NameSilo

.mobi .mobi landrush: Who's in???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We now have one month until the .mobi landrush on September the 26th. I'm thinking that I might try to register a few names. I'm very interested in thoughts on this extension.

Do you think that .mobi has the potential to become more popular than the .biz extension?

GoDaddy has one of the cheapest registration prices but if the .eu landrush was anything to go by then it may be better to go with a smaller company for registering domains. Is that fair to say?

.mobi landrush: Who's in?????

I am not sure.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nRnF said:
... PDA devices will automatically ad the .mobi to any term introduced in a PDA browser
Didn't know this, but that would be very good for .mobi developers. In essence, a keyword search on a PDA or cell phone would default to the keyword.mobi? Interesting.

•••
Only a few days to go.... :o

Hey Carlton, did you pre-order any?

I only went for 3, but I think my odds of getting 1 or 2 of them are good, because they are in a category that got overlooked, and I also checked for TM/Sunrise issues, so these should be fair game when the gate opens. Let's see if the extra money EuroDNS charges makes a difference.

•••
Do .mobi really act as the default for PDA devices AND cell phones?

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
The comment/prediction was that "it will" not that "it does"....with the kind of industry players backing this, I won't be surprised at all if in fact such would be the case in next year or two. BTW, envisioning and betting on a development like this is what's true domain "speculation" (just like the early .com pioneers did in mid-late 90's), otherwise you don't need a domainer to speculate on the fact that certain terms like sex and poker would be valuable in any new tld and go after them.

•••
Binfus said:
..envisioning and betting on a development like this is what's true domain "speculation"...
Long live the dreamers! :)

•••
I think mobi is a good idea that will clear up a lot of confusion about navigating to webpages via phones.

Speaking as a webdesigner, separating the .com which can be designed for desk monitors and the .mobi which can be designed for tiny screens is a great idea.

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
As I stated this I may have to develop it a bit further ;)

OK,
I had the chance to speak 3 of the biger lobbyists arround half a year ago, and the common consence (between the lines) was that it would make sense that PDA device browser act that way to offer the client quicker access to content for mobile devices.
They were talking about that each telcon company will probably develop their own browsers, but all thought about that special default feature "keyword to .mobi"
Pretty reasonable, as .mobi pages are expecially developed for PDA devices.

Interesting was also that some month later Freddy S. (EuroDNS) told exactly the same thing at the BCN domainer meeting (Maybe with other interests, but basically the same).
So something is cooking out there in the lobby.

Bottom line is, .mobi is a well organized relaunch of WAP.
When WAP came up the time was too young, so now comes .mobi

Take it or leave it
No Risk - No Fun
:wave:

•••
Badger said:
Monte Cahn talks at length about the .mobi landrush and how he "doesnt" believe it will be like .EU.

I interviewed him last night for NP

Be ready for download sometime over the weekend I hope... :)

Viewing the reserved list just now it's clear it's about the same, only difference is it's known beforehand all the good stuff is being denied from the public.
That was some list!

•••
nRnF said:
Bottom line is, .mobi is a well organized relaunch of WAP.
When WAP came up the time was too young, so now comes .mobi
It's interesting that you mention WAP.
A few years back there was a lot of hype as with .mobi but the promises turned out to be hollow. There are a number of shortcomings that led to the failure of WAP and still I don't think the telco companies have understood the lesson.

•••
I've also pre-ordered three. Probably not much chance of getting them but, I guess you've got to be in it to win it right ? :td:

I've also thought that perhaps with the big name players involved with this, they may indeed at some point introduce/place a default 'mobi' key sometime in the future on handsets ? Sites guarenteed to give the best browsing experience on small screens. Why wouldn't they ? I think they will be falling over themselves personally to be the first with the best mobile browsing experience yet at the users fingertips.

So, yes am in. :)

•••
-db- said:
... Hey Carlton, did you pre-order any?

I only went for 3, but I think my odds of getting 1 or 2 of them are good
Yeah, just a few. I would like to have one quality .mobi and then really work that one to the best of my ability. I think the mobile handset/cell phone devices are an important future market or subset of the greater internet market. What people are failing to realize is that the big cell phone manufacturers (we're talking gigantic money here!) are finally getting their own unique foray into the world of the internet.

Think historically about Internet Explorer having been packaged with the Windows operating system. Now think .mobi as the portal to the internet with every cell phone sold in the next 5 years. All of the handheld hardware manufacturers and cell phone service companies can divert massive amounts of internet traffic through their portals. Cell phones will come with higher processing power, streaming content, more sophisticated built in software programs and games, better graphic displays, on and on. Millions of users will be accessing the net all day thru these devices and the portals of choice will be .mobi websites. The size advantage and portability aspects, along with national wireless internet, will make these things hugely successful like the ipod craze.

Of course, I could be wrong, :). I'm sure the original registrant of business.com has his/her spouse complaining "You spent $140 !! on business.com! What'd you do that for? What a waste of money!, etc. etc." :hehe:

•••
BUMP! Remember this thread? I am just wondering if those who said they wouldn't....did! :D

•••
Kerrijo said:
BUMP! Remember this thread? I am just wondering if those who said they wouldn't....did! :D

Wow this seemed liked ages ago! No one seemed to notice/care about .mobi at the time:

"count me out"
"I am not in the Boat"
"I don't plan on getting any .mobi"
"Don´t think i will go for any .mobi"
"I don't think I am going to bother with .mobi"
"I wont buy any"
"I'm not in."
"no thanks"

:$: :) :$:

•••
•••
Well .. I may have bought the odd one or two :)

•••
newton said:
Well .. I may have bought the odd one or two :)

Oh, do tell! :snaphappy:

•••
neobodhi said:
Oh, do tell! :snaphappy:

Will let you know when they are developed properly :)

•••
Carlton,

inspiring. Thks.

•••
newton said:
Will let you know when they are developed properly :)

You can pm me, i'm curious, I won't tell and lose face.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back