Dynadot

NP Community about the Premium letters: Please VOTE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I heard the "call" from newbies and not only newbies so I think we have to challenge the definition of Premium letters (for acronyms like 3 or 4 letters)

We had some surveys here and not only here and there are many things to discuss.

First off all, the mentioned Premium letters have been decided by 1 U.S. website which then many U.S. domainers referred to.

This website did not take into consideration other relevant info that found that LLLL.com starting in W or U were among the first 5 letters.

Then many languages do not have the 26 letters of the English alphabet.
For example in Italian there are only 21 letters. There are no: J-K-X-W-Y

Always in Italian V is a very well used letter. Italians would hate the J-K and X more than any other.

In German the letter Z is a great letter.

Chinese love the Q and X but they don`t have the V.

A recent Poll here found that the letter U is considered by a majority of NP member to be Premium.

More info about the letter U:

- it`s one of the 5 vowels.

- according to this survey:

http://www.mcgees.org/fourletterdomains.html

the letter U has been the 4th preferred letter as starting letter:

Registration rate for domains beginning with a certain letter:
Most popular:
a: 72.7%
w: 70.4% (also here you can that the W was second!)
t: 68.0%
u: 66.4%
i: 66.3%

- and according to these statistics :

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=914452

the letter U in English is used more than letters like M , C and F and is right in the middle of the list (same in the italian language).
If we analise the stats regarding French and German , then the U is used even more.

I suppose that who wrote originally the 3 char price guide has done this little mistake and since that all domainers followed that mistake. Why do we need to follow something that is incorrect?

As you can see, it`s totally difficult to establish only what was considered reliable several years ago when internet users were mainly from the USA.

So please, in the interest of all of us , post your 4 lists so at the end , we`ll be able to have our say based on our community, the NamePros Domainers :)

I will start so that everybody can understand what I mean... it `s simple but sometimes my English is not totally clear :)

I really think we need to split the bad ones in 2 semi categories: Low quality and really the worst ones where I`m listing 2 but you can put as many as you like in each category as long as you put at least 1 letter in each category.
At the end, hopefully after a couple of hundreds of votes, we`ll have simply to get the results.

Ok, here is my vote:

Premium quality: A-B-C-D-E-F-G-I-L-M-N-O-P-R-S-T-U-W

Medium quality: H-V-Y

Low quality: J-K-Z

Worst ones: Q-X

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mmm I've seen this thread only now.
this is my list. I've analyzed a list of 20k italian words from various source.

i 12,43%
e 11,82%
a 10,42%
o 8,80%
n 7,40%
r 6,81%
t 6,81%
l 6,10%
s 5,06%
c 4,01%
d 3,60%
p 2,92%
u 2,92%
m 2,76%
g 1,82%
v 1,56%
h 1,08%
b 1,05%
f 0,99%
z 0,92%
q 0,29%
y 0,10%
k 0,10%
x 0,04%
j 0,01%

premium quality: i, e, a, o, n, r, t, l, s, c, d, p, u, m, g, b, f, v
Medium quality: y, z, h
Low quality: q, x, k
Worst ones: j

•••
xrvel said:
I agree that "U" is a premium, because it can be spelled as "You" too :)
We are talking about acronyms. U = U in acronyms not You.
U = University, Union, United, Unsecure, Unofficial, Unlimited, Unit, Uniform, Utility,
Ultimate, Usage, Universal... Unfortunately Universities are located at .edu domains and Unions are likely to find their place at .org domains. So unfortunately this can't be premium letter.

V is much much better. As I told its Video, Vacancy, Validate, Value, Van, Vehicle, vendor, vice-, via, etc. etc - huge commercial terms (especially Video). Yes, perhaps it's not premium. But among V,W,U,K,J I would choose V.

I decided to change my view at letters value:

Top tier: A, S, C, T
High Premium: M,E,B,P,D,N,I
Low Premium: R,G,O,L,F,H
High Value: V,W
Non-Premium: K,U,J
Bad letters: Y,Z,X,Q

I've analyzed a list of 20k italian words from various source.
Have you analyzed only initial letters of these 20k words or all letters?

Perhaps it will be interesting but in Russian language I would place all letters in this order (quick analysis):

Premium: A,B,V,G,D,K,L,M,N,P,R,S,T
Not premium: F,Z,O,I,E,U
Bad: C,Y,H,J,W,X,Q

Different languages - different premiums :) All LLLL.com sooner or later will find their end users :)

•••
U most definitely is moving up the list. We cannot forget to factor in new trends, new usage of letters and acronyms, etc.

•••
ergo said:
Have you analyzed only initial letters of these 20k words or all letters?

All letters

ergo said:
Different languages - different premiums All LLLL.com sooner or later will find their end users

Yes, I think so too. Would be nice to analyze the quality of letters in all language :)

•••
Top tier: A,C,S
High Premium: I,M,T,E,P,D
Low Premium: N,B,L,R,O,H,F,G
Non-Premium: U,W,K,V,Y,J
Lowest Tier: Z,X,Q

I have also ranked letters from left to right where I consider the left side to be the better letter.

M is often underated. I'd consider I & M to be possible competitors for the position of 4th best letter.

H is possibly underated. It is often considered to be the worst premium letter However, I think F and G are possibly worse.

Not sure about P. I've only recently seen some stats to support that P is not in the low premium category.

I'm tending to think that U and W are the best non-premium letters.

A,C and S are the best!
Z,X and Q are the worst!

•••
DomainMayhem.com said:
U most definitely is moving up the list. We cannot forget to factor in new trends, new usage of letters and acronyms, etc.
Reminds me, I came across a gas truck with a http://www.weou.co.uk/ banner on it today.

•••
jido said:
Reminds me, I came across a gas truck with a http://www.weou.co.uk/ banner on it today.
Do you think that is a comment on gas prices?
weou = We Owe You???

If not that is one for the "what were they thinking" list.

•••
nullmind said:
All letters

Yes, I think so too. Would be nice to analyze the quality of letters in all language :)

Hi Antonio , is not this what you want?

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=914452

It was in my opening message.

Thanks to all new voters, hopefully we get more so the Poll will have some statistical value. :)

•••
•••
accentnepal said:
Do you think that is a comment on gas prices?
weou = We Owe You???

If not that is one for the "what were they thinking" list.
Their tag line is "We owe you for choosing Texaco", and it is their loyalty scheme web site.

•••
I still don't think that U should be considered premium (even though I'd stand to gain from higher worth domains).

It's the least commonly used vowels, and we can't really say that *all* vowels are premium (IMHO) - considering that vowel are used to make up nearly all words.

Whilst I am a fan of the 3Character site, I think that there should be different tiers of premium letters :)

•••
IMO, the guy that made the 3character site relized that most of the people buying and selling these names were americans or people that speak english. If you look at who is buying the most domains in the world America is well ahead of and coutry out there by ALOT. So in my opinion the 3character site "premium letters" are pretty much right on considering the market these names are going to. Dont get me wrong i think that the premium letters should be adjusted considering the market that the names are geared toward. For instants you got some "horrible" lll.com like "XUZY(.)com" (i dont own this) you would prolly try and sell to the chinese since earlier stated in this thread that "x" maybe a premium letter in china. All im saying is that there really cant be a "set" of premium letters go by. They are going to change depending on who is buying them and what they are going to do with that name. :imho:

•••
This is still open guys. :)

•••
Good info there. I have always considered U a premium. The only thing I disagree on is that I don't consider W a premium. Although provided by your charts, I never knew just how "premium" it was. Thanks for sharing :)

•••
Neither U nor W are premium letters and will never be. And prices for LLLL.coms confirm this. They are semi-premium.

•••
Ergo said:
Neither U nor W are premium letters and will never be. And prices for LLLL.coms confirm this. They are semi-premium.

How can you say "and will never be"

Can you also tell me the next lotto numbers? :'(

Prices have decided by demands and by an incorrect (in my opinion) 3 chars guide.

Imagine if I go buying all names with U and W , you tell me, what would happen?

Plus, with new emerging Countries , different languages and cultures coming on the net , any old guide is changing constantly. Even the beautiful ancient Roman Empire dissolved , can`t letters be used in different ways?

•••
W is actually very close to premium with triple premium + W LLLL.coms not differing all that much from quad premium LLLL.coms with multiple "bad premiums" such as F and H.

•••
Reece said:
W is actually very close to premium with triple premium + W LLLL.coms not differing all that much from quad premium LLLL.coms with multiple "bad premiums" such as F and H.

now F is bad too ? D-:

Finance
Forex
Faboulous
France
Finland
Federation
Federal

??????

•••
Yeah, F is a lesser premium (still premium though).

If you look up LLL.com sales, those with F's and H's fair noticeably worse than LLL.coms with alot of other letters -- most notably the super-premiums A,C,S.

italiandragon said:
now F is bad too ? D-:

Finance
Forex
Faboulous
France
Finland
Federation
Federal

??????

It certainly does have good acronyms though... Maybe another example of domainers picking favorites :)

•••
Reece said:
Yeah, F is a lesser premium (still premium though).

If you look up LLL.com sales, those with F's and H's fair noticeably worse than LLL.coms with alot of other letters -- most notably the super-premiums A,C,S.

It certainly does have good acronyms though... Maybe another example of domainers picking favorites :)

I`m really surprised by how that 3 chars price guide has been created and basically all domainers followed it like sheeps for years.

U is the starting letter of this Country where most of them come from .....yet they do not like it?

•••
Average and median price for LLLL.com starts with letter:

A 2532 - 126 ( 211 num. of sales )
B 47966 - 80 ( 202 )
C 6408 - 261 ( 122 )
D 2173 - 55,255 ( 170 )
E 762 - 132,5 ( 160 )
F 16922 - 57,5 ( 154 )
G 4271 - 67 ( 145 )
H 2051 - 67 ( 149 )
I 1081 - 52 ( 191 )
J 8145 - 40 ( 129 )
K 2770 - 51 ( 102 )
L 4679 - 52 ( 162 )
M 2205 - 116 ( 129 )
N 1233 - 60 ( 155 )
O 366 - 43 ( 207 )
P 2284 - 70 ( 159 )
Q 143 - 24,5 ( 142 )
R 6600 - 60 ( 162 )
S 28081 - 165 ( 137 )
T 5074 - 76 ( 143 )
U 481 - 48,88 ( 175 )
V 1345 - 30 ( 220 )
W 35853 - 59 ( 103 )
X 3173 - 33 ( 123 )
Y 341 - 35 ( 152 )
Z 615 - 39,5 ( 122 )

*value are in $

All data have been taken from http://www.tdvr.com

ps. as always rep is appreciated :xf.love:

Last edited:
•••
nullmind said:
Average price for LLLL.com starts with letter:

A 2532
B 47966
C 6408
D 2173
E 762
F 16922
G 4271
H 2051
I 1081
J 8145
K 2770
L 4679
M 2205
N 1233
O 366
P 2284
Q 143
R 6600
S 28081
T 5074
U 481
V 1345
W 35853
Y 341
Z 615

*value are in $

All data have been taken from http://www.tdvr.com

ps. as always rep is appreciated :xf.love:

So we all buy LLLL.com that start with "B" and "W" because WINE.com and BEER.com push up the average. Maybe you should use the logarithms or alternatively look at the median when calculating averages to reduce the bias caused by the high priced sales.

It would also be good to know the numbers of sales starting with each letter.

•••
VURG said:
So we all buy LLLL.com that start with "B" and "W" because WINE.com and BEER.com push up the average. Maybe you should use the logarithms or alternatively look at the median when calculating averages to reduce the bias caused by the high priced sales.

It would also be good to know the numbers of sales starting with each letter.

Hi Vurg,
median and number of sales added :)

•••
It seems that no one likes J, but J stands for Jobs, Journal, Jokes, Japan, Java,jewelry....

To me, jewelry and jobs alone place J out of low premium. I place J in the middle of the field.

•••
Not enough votes, come NPers!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back