Dynadot

Purchasing a Chinese domain?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hello,

Would you purchase a domain with a huge amount of chinese traffic??

please post your opinion.

thanks

Ed

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes i will but depends on how huge it is.

•••
No as I dont know anything about that market...

•••
Me ye sif it was reasonable and park it at sedo!

•••
Chinese domains are not worth it. I'm from china and can tell you these:
1. Chinese webmasters (or company) will not spend as much money as their peers do in international market. www.eachnic.com and www.domainpricing.com and one section of the forum of www.chinaz.com are the main domain market in China. Look at the price listed there you will know it simply doesn't worth the investment.
2. Chinese like numbers such as 6,8,9, sometimes 2,5 etc, because they have their meanings in the country. Pinyin or the acrynom of Pinyin is widely used in chinese domains. All those domains are valued more but in international market, they are just 0-reg fee.
3. Language differences make most premium English keyword domains very hard to sell to the end-users of China.
Just waiting for the new generations with English abilities growing up.

•••
Only if it's a really good name because of its really high reg fee.

•••
scryed said:
Only if it's a really good name because of its really high reg fee.
Folks, I think the question (assuming I read it properly) is whether or not a regular domain (like yingyeng.com or kimmonen.net) is worth picking up based on its high ammount of visitor traffic originating from Asian locations. In this specific case, originating from China.

I personally have had some modest success monetizing asian traffic, so for me the answer would be yes. I would acquire a domain "with a huge amount of chinese traffic." Certain programs pay on foreign traffic, some better than others. Also, google adwords has worked well in the past for similar traffic.

Alot of domainers don't like to waste their time trying to cash in on asian visitors which is quite understandable. I've struck out a few times on similar domains where traffic was substantial at first (tons of links from baidu.com) but then quickly died off. The hard part for me is tracing such traffic to get a good estimate on how long I can expect it to last.

•••
so buying chinese domains names are not worth it? hmm....actually...i am thinking of starting a chinese site for mp3 downloads and lyrics..

•••
Yes,I would.

Please send me your Chinese names which traffic and price if you want to sell it.

•••
I would purchase it if it was cheap enough, the traffic huge enough, and it wasn't just a flash in the pan.

•••
would u pleased fixed the prices?

•••
? Name
??? Traffic
??? Price

•••
Being Seen said:
Hello,

Would you purchase a domain with a huge amount of chinese traffic??

please post your opinion.

thanks

Ed

Sure, Id have to know how much traffic tho.

•••
I would, it just depends on the name.
Obviously you wouldn't register something that wasn't big in China.

•••
China was the fastest growing domain market Q2 this year, up over 30 %. In a few years a .CN domain can be a really nice investment. Imagine in 5 years from now, when 1/10 of every chinese people want their own domain.. They would even kick .com, hehe.

Duskdawn: I got a few 3 digit .CN domains, also real estate and one letter - aren't they worth anything?

•••
Macke said:
China was the fastest growing domain market Q2 this year, up over 30 %. In a few years a .CN domain can be a really nice investment. Imagine in 5 years from now, when 1/10 of every chinese people want their own domain.. They would even kick .com, hehe.
And in five years time wages in China will have increased enough that the reg fees are only a days pay instead of a weeks pay like now :)

•••
Macke said:
Duskdawn: I got a few 3 digit .CN domains, also real estate and one letter - aren't they worth anything?

I can give you my opinion if you can share your names, but just :imho:
this combos are generally popular:

168 similar pronunciation like "I will be luck and make a fortune"
188 similar pronunciation like "I will make a fortune"
118 similar pronunciation like "I do will make a fortune"
51.. similar pronunciation like "I want..."
520 similar pronunciation like "I love you"
163 Chinese ISP number
9... similar pronunciation like "for a long time"

unlike in English speaking country, the worst number in China is 4, it shares exacly the same pronunciation with "death", and 3 with "misery", if those come along with 1 or 51 at the beginning, You got what I mean right? yes it means "I will die or I do will be miserable".

hope that helps :hearts:

Last edited:
•••
914.cn
934.cn

So those "9" means something with "for a long time" then?
Think it was among the last ten 3 letter .CN that was left to register.

Was thinking to have some domains for Summer Olympics 2008:
beijing-hotels.com.cn
hotelsbeijing.cn

Maybe hotels and apartments could be interesting?
luxuryhotels.cn
hongkongapartment.cn

What about recognizion for flatscreens, lcs monitors and home cinema?
flatscreen.cn
lcdmonitor.cn
homecinema.cn

Also have:
generic.cn

Last edited:
•••
Macke said:
914.cn
934.cn
So those "9" means something with "for a long time" then?
Think it was among the last ten 3 letter .CN that was left to register.
Yea, very bad numbers, 914 means gonna die very soon and the other one is gonna die miserably.

Macke said:
Was thinking to have some domains for Summer Olympics 2008:
beijing-hotels.com.cn
hotelsbeijing.cn

Maybe hotels and apartments could be interesting?
luxuryhotels.cn
hongkongapartment.cn

What about recognizion for flatscreens, lcs monitors and home cinema?
flatscreen.cn
lcdmonitor.cn
homecinema.cn
those ones are good but don't expect too much, you need to find some end-users who exclusively want to cater foreign customers.
Macke said:
Also have:
generic.cn

generic.cn should be sold in international market. I bet few people, including those domainers, can understand what that word mean. It is beyond the English abilities of Chinese people.

good luck.

Last edited:
•••
hehe, thanks for your advice mate.
funny thing with the numbers. but maybe I can turn that into something good. it's like the 666 numbers or something.

•••
What about the 3 letters .cn domains? It seems they worth something as they are now all taken... Do you think chinese companies would buy 3 letters domains with .cn extension or only foreign companies ?

•••
fredo said:
What about the 3 letters .cn domains? It seems they worth something as they are now all taken... Do you think chinese companies would buy 3 letters domains with .cn extension or only foreign companies ?

Yes sure, as long as they are acronym of some Pinyin or abbreviation of a company.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back