IT.COM

advice No one wants to buy resell domains!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm not talking about 2-3k+ domains. I'm simply talking about $20-$40 domains.

No one will buy my domains. They are all product related. Examples include AsianTuna.com, NoveltyGifts.net, TorqueDrivers.com and HockeyGoods.com and many more if you look in the fixed domain sales section.

Look, I'm just trying to make a quick buck so I can buy more domains. This is most unfair. It's been days listed now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know about your domains but there have been a decrease in sales since 2020

Last edited:
•••
Thank you. I don't know what to do... I need the money bad.

•••
Improve the quality of you portfolio. Well priced good domains sell consistently

•••
You should really drop the idea that you can hand-reg almost any name and sell it 2 days later for a double price. That does not work and never will in domaining (would be awesome, though!)

It will take waaay more time and effort to find such names. And when you do, you'll be like - ''fcuk, I spent hours and days to find this name - to sell it for $20??? No way!!''

Names of the quality you have (and some are much better, honestly) are easily available everyday on ''Deleted'' section of ExpiredDomains for $10 and everyone here knows it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, man. I've been saying it many times here - domaining is not an every day business but rather investing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well thanks for your suggestions, but these were all backordered domains. Not $10 registrations. I have a software program that takes dropping domains and sorts them according to a dictionary file.

•••
Well thanks for your suggestions, but these were all backordered domains. Not $10 registrations. I have a software program that takes dropping domains and sorts them according to a dictionary file.

And you think many of us don't have it?

•••
The problem is mostly utter crap drops unless you have big $ to spend and that isn't even everyday.

•••
"It's been days listing" Your words, Blimey you want to see some of my domains that took over 20 years to find a buyer. Yep, and my thoughts, this is so unfair, Why have these businesses NOT been invented or launched yet, they are so suitable for the internet economy. Most have since sold. Now if you look today there are multiple suitors to each domain. So patience was my key.

Now in your case, your domains (those shown) are to be blunt, are just second rate. I'm not sure what metrics your using but they seem to be based around 'existing' business types choosing second-rate names for their internet presence.

As mentioned above, It's never going to work. Domainers (everybody here) won't want them - they'll do far better using their own search criteria, Businesses want domains (and prepared to pay) only at the TOP of the word game.

I'm sorry to say but, you've hit the domaining-nail as to why so many fail at this game. It's basically a total misunderstanding of What Businesses Want. and then mistakenly think, Anything close (extension or wording) will do, when it won't

Last edited:
•••
Well if better domains would drop, I'd try to get then. These are the best I can do on a budget.

•••
Improve the quality of you portfolio. Well priced good domains sell consistently
Good strategy, but I would not be too sure even about that.. What is a well priced domain, different customers have different point of view and budget. Yet a domainer must hit an annual target if he wants to maintain and develop his domaining business. Unless it's a side hustle. Many parameters really. I would guess the most important factor is.. patience, provided you don't hold pigeon shit names or brandables that are impossible to be found unless in a brandable marketplace.
Lastly, if you did not have any decent sales within 3 years, try something new.

Last edited:
•••
Look, I'm just trying to make a quick buck so I can buy more domains.
Hi

discard that mentality and you might make a sale, in the future.

imo...

•••
I think we all want to make a quick buck, but you can't go on thinking this way. We all want it, but at the same time we know that it's not likely to happen. I was fortunate enough to sell a few hand-registered domains for low xxx within few months after getting them, but this is not guaranteed.

•••
It's simply supply and demand.

Brad

•••
your names are not bad, please be a little more patient and get them a landing page with a low buy now price.

Last edited:
•••
You should really drop the idea that you can hand-reg almost any name and sell it 2 days later for a double price. That does not work and never will in domaining (would be awesome, though!)

It will take waaay more time and effort to find such names. And when you do, you'll be like - ''fcuk, I spent hours and days to find this name - to sell it for $20??? No way!!''

Names of the quality you have (and some are much better, honestly) are easily available everyday on ''Deleted'' section of ExpiredDomains for $10 and everyone here knows it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, man. I've been saying it many times here - domaining is not an every day business but rather investing.

Good luck!
I've been giving this some thought. 8-9% ROI on a 401K is considered good and to a degree expected. 5% and above on a bank CD is phenomenal.

I've honestly looked at the random sub $50 sales on Afternic and GoDaddy. That's a potential 100% ROI on a hand registered (1st year) domain sale (depending on your registrar) (minus the +/- 20% commission). Personally I'm not about to register a bunch of random numbers hoping that it's a street address in another country or state.

If any investor is getting 100% ROI, I respect that business model.

I don't have enough skin in the game to know what is a reasonable ROI in domaining. Will I accept $40 for a $10 registration fee- Absolutely.

•••
I've been giving this some thought. 8-9% ROI on a 401K is considered good and to a degree expected. 5% and above on a bank CD is phenomenal.

I've honestly looked at the random sub $50 sales on Afternic and GoDaddy. That's a potential 100% ROI on a hand registered (1st year) domain sale (depending on your registrar) (minus the +/- 20% commission). Personally I'm not about to register a bunch of random numbers hoping that it's a street address in another country or state.

If any investor is getting 100% ROI, I respect that business model.

I don't have enough skin in the game to know what is a reasonable ROI in domaining. Will I accept $40 for a $10 registration fee- Absolutely.
There is no ''average ROI'' in domaining that can be realistically calculated across the industry. You can calculate an ROI on one domain name because you know buying price, sale price and a holding time. But how are you gonna calculate ROI on a huge number of portfolios that consist of extremely different names, different methods and tactics, financial situations, experiences, holding times etc?

It is investing as I said before, but it's not the type of investing where you know the interest rate or can calculate ROI because the average on a market is known for a long time (like if you buy and rent a garage or something). It's more like an ''art dealer'' type of investing.

Now, what is known is an average sell-thru rate and it's 1%. 2% (for a lower xxxx) if you are good (mainly your domain names). So, if you have 100 names, sell them for $40. You'll make $40. But spend $1000 in renewals. Not a very good ROI, huh? )

And I know you're gonna say - well, if I put the price down from $2000 to $40, then I may sell 50% of my stock...! Nope, doesn't work like this. Many people here tried to play with prices, and it's still nothing - the same 1-2%.

Matter of fact I think it's pretty bad strategy, trying to sell $40, because you go right between both target groups - too cheap for end users, and too expensive for resellers (and names probably quite mediocre for both).

Not to be Captain Obvious here, but what matters is a quality, quality and quality of names ))

Last edited:
•••
It's more like an ''art dealer'' type of investing.
I can see that point, however it's works against everyone's best interest because art is subjective and speculative. That seems to frame the domaining market. However domains are crafted for SEO, online identity, and business (with non-commerce exceptions). Art is envisioned to generate personal interpretation through public showing.

So, if you have 100 names, sell them for $40. You'll make $40. But spend $1000 in renewals. Not a very good ROI, huh? )
I was basing my $40 on selling before the renewals.
You can calculate an ROI on one domain name because you know buying price, sale price and a holding time.
This is the main point I'm getting at. Selling individual domain names rather than letting them drop.
And I know you're gonna say - well, if I put the price down from $2000 to $40, then I may sell 50% of my stock...! Nope, doesn't work like this. Many people here tried to play with prices, and it's still nothing - the same 1-2%.

Matter of fact I think it's pretty bad strategy, trying to sell $40, because you go right between both target groups - too cheap for end users, and too expensive for resellers (and names probably quite mediocre for both).
I think this is where user experience varies. I'm not arguing against the 1-2% sell through rate. I'm realistically proactive. Meaning I'll accept a sale less than my expectations.
Not to be Captain Obvious here, but what matters is a quality, quality and quality of names ))

I looked 7 pages of Squadhelp single word domain names. There is a high quantity of quality names - all unsold. What does this mean? I honestly don't know.

•••
I was basing my $40 on selling before the renewals.
It doesn't matter. If you have 100 names you already paid $1000 at a register. With renewals it will be $2000. And you sold for $40 only. That will bring you to the only possible conclusion - I need to drop them and look for better ones! (or renew some, and still look for better ones!).

I looked 7 pages of Squadhelp single word domain names. There is a high quantity of quality names - all unsold. What does this mean? I honestly don't know.
Supply and demand, that's it. It's the supply part. Didn't you see expensive houses or cars out there on the market? Same thing. Just didn't meet their buyers, also possible that prices are too high - just like with any other market in the world.

Rather than trying to find a model that wins (at least for now) I'd really concentrate on getting good names - to play with hand regs, watch ExpiredDomins.com, and get into new trends.
Once you understand that it's not very easy to find a name that you'll sell here for $40, you'll change your mind automatically ))

•••
Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Don't focus on this forum alone!!!
Don't be undercapitalized "newbie"/or addicted https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-am-an-addict.1297969/

Study and grow /or simple drop and move forward :xf.wink:
Fish doesn't randomly jump in the boat by themselves anymore.
You may read this, as well
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ea...2023-random-thoughts-domain-sales-etc.1310641

No one will buy my domains. This is most unfair.
1)study few month/or years
2)it's a business. it's risk you should be ready to loss
3) it is not right to build a business that depends only on future income, always be prepared that something will not go as you planned before

so on

p.s.
"No one wants to buy resell domains!" all depend on name and price in most cases, sometimes emotions :ROFL:
As for me, there are some penny sales🪙👛:$: here as well, check:
https://www.namepros.com/whats-new/feedback/4129878/

Last edited:
•••
You need to know what are commercial intend or brandable. Also check history of sales related to your names.

Catching every possible dropping domains is not a good idea.

•••
No one will buy my domains. They are all product related. Examples include AsianTuna.com, NoveltyGifts.net, TorqueDrivers.com and HockeyGoods.com and many more
Why would anyone want to buy these domains? They are neither good keywords nor brandable. If anyone wants something like this, they can easily hand reg many similar ones. So, drop them and invest in something of a better quality

Last edited:
•••
Why would anyone want to buy these domains? They are neither good keywords nor brandable. If anyone wants something like this, they can easily hand reg many similar ones. So, drop them and invest in something of a better quality
Easier said than done. If I could afford better names I would definitely get them. Not everyone has deep pockets!

•••
The best thing is not to quit your day job. Make money at a regular job and use that to invest in better domains. Just try and avoid hand-regs IMO. Find some good aged gems and stuff. Also, namepros is a great place to sell if the domains are .com and slightly better quality. asiantuna is a limited market so is hockeygoods so be careful each time before spending $9+ to register .coms.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back