added; others may be added in the future. The truly paranoid, then, will have second thoughts about nearly any major Internet company.

And then it gets worse still, as Lee pointed out. "Any company that's inside of U.S. jurisdiction," he said, "can get government requests for data. Even if they're not listed in the PRISM slides, that doesn't mean the government isn't getting data from them." If the NSA wants your data, in other words, it can probably get it. It just might not be in real-time. (We'll get back to this, too.)

HeaderEmail.png

Before we continue, we should flesh out an important distinction. When you think of an email, what you generally think of is the content of the email, the message. In order for that message to get to you, though, the email also needs to contain metadata, a term loosely-and-not-entirely-accurately used to refer to information about the email message itself. For example: who it is addressed to, who it came from, what its subject is. (We have gone deeper into this before.)

Comtinue... for rest of article...worth the read.
HeaderBrowse.png

HeaderIM.png

HeaderPhone.png

So basically...Nothing works...

This is the way it is, there is nothing you can do about it, we dont care if it's legal or not, you are all f'd.
Thank you and have a nice day. :wave:

Oh, and btw... "they" are "them" 8-X

Peace,
Cy

•••
Oh, please share. I'd love to know the little evil stuff you have going around in your mind, that you think the government will one day unleash on the people.

Pick up a few history books, then read your local newspaper. You'll see plenty of parallels. I would guess you've been brought up to take a sort of semi-neutered lifestyle for granted. The overwhelming police presence in every little incident, the abuse at the airports, the endless obscure regulations and need for attorneys to conduct daily affairs, pay taxes, run a business, the IRS targeting political groups. None of that worries you, so I imagine it will take a pretty nasty smack to wake you up. I can't imagine what it will be, but governments by nature will keep pushing until they reach that point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back