Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
In time, millions of names will represent non business related social points of contact
I wonder how many general public .tel's have been registered? I'm guessing almost all of them at this stage are by domainers and a few businesses here and there. This was probably the plan. Release in beta and use the revenue from domainers to justify and fund continued development. I think the closer we get to the first renewal period, the more aggressive.tel will have to get with the domainer community to help prevent a really high expiration rate. One thing I would do if I was .tel is fake a bunch of strong .tel sales on the boards using character posters.

Imagine having an authentication process in place that will allow you to use that single .tel domain at 1000's of websites instead of being required to complete an independent registration
You are looking at this from the perspective of a web surfer and not a webmaster. Webmasters will not turn their registration process over to a 3rd party. There is a 0% chance of that happening. The few advantages do not offset the risks involved for both the surfer and webmaster.

•••
•••
One thing I would do if I was .tel is fake a bunch of strong .tel sales on the boards using character posters.

Not only is deceiving people immoral, it is also pointless. Resale prices on the aftermarket are only of interest to other domain traders and does not have any impact on the broader adoption of .tel. If I thought it made any difference then I would report a large offer that I rejected, but it doesn't matter, and it would just invite a lot of (justified) skepticism anyway and detract from the core discussion.

You are looking at this from the perspective of a web surfer and not a webmaster. Webmasters will not turn their registration process over to a 3rd party. There is a 0% chance of that happening. The few advantages do not offset the risks involved for both the surfer and webmaster.

Didn't you read my previous reply to you? Support for OpenID delegation on the web proxy has been suggested to Telnic and is under consideration.

Last edited:
•••
One thing I would do if I was .tel is fake a bunch of strong .tel sales on the boards using character posters.

That's an unwarranted reply and it doesn't add anything to the thread. It also shows you have a low character. You should clarify what you meant by you would shill legitimate sales to give a false sense of value. I would point out that if you ever want to sell an name here or elsewhere where I am a member, I'll be sure to point out that faux pas to the interested parties.

Last edited:
•••
Direct Connect

I doubt they said .tel would replace phone numbers as a direct dial method. But OK. You don't want to play anymore :wave:

Umm, what part of my post, and Telnic's road map are you debating? I think it's you who don't wish to play. They say clearly, "Direct Connect".

•••
•••
So let me make sure I understand what you're saying. You're saying that you didn't write this:
Items 4 and 17 are delivered already, and item 7 = Direct Connect (choosing which number is a decision on any list).
but that Telnic wrote that?

And also, that
7. Click-to-communicate Click a click-to-call weblink to your VoIP/Internet telephone number.
is the same thing as dialing a phone number with your phone?

You have me confused. When can I pick up my phone and dial phonenumber.tel and have it call the person I want?

Umm, what part of my post, and Telnic's road map are you debating? I think it's you who don't wish to play. They say clearly, "Direct Connect".

•••
Ask Telnic

So let me make sure I understand what you're saying. You're saying that you didn't write this:

but that Telnic wrote that?

And also, that
is the same thing as dialing a phone number with your phone?

You have me confused. When can I pick up my phone and dial phonenumber.tel and have it call the person I want?

I'm not making all this up, lol!

Ask Telnic when you can use the feature, it's their stated road map for .Tel, so it's what we can expect from them in the coming months ahead.

And, yes, telnic has the road map posted on their web site. Http://telnic.org.

•••
I'm not making all this up, lol!

Ask Telnic when you can use the feature, it's their stated road map for .Tel, so it's what we can expect from them in the coming months ahead.

And, yes, telnic has the road map posted on their web site. Http://telnic.org.

I think you may be overstating what .tel is planning. I reviewed the road map on their site and I did not see anyplace where they eluded to a way to automatically connecting a phone call by visiting a .tel site. What you are pointing out is a click to call link which you can do on any site. I have them on some of my .mobi names. It's not a direct connection from entering a web address and having it dial a phone number.

•••
I'm not so sure about that.

I think you may be overstating what .tel is planning. I reviewed the road map on their site and I did not see anyplace where they eluded to a way to automatically connecting a phone call by visiting a .tel site. What you are pointing out is a click to call link which you can do on any site. I have them on some of my .mobi names. It's not a direct connection from entering a web address and having it dial a phone number.

The difference between your mobi and .tel is they are developing apps on the client device for .tel. VOIP phones, etc, plus traditional contacts, plus whatever else you list... I interpret this as a pop up list to chose from.

Anyway, you really can't compare .mobi to .tel, completely different focus. You won't be able to toi pick up any phone anywhere and type the .tel and get connected... that would involve the phone company. Hmm, .Tel, Phone company.. MIGHT HAPPEN.

Splitting hairs here to some degree. .Tel is communication made simple.

Last edited:
•••

Like I said, this is already possible with a couple of VOIP clients, and over time I think we'll see this kind of functionality become ubiquitous.

Don't really understand what your argument is.

•••
Yes. Big simple plans: make the dialer and address book .tel aware.
In effect, "dial a .tel". Let's put the 20th century phone numbers to rest, and use names in the 21st century.

Henri said this a few pages back regarding plans for Android.

•••
The difference between your mobi and .tel is they are developing apps on the client device for .tel. VOIP phones, etc, plus traditional contacts, plus whatever else you list... I interpret this as a pop up list to chose from.

Anyway, you really can't compare .mobi to .tel, completely different focus. You won't be able to toi pick up any phone anywhere and type the .tel and get connected... that would involve the phone company. Hmm, .Tel, Phone company.. MIGHT HAPPEN.

Splitting hairs here to some degree. .Tel is communication made simple.

You could have just said that in the beginning instead of trying to convince me that .tel will be direct connecting telephones to .tel sites. This was an exercise in futility.

•••
If you have an iPhone I urge you to download the app called Superbook.
It gives you a dynamic address book and provides the first part of the .tel vision: not having to manage other people's contact info.

Practically, you're replacing:
launch dialer -> select person -> choose number -> call
with:
launch superbook -> select person -> choose number -> call

The difference being that you're dynamically choosing the number the person gives you at the time you want to call, not the number you stored in your address book. Note that users of Superbook don't see any speed difference between using the regular static addressbook and the dynamic Superbook thanks to the DNS platform.

Now of course the plan is to integrate superbook into the dialer/addressbook so it natively understands .tel. (and therefore you can dial a .tel instead of a number).

Or, again practically, you'll be replacing:
launch dialer -> type number -> call
with:
launch dialer -> type .tel (-> choose number) -> call

where the 3rd step is optional (the dialer would auto-select the first number found). Again, such functionality is already available in superbook.

Finally, with Android you can replace the dialer, which you can't do with the iPhone, so it's easier to work with Android. Of course the operators would have to pre-install the custom build and this will take time, but as .tel expands it'll be easier and easier.

•••
I just made statements..

You could have just said that in the beginning instead of trying to convince me that .tel will be direct connecting telephones to .tel sites. This was an exercise in futility.

Hey, I'm just commenting on the boards, I believe you were the one who started quoting and asking for answers. If I were a paid marketing agent I'd have a script lined up and know exactly what to say and when to say it, I'm not, but can't we all just commit this entire thread to memory! LOL I can't.

I do see the value in .tel, and every time I chew on it's uses I smell roses, I see functionality that never existed from a registration authority, and I see global change for the internet.

Every other gTLD is a repeat on the previous, bogged down by the need to provide content. .Tel is a pardign shift. A place where you can get quick information and then dig in to the content.

We need to awaken Sky.Net, we need sentient computing, we need to eliminate the stops in daily tasks, I want my iPhone to have FLASH!

I think the exercise in futility is trying to convice the word that the world has changed!, most people don't see the change happening, they simply get consumed by it. Are you part of the change or just going along for the ride?

.TEL!

•••
Didn't you read my previous reply to you? Support for OpenID delegation on the web proxy has been suggested to Telnic and is under consideration.
Implementing an open ID using .tel is one thing, getting webmasters to hook their sites up to it is something entirely different. As a webmaster I want to retain 100% control over my own users. If I were a scammer I'd be drooling over open ID. The phishing scams would be uncontrollable.

•••
.tel email guide

this posted on another forum

"here's a quick guide to setting up free .tel email using the CTH panel, that is, mx settings screen.
its free email provided by way of the "google apps" email service

.tel redirecting - Support and end-user guides

(still a work in progress ok?)"

•••
The observations below are mostly for Henri/ Telnic, but I am also wondering if other people on this forum have similar questions and issues, or if my issues are unique.....

1) DNS navigation between .tel domains (jumping from .tel to .tel domain) seemed a lot smoother in the past- now the links open in new windows and for some purposes (see below) the new set up seems to me less efficient than in the past- basically in certain instances the new set up adds the need for closing a second window, and I don't currently understand why that would be necessary- there might be valid technical considerations behind it, but for now I don't see them.... Steveteva mentioned in the past that it would be nice to have both options available for .tel developers: to open links in a new window or to continue in the same window....

For example, maybe in the future one could put as a link in telhosting domain.tel if they want to open a new window, but if one wants to open this domain in the same window, maybe they should just put domain.tel without www as a link in telhosting, in this way maintaining uninterupted DNS navigation within one bigger .tel / DNS structure that for some purposes (rapid navigation and search capability, see below) would be more useful than one individual .tel domain (basically the bigger .tel/ DNS structure would be an aggregate and/or network of .tel domains).... I don't know if offering .tel developers both options is technically possible or straightforward, but I suspect that it is a relatively simple matter. That would allow amongst other things for supernetworks of .tel domains that can be navigated rapidly from mobile devices using the DNS and that don't necessarily depend on accessing the web, except at the end of the DNS navigation if you try to open another site that is dependent on the web like .com, etc.... I hope that I am not making mistakes or the wrong assumptions here, because my background is not IT....

For example I tried to put about 250 .tel domains with the top Romanian keywords and cities as links under one domain (comunitate.tel that is bilingual in both Romanian and English) that used to work very smooth, thinking that it can form a .tel / dns structure that might resemble the backbone of a modern, more useful phonebook based on .tel/ DNS information that could logically and theoretically cover a whole country... In the past navigation between .tel domains used to be extremely fast, but after 5/13 the .tel platform added the need for opening and closing an extra window, which some might consider to be slightly disruptive or unnecessary.... Again, these might be just some isolated observations but they reflect my experience. It is possible that people might like the new set up with opening a new window more than the old set up....

it's too bad that links are open in new windows because some browsers have popup block, better to have both as option.

2) The Superbook on iPhone is currently very nice, extremely quick and useful for adding simple .tel domains to somebody's contact or book. Do you plan to add to the Superbook a capability similar to jepaa.com to search for .tel domains based on keywords? And finally, do you plan to add to the Superbook a capability to search for keyword(s) within one domain with many subfolders or aggregate of .tel links and domains as described above for comunitate.tel ?.... I think that these features would be extremely useful for everybody using and developing .tels.

Either way, thank you for your attention to these matters and I wanted to thank everybody at Telnic for their hard work and achievements so far.
Stefan

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

To clarify one sentence above, because the forum automatically edited out www out of one of my sentences, that sentence should read: "For example, maybe in the future one could put as a link in telhosting domain.tel preceded by www if they want to open a new window, but if one wants to open this domain in the same window, maybe they should just put domain.tel without www as a link in telhosting, in this way maintaining uninterupted DNS navigation within one bigger .tel / DNS structure that for some purposes (rapid navigation and search capability, see below) would be more useful than one individual .tel domain (basically the bigger .tel/ DNS structure would be an aggregate and/or network of .tel domains)....

Stefan

•••
Implementing an open ID using .tel is one thing, getting webmasters to hook their sites up to it is something entirely different. As a webmaster I want to retain 100% control over my own users. If I were a scammer I'd be drooling over open ID. The phishing scams would be uncontrollable.

If you act as a relying party then you would still maintain full control over your userbase - the only thing you're outsourcing is the authentication part of the process. There are ways to mitigate the threat of phishing, e.g. some identity providers offer X509 client side certificates.

Anyway, the fact remains that eventually I hope to be able to delegate authority from my .tel to my identity provider.

•••
If you act as a relying party then you would still maintain full control over your userbase - the only thing you're outsourcing is the authentication part of the process. There are ways to mitigate the threat of phishing, e.g. some identity providers offer X509 client side certificates.

Anyway, the fact remains that eventually I hope to be able to delegate authority from my .tel to my identity provider.
Listen, even if someone comes up with a way to make open ID work nicely for everyone involved, it won't be through a paid service like .tel. There are only a few companies in the world who could implement it at no charge and use their massive userbase to draw people into the concept; Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and maybe AOL.

Open ID is over rated anyway. If people want to have the same user/pass at every site, then they can register with the same user/pass at every site..... which is never a good idea, even with an open ID. Someone steals that one ID and they've got access to everything. And client side certificates do not protect the high % of internet users who are dumb and will put their open ID into any site asking for it. Which is a huge hurdle for open ID's.

•••
Listen, even if someone comes up with a way to make open ID work nicely for everyone involved, it won't be through a paid service like .tel. There are only a few companies in the world who could implement it at no charge and use their massive userbase to draw people into the concept; Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and maybe AOL.

All of the companies you mentioned are OpenID providers, and more and more of the services they provide are steadily becoming OpenID consumers.

DubDubDubDot said:
Open ID is over rated anyway. If people want to have the same user/pass at every site, then they can register with the same user/pass at every site..... which is never a good idea, even with an open ID. Someone steals that one ID and they've got access to everything. And client side certificates do not protect the high % of internet users who are dumb and will put their open ID into any site asking for it. Which is a huge hurdle for open ID's.

Eh? X509 authentication happens on the client side. You aren't sharing your private key with anybody, indeed you can even idiot proof the whole thing and keep it confined within USB dongles. If you lose it, just revoke your certificate. There are also other kinds of crypto tokens you can use. I use OpenID wherever it's supported, and it makes my life much easier.

Anyway we're totally off-topic now. You don't know what you're talking about and simply enjoy arguing for the sake of it. I give up on you.

•••
My apologies if this is a repost, this thread is huge.
It looks like telnic has finally released a method to track stats of .tel domains.

https://telstats.nic.tel/

•••
My apologies if this is a repost, this thread is huge.
It looks like telnic has finally released a method to track stats of .tel domains.

https://telstats.nic.tel/

BIG GREAT NEWS!!

But really hard to use, wait to see the next step of statistics.

•••
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Dot tel monetization is now a real thing, forget about all guesses.
To all nasayers, I say dot tel are what you miss if you want to make some revenues.
Last night I've received an email from Benny Traub (Monetelize.com) and was one of the first to get the free download guide and a page link to a video explaining all possible ways to monetize a dot tel. WOW a new revolution! Fantastic job! You'll find all infos you need in this guide. The solution is now available. I highly recommend you subscribe free and download their guide:

Monetize .tel Domains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back