Domain Empire

.mobi .mobi landrush: Who's in???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We now have one month until the .mobi landrush on September the 26th. I'm thinking that I might try to register a few names. I'm very interested in thoughts on this extension.

Do you think that .mobi has the potential to become more popular than the .biz extension?

GoDaddy has one of the cheapest registration prices but if the .eu landrush was anything to go by then it may be better to go with a smaller company for registering domains. Is that fair to say?

.mobi landrush: Who's in?????

I am not sure.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don´t think i will go for any .mobi

•••
Some of those reserved and "premium" names on that list are rediculous. And they missed a few good ones. :lol:

•••
Kerrijo said:
Some of those reserved and "premium" names on that list are rediculous.

Like this one:

Antiques-Dealers

Double plural with hyphen? What are they thinking? And to top that, antique-dealer, antique-dealers, antiques-dealer, antiquedealers, antiquesdealer, and antiquedealer, and even antiques (all better names) are not on the premium or reserved list. This almost sounds like the owner of antiques-dealers.com must have had some influence to assure his domain doesn't get taken in .mobi by way of knowing an insider.

•••
sounds like a 3 ring circus to me.. count me out..

•••
think said:
I Looking forward to reading the interview.

The mobi scene has been very quiet on the domain front.

hearing it.... ;)

•••
•••
WizKid101 said:
Does anyone else think it's totally bogus that GoDaddy is actually billing for pre-registration? If they don't snag my domain they refund the money, but why not just wait to charge me if I actually get it? I'd already submitted to GoDaddy when I realized there was an alternative... Won't make that mistake again.
This was common practice (for many registrars) in the .us and .biz pre-registration. At least you get the money back from GoDaddy if unsuccessful. I was disappointed to read that Moniker keep the pre-registration funds, even if unsuccessful in registering the name for you, but the funds get diverted (spent) in your Moniker account.

•••
I think im gonig to go for some .mobi's if they are available thats another matter

•••
I just typed in a bunch of pretty good names for .mobi. About 40% of them are still pretty much unclaimed.

•••
They won't be unclaimed when the landrush opens. If you put in an order anytime in the past several months the name still appears available though there is (are) pending order(s) for it. Supposedly first come-first served, but I'm not sure how registrar A can get priority over registrar B if they both have an order.

•••
It wouldn't surprise me if the phone giants made a deal with Google to place .mobi search results up front before other gTLDs results.

Not only does this open up another marketing revenue for Google (Adwords, Adsense), but also assures the phone companies and their directories an extra advertising income.

The mobile phone companies themselves could even create a buying frenzy of .mobi domains if they rallied together.

•••
marke2006 said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the phone giants made a deal with Google to place .mobi search results up front before other gTLDs results.
That may have serious anti-trust implications. An enterprising lawyer or law firm can simply wait for the plaintiff class and the associated big damages to mushroom.

Do the public (and jurors) love big phone companies?

sanlands said:
I just typed in a bunch of pretty good names for .mobi. About 40% of them are still pretty much unclaimed.
Problem is: (Correct me if I'm wrong) The lists of premium and reserved .MOBI names do not appear to be final yet, and therefore might well include some of these juicy, "overlooked" domains, retroactively.

Then there is the potential risk of front-running by either an unscrupulous registrar or a third-party front company acting in collusion. Strange things have happened in the domain registration business.

•••
I don't think I am going to bother with .mobi. I much prefer the dot com's.

•••
I wont buy any... I think the real value remains in the old main TLD's

•••
.mobi - strange enom pre-reg rule

And some registrars will accept applications with non-refundable fees, when someone with a sunrise trademark already has been awarded the domain.

And regarding your other point, anyone using Enom to pre-register a mobi domain should be aware of this little gem in their terms and conditions:

"You should be aware that we will also be attempting to obtain domain names in the .MOBI queue, that we will not inform you in advance which domains names we are attempting to obtain, and that if we obtain such a domain name, that we will award the domain name to ourselves and not to you."

NP41215 said:
Problem is: (Correct me if I'm wrong) The lists of premium and reserved .MOBI names do not appear to be final yet, and therefore might well include some of these juicy, "overlooked" domains, retroactively.

Then there is the potential risk of front-running by either an unscrupulous registrar or a third-party front company acting in collusion. Strange things have happened in the domain registration business.

•••
/me remember the last landrush, with .eu

Still a fistfull of domains being hand regged whilst people "pre-ordered" them with various registers.....

Matt

•••
Matt said:
/me remember the last landrush, with .euMatt
That was a land mess :red:
... think this was a lessons learned
.mobi seems pretty organized for now :music:

PS:
I got several gerneric and MOBI life related premium snipes spread out there since month :gn:
IMO not anyname will work in .mobi after all "get mobile"
... see you after rush...

•••
After reading that I'm furious.. I pre-registerd 10 .mobi's with eNom

coolred said:
And some registrars will accept applications with non-refundable fees, when someone with a sunrise trademark already has been awarded the domain.

And regarding your other point, anyone using Enom to pre-register a mobi domain should be aware of this little gem in their terms and conditions:

"You should be aware that we will also be attempting to obtain domain names in the .MOBI queue, that we will not inform you in advance which domains names we are attempting to obtain, and that if we obtain such a domain name, that we will award the domain name to ourselves and not to you."

•••
4 days to go.

I'm not in.

•••
•••
MILLERSCROSSING said:
If i were to go to google.com on my cell phone - it would only give me .mobi addresses??
That would make registering a .mobi worthwhile, but I don't think it will go down like that.

•••
Until now, I did not know that Big G is also one of the backers/investors in .mobi ....

Our investors include Ericsson, Google, GSM Association, Hutchison, Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, T-Mobile, Telefónica Móviles, TIM and Vodafone.
http://pc.mtld.mobi/mobilenet/aboutus.html

This does make it (.mobi) look quite interesting.

•••
umm...

we make the mobile device as useful as a PC for browsing and data services, but far more portable.
from the website..

my question is ...er....HOW? :-/

•••
uber said:
from the website..

my question is ...er....HOW? :-/
1) By actual registrar regulation terms.
.mobi domains must have mobile device layout (Otherwise you may loose the domain)
2) By default PDA software
PDA devices will automatically ad the .mobi to any term introduced in a PDA browser (Simillar to what RealNames did to common urls).
Maybe eaven if introduced xxx.com by the user, PDA may look for the .mobi by default.

IMO
This gives a great oportunaty to .mobi PPC page providers, as the pages will not be easy identified as PPC by any user.

PS:
Some days more, and we know the winners in the .mobi name game ;)
About 1-2 years to go, and those winners may be the .mobi PPC kings ;)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back