IT.COM

question Need Advice Are All .COM Single Words minus the last letter like Worth Registering? For example Announce.com instead of Announce.com

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I noticed that ,COM Names using single dictionary words minus the last letter of the word seem to sell on Godaddy like hypothetically Announc.com instead of Announce.com which is minus the e. Is every Single Dictionary Word minus the letter no matter the length worth spending the $12 registration fee & are these domains almost certainly resellable for at least $1,000 on Auction?

Appreciate your advice as I found several, albeit long dictionary words that are available minus the last letter to register;

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You would need to check on The Trade Mark incase of any issues in breaching it.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Is every Single Dictionary Word minus the letterno matter the length worth spending the $12 registration fee & are these domains almost certainly resellable for at least $1,000 on Auction?

Unless you have a time machine, there are very few .com's, if any, available for hand registration that will certainly resell for at least $1,000 at auction, regardless of the pattern.

Or

Season 8 Yes GIF by The Office

Yes Yes Yes GIF

Pizza Yes GIF

Yes Yes Yes GIF by StickerGiant

Last edited:
•••

Cheers
Corey
I'm talking dictionary names I used Hydorxide as an example which is apparently is trademarked. Thank You for pointing this out to me. I'm going to see if I can Re-edit the title and my thread, Let's use the word Announce for example. It is Announc.com minus the last letter So if you found a dictionary word .COM domain that was missing the last letter would you automatically register it for the minimum price? Are these words minus the last letter all likely to make at least $1000 in auction. Thank you for pointing out the unintended error I made for my example

•••

Cheers
Corey
I reedited the title and thread thanks to Corey pointing out something that unintentionally changed the subject

•••
The answer is a resounding NO. There are 0 domains that you can handregister for $10 that can make actual money in an auction, unless you happen to hit the jackpot with a specific future trend early and then later when the trend matures into demand, you already have something valuable and can sell it then. Every dictionary word that has value with one less letter at the end is already registered and most words minus a letter are worthless. Read a few weeks, or more preferably months, about domains before you spend any money buying domains, because it's clear based on your question that you have no idea what you're doing. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
The answer is a resounding NO. There are 0 domains that you can handregister for $10 that can make actual money in an auction, unless you happen to hit the jackpot with a specific future trend early and then later when the trend matures into demand, you already have something valuable and can sell it then. Every dictionary word that has value with one less letter at the end is already registered and most words minus a letter are worthless. Read a few weeks, or more preferably months, about domains before you spend any money buying domains, because it's clear based on your question that you have no idea what you're doing. Good luck.
I guess I'l learn the hard way as I've found Sentenc.com (see sentence) which I think will make me some money

Last edited:
•••
I guess I'l learn the hard way as I've found Sentenc.com (see sentence) which I think will make me some money

Sentence isn’t even a particularly good name so dropping a letter isn’t doing it any favours.

•••
Sentence isn’t even a particularly good name so dropping a letter isn’t doing it any favours.
You're probably right but I'm willing to Gamble for $12.19 registration

•••
I noticed that ,COM Names using single dictionary words minus the last letter of the word seem to sell on Godaddy like

Can you give examples of those (real) names that have been sold lately? I'm aware of chocolat.com, but chocolat is French for chocolate, so it doesn't count here.

•••
You're probably right but I'm willing to Gamble for $12.19 registration

If you spend a little more time learning you wouldn't have to be gambling on names like this and would be getting names that you know will sell at a certain STR :xf.wink:

100 gambles on names like this will generally result in 0 sales.

100 purchases of names likely to sell at 1% results in a successful domain investing business.

•••
Can you give examples of those (real) names that have been sold lately? I'm aware of chocolat.com, but chocolat is French for chocolate, so it doesn't count here.
Here are 2 from a Godaddy Auction still going on

biac.com current bid $1813
tripl.com Current bid $1825

•••

BIAC is a 4L regged in 44 extensions.

Tripl is regged in 46 extenions.

Sentenc is regged in 3 extensions. (One is you, and another is a .es hack on sentences.)

One of these names is not like the others.

•••
Tripl belongs to special cases such as bubbl(e), pebbl(e), candl(e) etc. In contrast to sentenc(e) (e.g.), I know how to pronounce them without the last letter.

•••

Tripl is regged in 46 extenions.

Sentenc is regged in 3 extensions. (One is you, and another is a .es hack on sentences.)

One of these names is not like the others.
He asked for examples and I gave him the first 2 examples I saw on the first page. I am not going to spend hours scrolling Godaddy Auctions for examples. I do not even know what the word regged which I am assuming means registered means in the context of this.

•••
He asked for examples and I gave him the first 2 examples I saw on the first page. I am not going to spend hours scrolling Godaddy Auctions for examples. I do not even know what the word regged which I am assuming means registered means in the context of this.

It means those names are valuable and yours is not.

•••
Tripl belongs to special cases such as bubbl(e), pebbl(e), candl(e) etc. In contrast to sentenc(e) (e.g.), I know how to pronounce them without the last letter.
Sorry if you can't pronounce sentenc . You asked for examples and I gave you examples. I provided exactly what you requested per your wording. End of Story

•••
•••
Sorry if you can't pronounce sentenc . You asked for examples and I gave you examples. I provided exactly what you requested per your wording. End of Story

How is biac even relevant? (what's the last letter omitted?)

Appreciate your advice

Liar :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sentenc.com is worthless and you'll learn it in a year when you drop it unless you'll be foolish enough to renew it. This is one of the domains I was referring to when I said that all valuable words that are missing a letter are taken and the rest are worthless. Maybe you'll make $5 on it, if you manage to find a bigger fool who will buy it from you. Those can exist. But hey, it's your money. Have fun. It's always amusing when a newbie thinks he knows better than people who have been dealing with domains on a daily basis for years.

Last edited:
•••
OK, let me be a little friendlier instead of blasting you, and explain why Sentenc is worthless. Your main goal as an investor is to buy domains that can make sense commercially. A company name, a product name, a service name etc. Would you call your company/product/whatever 'Sentenc'? I wouldn't. The actual word 'Sentence' isn't a commercial or brandable word, Sentenc looks unprofessional, dropping the 'e' at the end of a word isn't used in branding unless the word is strong (please find me an example of a well known company, or even a not well known company, that uses a non-commercial word and drops the 'e' at the end) and I can go on and on.

These kind of domains are usually available for a reason. They were either never registered since the internet was born despite countless people looking for available domains with potential, or registered in the past, but the owners let them expire at least one time, and then they went through a long expiration process where the eyes of hundreds/thousands of domainers looked at them and had the option to buy them. Had these domainers seen value in them they would have bought them before they expired (familiarize yourself with the expiration process and how expired auctions work). It is possible to find domains that have potential and got overlooked, but in order to do that, you need to know how to recognize those domains, to understand what has a real chance to sell, what has a low chance to sell and what doesn't have a chance to sell. You need to track sales, look at keywords and names that are selling and then make smart decisions. Otherwise you're flushing money down the toilet. Recently registered domains tend to do very poorly in auctions (again, unless it's related to an emerging trend). You're welcome to try it.

Anyway... as I said, my recommendation is that you learn first and then buy. You're walking on a very familiar trail. People discover domain investing, fall in love with their own ideas and then flush money down the toilet because they don't have a clue what they're doing. This isn't easy and most people don't profit from it. You could get lucky with a specific domain, crazy things sometimes happen but that's not an investment strategy- it's more like trying to win the lottery. You need to learn how to do it properly if you want to make money. You can start here:

https://www.namepros.com/blog/domain-investing-just-the-basics-part-1.1253041/

Last edited:
•••

Your original question was about domains available for registration.

Blac.com and Tripl.com both have a WHOIS registration year of 2001. (hence the need for a time machine)

Skimming recent dropped domains, these domains are available for hand reg:

Strengt.com
CupCak.com
Decembe.com
TampaBa.com (Not really a one worder, just added because of your Tampa Bay Bucs avatar)
Pheasan.com
Dialysi.com

Since they're recent drops available for hand registration, these domains likely went through a registrar auction without receiving any bids, and not a single backorder was placed to catch any of these domains. Thus, debunking your hypothesized question that all one-word-minus-the-last-letter.com sell for $1,000 at auction, as some don't even sell for renewal fee at Auction.

I don't know what year it is on @Planet9 is, but on planet earth, it's year 2024 and .com's selling for $1,000 at auction aren't available for hand registration like they used to be 30 years ago. Where art thou time machine?

Last edited:
•••
I noticed that ,COM Names using single dictionary words minus the last letter of the word seem to sell on Godaddy
Those are exceptions, usually very short and easy to create a logo for.

Something like announc is terrible for branding purposes. You can't pronounce it as "announce" because then people will think you're using announce.com, and if you call it "announck" people won't know how to spell it.

•••
How is biac even relevant? (what's the last letter omitted?)
Blac.com [has] a WHOIS registration year of 2001. (hence the need for a time machine)

Ooops, I misread the domain as BLAC.com... Biac.com was regged even earlier in 1999.

@Jannes is right, Biac is not a mispelling of any 5-letter english word.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back