NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Moving on from the 3D, Cloud , NFC, Marijuana etc....trends, what do people think will be the next big money maker for the domainer?

I have a few Big Data domains but I like my hand in several dishes so if anyone would like to share their thoughts I'm sure a lot of domainers would appreciate any insights to what's gonna be hot or not.

Cheers

Stu

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've already sold my drone names and a few others in the trends mentioned. I think there are three ways of looking at trends: 1. the trends you know are going to happen, like all-in-one TV/music/ computers and 2. the fringe items that are going to happen but not sure when or how, like nano technology in disease control, medical break-throughs, like stem cell therapy and 3. the stuff that catches people by surprise. like a sudden social trend or fad or type of music.

For example, in political economics, I figure it won't be long until public education changes to private funding. After all, daycare charges, and prep-school charges, college charges, so why not high school and elementary school. Then there will be all of the hoopla that goes with money and status (or lack thereof). not sure of the money-making potential, but I bought a few domains with ideas in mind.

The way I see it, if you can see ahead a little better than others, it's not difficult to pick up 5-10 domains that will include one that sells for $500 to $1000 (or 3-4 @ $200-$300 apiece). I'll gladly spend $50-$100 to make $500 to $1000 in a few months. Has worked so far.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
i agree with @ipodxpert

its Google glass, iWatch from Apple and may be once again Hybrid cars, 5D TVs, Ayurveda and stuff!

•••
•••
:talk:

the next trend....

.info

or should i say, the "re-promo" of a tld that at one time, was free to register.

:)

the marketing games perpetrated thru domain world are awesome to witness.

•••
Since I love flying toys, that why I got drones domains

onlinedrone(s) dot com and already have offers and sold a couple via affiliate sites.

also have dronesupplier(s)

pretty soon, I am gonna use my drones flying over my medicalmarijuanagarden.com :bah:

I hand reg all my domains using 99cent codes and already making lots of money.
**if you want to be successful in this BS domain crap, you must have FUN doing it, no stress ***

Last edited:
•••
•••
My blog post today is kind of a funny twist on this whole subject. I hand reg'd a domain in 2000 for a thing I was doing, I haven't done much with it over the years but I have kept it because I will someday, lol.

It was just a brandable domain I thought up, not generic, but I liked it. Anyway now I see the term is being used by a few folks, one looks like a pretty big company.

•••
...seeing as the shift is from "trends" all of a sudden to "fads", I notice that 3d, clouds, big data are mentioned, while Industrial Hemp, medical marijuana and legal adult use of cannabis are quite noisy in their silence.

Good. Keep it that way.

As I have been reading about marketing strategies, an article by Stephen J. Hoch and John Deighton regarding Managing What Consumers Learn From Experience proffers the competitive status of the target brand as a "top-dog" or an "underdog" in which they postulate that "underdogs" gain by facilitating learning whereas "top-dogs"benefit by impeding learning.

Can one make any sense of this?

Just saying...

•••
Hey do you guys think 3dclouddronepothead.info is a good domain?

:lol:

•••
I think both flatland and future trend are both great. I don't think domainers should close their eyes to either.

I mean let's face it... someone is going to hit it big on a future trend domain, and that makes it exciting.

Future trends come in many faces, I picked up a domain NewLiberals.com the other week.. Now, is that a future trend domain - or a flatland domain?

I think it's a possibly good name. As far as I know there is no political group called "the new liberals" - but their could be.

Heck, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be a pop group :)

•••
I put my money on this one

IOTSAFETY.COM

:lol:

•••
Take a look at the old 3D threads that ended up being closed multiple times. Many of the people posting in those threads were people new to domains, registering terrible domains, that had serious attitude problems. Many of those people are not around today.

I am still around :)

My introduction into domaining was through 3D, no fault of my own, lol.

Being a newbie to the scene I watched people selling 3D domains and thought I could do the same and made some really bad buys, these 3 spring to mind ( all in .com ) 3DHorror , 3DConsole, 3DSmartphone , after these failed to sell for the right price I stopped taking advice from those supposedly at the top.

I am still learning and hopefully starting to buy the right domains, It takes a long time to learn the craft of domaining, and if you don't succeed at first doesn't mean all is lost, just keep on listening and learning, we have all been there!

Chow!

Stu

•••
Not all the old 3d domains went to waste, some have actually found new meaning with the emergence of 3d printing like 3dDresses.com , 3dNecklaces.com , and 3dCandles.com just to mention a few that I own, got a $300 offer on 3dCandles.com not too long ago , but I am going to hold on to it for now :)

IMO

•••
Not all the old 3d domains went to waste, some have actually found new meaning with the emergence of 3d printing like 3dDresses.com , 3dNecklaces.com , and 3dCandles.com just to mention a few that I own, got a $300 offer on 3dCandles.com not too long ago , but I am going to hold on to it for now :)

IMO

Like with any domain if someone contacts you regarding your 3D domain a sale can be made, however I found it near impossible reaching out to potential buyers and trying to convince them they need a 3D domain.

•••
Now, I don't normally show my hand, but to be fair, here is my example of a 'predictive domain'.

And, I'll use my first post to one of the "fad-trend" threads you experienced domainers love to dump on for a good laugh -in this case the 'Show me your Cloud ... threadhttp://www.namepros.com/4135959-post80.html

In 2006 I hand reg'd TVCLOUD.com. I sold it, direct-to-buyer, a few months back for $45,000.
6yr old hand reg sells for $45k?
You cant see me right now, but believe me I am drooling B-)

:tu:

•••
TVCloud.com - congrats, that really is gr8 example of future trend domain from when you regged it.

•••
•••
'Future trend' regs need to mature, some longer than others. This reality often gets lost in these threads as 'naysayers' frequently try to impose a 'next years drops' mentality in 'Future Trend' threads.

They seem to think if the name has not sold in a year or two you wasted money.

I remember one of the snarky 'flatland domainer' comment about tvcloud was... "tvdirt.com is available... "

TVCloud.com - congrats, that really is gr8 example of future trend domain from when you regged it.

•••
So yeah...what's the next trend? :zzz:

•••
The same trend we've seen here for years.

burning-money.jpg

For most. But with a little luck and study time...:$:

•••
I would venture to guess that technology will present us with holographic movies commercially before too long. The screen may become obsolete, replaced with a 360 stand. This is seriously being developed, how long, that I dunno.

There's many "trends" that will not be fads, Gotta weigh things as they are talked about by those developing the next commodity.

I totally agree, I still think holo technology will take off, I think it will be huge in the entertainment industry and I think "holo" advertising as well

Last edited:
•••
I totally agree, I still think holo technology will take off, I thhink it will be big in the entertainment industry and I think "holo" advertising as well

But perhaps domains will be a memory by the time this tech takes hold...if it ever does.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back