Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

Top Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From mellowmasher post:

Important: The minimum commission fee for domains with the above extensions may be waived if the domain is verifiably parked with Sedo for at least 32 days prior to a sale. This waiver applies to most countries. The minimum commission for .tel domains cannot be waived (.tel domains cannot be parked).

•••
Set all your minimum offers to $500.

•••
I sent a name to auction prior to the rule change and support is telling me I have to pay $50 on a $100 sale... yet in the transfer center it shows 10%, they dont even know what they are doing... I certainly wont pay half to sedo in commission, I simply wont transfer the name if thats how they wanna play.

Can anyone recommend a good sedo alternative as far as getting domain sales at, Im not too concerned about parking rev.

•••
I sent a name to auction prior to the rule change and support is telling me I have to pay $50 on a $100 sale... yet in the transfer center it shows 10%, they dont even know what they are doing... I certainly wont pay half to sedo in commission, I simply wont transfer the name if thats how they wanna play.

Can anyone recommend a good sedo alternative as far as getting domain sales at, Im not too concerned about parking rev.

That is awful...be sure to keep us updated.

Out of curiosity, was the domain listed with any fixed price before you sent it? I am not saying that should matter in your case, since the auction was started before the new date, but I am just wondering what happens if I list at $500 and start an auction at $60. I have asked Sedo, but they won't address the issue.

•••
I didnt have a fixed price... this is what they replied concerning that.

------------------------

Please note that if you set a fixed price for one of your domain a sale for less then that amount is not possible.

If you sell your domain in an auction and your domain is parked with Sedo the minimum commission has to be paid according to our price list.

--------------------------------

Thus you will have to pay the $50 unless it is sold at your fixed price. Total BS.

They are still saying I have to pay the $50, I took a screen shot of the transfer center where it says 7 EUR commission to be paid. I told them that I refuse to pay the $50 and they replied back with this...

-----------------------

If you refuse to go through with this sale, you will be reneging on a legal contract and this case may be elevated to our Security & Compliance team.

-----------------------

lol... Im scared... lol

Mike

•••
I didnt have a fixed price... this is what they replied concerning that.

------------------------

Please note that if you set a fixed price for one of your domain a sale for less then that amount is not possible.

If you sell your domain in an auction and your domain is parked with Sedo the minimum commission has to be paid according to our price list.

--------------------------------

Thus you will have to pay the $50 unless it is sold at your fixed price. Total BS.

They are still saying I have to pay the $50, I took a screen shot of the transfer center where it says 7 EUR commission to be paid. I told them that I refuse to pay the $50 and they replied back with this...

-----------------------

If you refuse to go through with this sale, you will be reneging on a legal contract and this case may be elevated to our Security & Compliance team.

-----------------------

lol...

Mike

Wow, so all domains that I have listed at "PushToAuction.com" would be represent a TERRIBLE idea unless they fetch over $50 as according to what you posted above (and Sedo seems to state), any auctions that end under $500 are largely useless for the sellers (in terms of profit optimization). Bah, I am confusing myself now...I would really just like Sedo to spell out some SPECIFIC examples of what the commissions would be in a given situation.

•••
Yeh once you've been burned once by Sedo you never go back. I'm sure they were more than happy to receive 50 out of the 60 dollars I received for FBLA.mobi. I mean they did earn it pshhhhh.

•••
Was inevitable - I'm sure they can't afford to do $6 commission on transactions they are doing escrow etc. on, and the amount of sellers that will do $60 fixed price vs. $60 push-to-auction is obviously much less. Still sucks that they make this change all of a sudden. I guess they want to lose more ground to Afternic.

•••
WTF???????

I just went to my sedo transfer center...Im being charged $100 on a $110 sale

Sale Price:
110 USD

Sedo's Commission:
100 USD

Net amount to be credited:
10 USD

SEDO IM TOTALLY SHOCKED

Last edited:
•••
Was inevitable - I'm sure they can't afford to do $6 commission on transactions they are doing escrow etc. on, and the amount of sellers that will do $60 fixed price vs. $60 push-to-auction is obviously much less. Still sucks that they make this change all of a sudden. I guess they want to lose more ground to Afternic.

I agree with you on the commission being quite low at times, but often $60 auction starts yield $200+, which still isn't high, but it is something for them. The change could very well have a bigger effect overall with customer satisfaction. For instance, I have sold maybe 5 domains through a "push", each for $90 to $400, but I have also sold a domain for $xxxx via direct offer. If, due to frustration, I pulled all of my domains from Sedo, they could be missing out on potential $xxxx sales in the future.

I realize that I am a small potato to them, but it's the same issue with banks not realizing the future potential of a satisfied customer.

•••
WTF???????

I just went to my sedo transfer center...Im being charged $100 on a $110 sale

Sale Price:
110 USD

Sedo's Commission:
100 USD

Net amount to be credited:
10 USD

SEDO IM TOTALLY SHOCKED

ha ha rip off

•••
Basic rule of survival:-

Don't kill the little fish - they are the future.%%-

•••

That sucks :td: whatever happens they should respect those sales already concluded before the change over.

Please let us know what they do :hearts:

I have actually refused an offer that I would have sent to auction for low xxx because of the changes so it has already changed the way I deal with Sedo.

•••
Basic rule of survival:-

Don't kill the little fish - they are the future.%%-

Exactly!
Although it won't make a dent in their business, I just removed 500+
I made more at ND and even at Dynadot parking than sedo, just used them for ease of transfer, escrow etc. Endusers seem comfortable dealing with Sedo, oh well.

•••
Exactly!
Although it won't make a dent in their business, I just removed 500+
I made more at ND and even at Dynadot parking than sedo, just used them for ease of transfer, escrow etc. Endusers seem comfortable dealing with Sedo, oh well.

Exactly what I did, albeit with a lot few domains. I realize that I may be over-reacting, but it is just frustrating to be stabbed in the back by a company like this - hopefully they pay attention to this thread.

•••
Exactly what I did, albeit with a lot few domains. I realize that I may be over-reacting, but it is just frustrating to be stabbed in the back by a company like this - hopefully they pay attention to this thread.

There is over reacting and then there are principles.
Look at domain jedi's thread.
Estibot and Micheal from PushtoAuction had interesting blog posts about sedo
(I think i read it on Domaining .com)

There are other places to park and sell domains. I am sure they will appreciate the business.

•••
I am confused. Did Sedo changed commission policy? I have a bid thread for a domain parked at Sedo, and the commission fee is 50Euro. For a 60Euro sale, Sedo will take 50 and I will take 10 which is quite funny.

Should I have to park the name for 30 days before to have a %10 commission sale? Because it is written that we have to set a fixed price. And also I registered the name 10 days ago, it is parked at Sedo from the very first day. So How I can park it 30 days ago, before regging it :)

•••
Sedo just got back to me, they now agree that I should and will only pay 10% commission on my recent sale due to the fact that the auction began prior to Oct. 21st.

•••
Sedo just got back to me, they now agree that I should and will only pay 10% commission on my recent sale due to the fact that the auction began prior to Oct. 21st.

Happy to hear that Tippy. Did they mention anything about the new policy and "pushed" auctions? With the commission change and GreatDomains debacle Sedo sure is losing a lot of customers at the moment and reverting some of the policies may not bring everyone back.

•••
From what I can tell they will honor the old rules as long as your offer/auction came in/started prior to Oct. 21st.

•••
Thanks Tippy, glad it worked out in your favour :)

I have actually refused an offer that I would have sent to auction for low xxx because of the changes so it has already changed the way I deal with Sedo.

Sucks that you have to refuse an offer cause of fees >:(

I have had a Sedo account for 3 years, I just moved ALL of my domains out!

**On a side note**

oh wait, there is no side note ...

•••
With all of the displeasure towards Sedo recently, it's a shame that they don't communicate/respond in the forums. In the world of social media and online communities it is crucial to have respectful two-way communication with your clients. This is one of the reasons that I am impressed with the Bido staff. Sure, they don't appeal to everyone, but they LISTEN.

Come on Sedo...it wasn't until last week that I had any issues with you.

•••
Would be nice if someone from SEDO writes something in this thread.

•••
It's just that it's even harder for us that don't have premium gem names like diamond.com, sell.com, ... to succeed. I just received offer of $75 on domain and now I should give $50 to Sedo? No way. Few days ago I was contacted for a domain with $60 offer and I countered with quite a bit more due to this new rule and they sent me email that I have listed via Whois they won't deal via Sedo - good for me and for them, cause I won't charge as much as I would via Sedo.
Sedo will lose a lot of business to competition ( Afternic, Bido, ... ) and I'm pretty sure some new aftermarket will succeed cause of this.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back