NameSilo

.tv No more .Tv forum on the main forum index...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Wow! I am suprised... The .Tv forum is now in the CCTLD section! Its no longer on the main forum index.

Apparently NP is distancing itself from .Tv

:wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So i am not going crazy .........couldn't find it at first ?

•••
•••
Makes sense if you think about it, .tv is under cctlds both for discussion and sales, sections remains intact, which is a good thing.

Ditto for .mobi/.info - only they move under domain name discussion.

:)

•••
Stupid move IMHO! New owners, new ideas I guess.

•••
It's not a stupid move. It's not anti-tv. It's just an attempt to re-organize and last time I checked .tv is a ccTLD. Keeping discussion/marketplace together makes sense.

It's not like this section has been rampant with activity lately. There's no conspiracy. Who knows, maybe people that are looking for .co, .us, etc will slip in here to entertain us.

I'd rather it be a subforum but I'm sure I'll cope with the changes.

•••
•••
Maybe its to give us something to talk about lol

•••
It's not a stupid move. It's not anti-tv. It's just an attempt to re-organize and last time I checked .tv is a ccTLD. Keeping discussion/marketplace together makes sense.

It's not like this section has been rampant with activity lately. There's no conspiracy. Who knows, maybe people that are looking for .co, .us, etc will slip in here to entertain us.

In your humble opinion ofcourse...

---------- Post added at 04:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

The site never loads properly for me anyway.. It always seems to be in "safe mode".

•••
In your humble opinion ofcourse...

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had to end all my thoughts the same way you did.

Let me try again.

It's not a stupid move. IMHO. It's not anti-tv. IMHO. It's just an attempt to re-organize IMHO and last time I checked .tv is a ccTLD FACT. Keeping discussion/marketplace together makes sense IMHO.

It's not like this section has been rampant with activity lately FACT. There's no conspiracy IMHO. Who knows, maybe people that are looking for .co, .us, etc will slip in here to entertain us.

I think this is clearer now IMHO

•••
Maybe its to give us something to talk about lol

Then nexrt week, they will move it back to keep the discussion going !

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had to end all my thoughts the same way you did.

Let me try again.

It's not a stupid move. IMHO. It's not anti-tv. IMHO. It's just an attempt to re-organize IMHO and last time I checked .tv is a ccTLD FACT. Keeping discussion/marketplace together makes sense IMHO.

It's not like this section has been rampant with activity lately FACT. There's no conspiracy IMHO. Who knows, maybe people that are looking for .co, .us, etc will slip in here to entertain us.

I think this is clearer now IMHO

On more time for luck please

•••
Wow! I am suprised... The .Tv forum is now in the CCTLD section! Its no longer on the main forum index.

Apparently NP is distancing itself from .Tv

:wave:

...as long as it was a cold item lo these many years, it was safe to allow it its own dignity.

Now that 4 and 5 figure sales are becoming more commonplace and increasing in popularity, it is threatening the .commies and action just had to be taken. You know...like sedo.

Jolly good reaction, if I do say so myself.

•••
On more time for luck please

It's not a stupid move. :imho:. It's not anti-tv. :imho:. It's just an attempt to re-organize :imho: and last time I checked .tv is a ccTLD :bingo:. Keeping discussion/marketplace together makes sense :imho:

It's not like this section has been rampant with activity lately :bingo:. There's no conspiracy :imho:. Who knows, maybe people that are looking for .co, .us, etc will slip in here to entertain us.

It is STILL a subforum so I'm sure I'll cope with the changes.:bingo: <-----CORRECTION

If there is activity in the subforum and it brings traffic to NP then the threads/discussion will be positioned to benefit from that :imho:

•••
...of course it is anti-tv. With the amount of bigger sales the timing could not be better. Just have to take an alternate route to gather data on the extension, that's all.

But, as the old saying goes, one monkey don't stop no show, so I'll just keep on leafing thru the pages until I arrive at the destination.

Doesn't matter about the .tv maketplace, either...

as far as ccTLD goes,

"...We also treat some vanity ccTLDs (such as .tv, .me, etc.) as gTLDs, as we've found that users and webmasters frequently see these as being more generic than country-targeted (we don't have a complete list of such vanity ccTLDs that we treat as gTLDs, because such a list would change over time)."

So google has enough intelligence to see .tv as a gTLD but Namepros now chooses to neglect that factoid.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182192

Whatever...

•••
So google has enough intelligence to see .tv as a gTLD but Namepros now chooses to neglect that factoid.

If I call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?

•••
If I call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?

...false analogy, considering the nature of extensions and google's role in placing them in the heirarchy of the Internet...

I'll stand by my post...

•••
… Apparently NP is distancing itself from .Tv …
If anything NP bends over backwards by giving dot tv, info & mobi dedicated forums/subforums. No other TLD enjoys similar affirmative action.

... Now that 4 and 5 figure sales are becoming more commonplace and increasing in popularity, it is threatening the .commies and action just had to be taken…
The number of dot tv names on DNJ top 100 sales list jumped from zero in 2011 to one in 2012. Cue the crickets.

...So google has enough intelligence to see .tv as a gTLD but Namepros now chooses to neglect that factoid…
IANA manages the root zone database, not Google. IANA designates dot tv as a country code and NP follows IANA protocol.

•••
If anything NP bends over backwards by giving dot tv, info & mobi dedicated forums/subforums. No other TLD enjoys similar affirmative action.

The number of dot tv names on DNJ top 100 sales list jumped from zero in 2011 to one in 2012. Cue the crickets.

IANA manages the root zone database, not Google. IANA designates dot tv as a country code and NP follows IANA protocol.

1)
...thanks for your input.ecalc, and I do agree that NP does not distance itself from the extension. Unfortunately, it also knows a nice outta the way corner to sequester it in. But I stated before that I'll just keep digging and find it regardless.

2)
I no care. I do not concern myself with the top 100. Fact remains it is a banner year for the extension and it appears to be NO coincidence that this transformation of burying the forum coincides with it.

3)
As good an excuse as any, I guess. OK, I'll take that with a nod and a wink. Just looks like politics as usual...

•••

LOL!

Last time I checked this was a forum for domain names. Its common sense to have discussion for .tv .info .mobi or any other extension.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions.

•••
Don't know if it's good or bad, but Domain Name Discussion Forums a sort of empty for me without .TV subforum.
I liked when .TV had a special status here at NP, while other forums didn't do it.
Like Richard said - probably it's the end of an era.

Last edited:
•••
The .tv ccTLD issue cuts both ways.

Most .tv domainers here hid behind ccTLD coat tails to keep the market focus on .tv, keeping tv.com, and the broader TV domain discussion, out.

Coming to NP today, I see tv(.coms) in the main discussion, listed as the 15th most popular type of .com domain, and .tv relegated to the ccTLD basement.

Be careful what you wish for, as fate is rarely without irony.

On the other hand, IANA manages the root zone database, much as a country manages its root zone citizen database.

However, if a citizen, or company, moves abroad, and legally manages its operations from abroad, for a given number of years, they earn dual citizenship.

.TV is Tuvaluan in name alone. Its like the immigrant, now citizen, who sends money back home. .TV pays U.S. taxes, just like .com, and deserves to be treated like a citizen.

The fact is, a "root" can take (legal) "root" in another country (code). If anybody should recognize this its professional domainers.

•••
What about a NDA section ?

:]

•••
OMG, OMG so .tv gets it's own subforum but .co and .me aren't good enough???? they're just regulated to a thread in the CCTLD section.

On a serious note. Should it be a subforum (like .tv) for each CCTLD or one long thread for each one (.me .co etc)

Maybe have a poll and see which one members prefer.

Last edited:
•••
Well the .tv section is not going away, just moved a bit.
There's even a subsection 'Dot TV Appraisals/Industry News' and NP is anti-.tv ? :laugh:

The .us subforum was shut down because it had become a 'ghost town'.
Yet we still have a .mobi section :)

•••
Well since I was the person that created this place, I guess I will weigh in.

A long time ago and in Internet years a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago, there was no discussion of an extension that I thought provided opportunity if you could get the right names for the right price.

I started a thread that got a lot of interest, people came to Namepros for information on .tv, nowhere else had the breadth of knowledge or number of topics discussed.

I approached RJ and said there are no extension specific sub forums, let's start one. He said ok. I said I want certain rules that are unique to the rest of Namepros. He said ok.

The sub forum became one of the more popular areas on Namepros and the sub forum grew. It was actually RJ who suggested the separate .tv marketplace.

This subforum was initially started for six guys:
Argos
JohnTV
WestBlock
Collieri
Amcy.org
AuntyStatic

Many people came into the extension and have done well, members such as
Ssnchay Kumar SKG
Richard Kligman RPK
Dottie
Australia
Heroes
George Pickering Local Experts
Mr Rhee
Millers Crossing (James Barclay) RIP
Ronnie McKenna
Bob
RL
Domain Acrobat
Jeff Overman
MindWrecker
Idevelop
Ammudamus
DiscoverNow
Eyedomainous
Freedom 30
TheDotStop

and many many more

Some of the above members have sold over six figures in .tv. The sub forum broke the news on the Golden Era Discounts and many got names for 70 % off premium pricing, We had Quinn Daly on here when Demand Media was promoting .tv.

But like with many things online people move,Allthings.tv as a fully dedicated forum to .tv has surpassed Namepros/dottv and many have left for many reasons.

I don't see Namepros as Namepros anymore, Namepros was RJ and DB and Mark and Iamallanshore and Gorilla and Jennifer. This is NewPROS and its fine but its different management and its not the vision RJ and I had for this place and that's ok. The posts are still here, no one is anti-tv its just seven years later and time for a fresh change.

Thank you to RJ for creating this little forum for the extension that sucked.

Thank you JohnTV,Argos,RPK,Ronnie,Bob,George,Claude,Jeff Overman and many more for posting,debating and supporting, you are some of the best people in the domaining world.
Thank you Matt for keeping my project untouched for so long and best of luck to all of Namepros as it is with a little realignment.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back