Dynadot

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
even ll.co.uk names are only worth low xxx... apparently!!

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Yes sell them to me :)
They're not worth low xxx trade price, they're worth at least minimum low-mid xxxx and that's a good price.

•••
•••
•••
•••
it's about time they legalized e-scooters in the UK

e-scooter.co.uk (;

•••
•••
Anyone need some HemorrhoidTreatment (.co.uk) :ROFL:

reg from the deleted list that I picked up today.

•••
Also picked up hemorrhoid (.co/uk). I've been registering a few uk related domains over the past couple of weeks, building up my portfolio again after a few years a neglect. Here are some i've picked up:

toolguard (co/uk)
tattoo (.me/uk) simply for the insane amount of searches on this word.
anxietydisorder (.org/uk) handreg
hairremover (.co/uk + .uk)
spoked (.co/uk) single word think bikes
truepoker (.co/uk)
hemorriod (.co/uk)
hemorriodtreatment (.co/uk)

I'm in the UK so maybe a bit biased, but it's a neglected market imo. But even with that being said, it's still one of top ranking extensions.

Happy for opinions and feedback on these. Not sure if i'll sell or develop as of yet.

•••
LL.co.uk $xx,xxx?
LLL.co.uk $xxxx - low $xx,xxx?

•••
The problem for the .co.uk market isn't that demand isn't there. It's more to do with prices being heavily suppressed due to the number of domains being sold at heavily discounted prices. The problem really stems from the early 2000's . There was a fairly large contingent of affluent buyers that had decided to invest in only the UK market. Literally swooping up 100,000's of domains. Almost everything was in the hands of domainers and in the main they weren't prepared to sell anything £ x,xxx or below. This gave them a massive sense of wealth and control. Smaller investors like me followed suit on pricing. Unfortunately it took far to long for all of us to realise the UK market was NOT a mirror of the .COM. That sort of massive demand was never there in the first place. So then we had a fairly stagnated market.. Sellers staying hard on prices - and any Perceived bargain being picked up by the same domainers. Very little was going to end-users.

Now the Crunch
With all this Inventory in relatively such a small base of hands It took quite a few years for the penny to drop and a few sellers started to drop prices. It didn't make much difference at first. End Users still considered the resale market way over priced. The Stalwarts were still holding firm saying the market is there just waiting to Explode. How wrong they were.

So finally the UK market started to crumble. Even those domainers that were previously buying on the resale market found they couldn't get anywhere near what they had laid out 5 to 10 years earlier. Prices dropped even further. 90% price drops in high end names wasn't unusual.

The market wasn't in freefall as such. It just wasn't there from the beginning.. So here we are today and we generally have the same perspective. Why buy the UK's if you can't sell them, No matter how good the price looks. End users are being more creative in their chosen names and if their going to lay out top dollar. might as well get myself a half decent dot com.

Yep I blame UK Domainers and anyone that kept talking up a market that never really showed any growth EXCEPT between themselves. Of course individuals can quote sales of four and five figures (I can do the same) but these do not alone set the market conditions as is

Last edited:
•••
The problem for the .co.uk market isn't that demand isn't there. It's more to do with prices being heavily suppressed due to the number of domains being sold at heavily discounted prices. The problem really stems from the early 2000's . There was a fairly large contingent of affluent buyers that had decided to invest in only the UK market. Literally swooping up 100,000's of domains. Almost everything was in the hands of domainers and in the main they weren't prepared to sell anything £ x,xxx or below. This gave them a massive sense of wealth and control. Smaller investors like me followed suit on pricing. Unfortunately it took far to long for all of us to realise the UK market was NOT a mirror of the .COM. That sort of massive demand was never there in the first place. So then we had a fairly stagnated market.. Sellers staying hard on prices - and any Perceived bargain being picked up by the same domainers. Very little was going to end-users.

Now the Crunch
With all this Inventory in relatively such a small base of hands It took quite a few years for the penny to drop and a few sellers started to drop prices. It didn't make much difference at first. End Users still considered the resale market way over priced. The Stalwarts were still holding firm saying the market is there just waiting to Explode. How wrong they were.

So finally the UK market started to crumble. Even those domainers that were previously buying on the resale market found they couldn't get anywhere near what they had laid out 5 to 10 years earlier. Prices dropped even further. 90% price drops in high end names wasn't unusual.

The market wasn't in freefall as such. It just wasn't there from the beginning.. So here we are today and we generally have the same perspective. Why buy the UK's if you can't sell them, No matter how good the price looks. End users are being more creative in their chosen names and if their going to lay out top dollar. might as well get myself a half decent dot com.

Yep I blame UK Domainers and anyone that kept talking up a market that never really showed any growth EXCEPT between themselves. Of course individuals can quote sales of four and five figures (I can do the same) but these do not alone set the market conditions as is

The UK market is great in fact its the best it has been the issue is people will moan if they are not selling domain names all depends what you have yes I agree .UK is not doing well but co.uk is great and we should get some great sales this year.

•••
The UK market is great in fact its the best it has been the issue is people will moan if they are not selling domain names all depends what you have yes I agree .UK is not doing well but co.uk is great and we should get some great sales this year.

I think if you try to bring a sense of reality to any market, Of course, someone will say it's because they aren't selling.

I personally didn't have a problem selling most of my .co.uk's purely because I realised the market wasn't there for 4 figure and plus sales. There's always going to be exceptions, I dropped my prices to mid 3 figures or slightly above and cleared virtually everything (mostly I imagine to fellow domainers) Occasionally I was selling 3 or 4 a day. This is all good, No complaints from me. I still hold around 40 co.uk's today.

After 25 years in the UK market. I feel I'm fairly experienced in what sells and what UK businesses are prepared to pay and I can categorically say It never reached the expectations of the early investors Who thought they were part of the dotcom boom., with prices to match.

Those who arrived at a level-head have probably done fairly well, Buying low and selling reasonably priced. But these are NOT in the main 'Domain Name Journal' type figures as you can well agree. Now if you go back 15 years (or more) it was a slightly different story.

I can time-line it far more accurately but I don't think the History of the Co.Uk really needs it

Last edited:
•••
•••
MetaLive
BuyRobot
RoboInsurance

•••
Between .co.uk/.uk, I have about 80. Experimenting with repricing them 30% of estibot appraisal to see if it generates any movement.
Antacids.uk
Anxieties.uk
Asbesto.co.uk
Beisbol.co.uk
Bitcoinx.uk
Brokeragefirms.co.uk
Clubpoker.uk
Esporte.uk
Goldx.uk
Gptx.uk
Jewelrysets.co.uk
Mpeg.uk
Pokerchip.uk
Pokerx.uk
Poquer.co.uk
Robotgpt.uk
Robotx.uk
Ruleta.co.uk
Soccertv.uk
Strippoker.uk

•••
still waiting on e-scooter.co.uk.

•••
•••
•••
I think if you try to bring a sense of reality to any market, Of course, someone will say it's because they aren't selling.

I personally didn't have a problem selling most of my .co.uk's purely because I realised the market wasn't there for 4 figure and plus sales. There's always going to be exceptions, I dropped my prices to mid 3 figures or slightly above and cleared virtually everything (mostly I imagine to fellow domainers) Occasionally I was selling 3 or 4 a day. This is all good, No complaints from me. I still hold around 40 co.uk's today.

After 25 years in the UK market. I feel I'm fairly experienced in what sells and what UK businesses are prepared to pay and I can categorically say It never reached the expectations of the early investors Who thought they were part of the dotcom boom., with prices to match.

Those who arrived at a level-head have probably done fairly well, Buying low and selling reasonably priced. But these are NOT in the main 'Domain Name Journal' type figures as you can well agree. Now if you go back 15 years (or more) it was a slightly different story.

I can time-line it far more accurately but I don't think the History of the Co.Uk really needs it
As a UK investor myself most of my portfolio is pretty much made up of UK domains, but I had always struggled pricing the names, so it was always an easier option to advertise these as 'make offer'.

I ran with this for quite a while with no sales and then decided to change these up and price them all at BIN pointing them all to Sedo landers. The majority of my doamins are priced at around the £695 mark or slightly higher for those more premium names. Since doing this, sales have been steady so I agree that pricing UK domains at middle £££ works.

UK buyers are very price sensitive.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back