IT.COM

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So what kind of TM issues with this name?

edit: got zuneit.com

•••
•••
•••
Proof positive that ANYTHING can be branded!

Even a oddball name like "zune".

In a word, YUCK!

•••
Anyone managed to sell any WII names yet?

•••
Speculate on the Zune having it's own propritary file format like wma

music.Zp3 or music.zun

•••
Jiblob said:
Anyone managed to sell any WII names yet?

i like your optimism mate :hehe:

•••
zunedocks.com
zuneprotector.com
zuneprotectors.com
zunecables.com
zunecable.com
zunespeakers.com
zuneseller.com
zunepictures.com

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Hi all,

I grabbed ZuneHQ.Com :)

Take care,
~Mr. Bone88

•••
Thank you Kimmy for sharing. :)

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I jumped on the band wagon too, I regged - ZuneyTunes.com.

•••
hawkeye said:

Hhahaaa! Good one! :lol:

•••
Grabbed some:

yourzune.com
preorderzune.com
pimpmyzune.com :hehe:

Should maybe get more. :)

MyPGP said:
Speculate on the Zune having it's own propritary file format like wma

Probably not going to happen. MS would be shooting its own leg by doing so. Windows Media all the way. I foresee that the Portable Media Devices wizard will be spiced up to be used with Zune, as well as WindowsMedia.com being made into the "iTunes" of Zune.

•••
Here's what I managed to grab :):

zunechat.net
talkzunes.com
zunepoint.com
zunephoto.com
zunegear.net
zunemini.com
zune-video.com
zunepros.com
zunesupport.com
zunesource.com
zuneforums.org
zuneforum.info
zuneforums.info

Any ideas on price?

Thank you,
Donny

•••
kinkarso said:
zunesupport.com

Aha! Now I know who grabbed it before me! :D

Any ideas on price?

I'd say none until Microsoft sources (none so far) confirm that 1) there's a player going to be released for sure, 2) the name actually is Zune. Remember that Zune is still a very, very faint rumor, backed up by one photo that might as well be a Photoshop modification of an iPod. Also there has been counter speculation that Microsoft won't actually release a portable music device at all, but will instead play the game through other vendors licensing their technology.

I'm gambling here with the names, not really playing on the safe side. It's like a slot machine. I might get the jackpot or then I might lose the game. :) I've seen lots of rumors and acclaimed prototype pics related to mobile phones. Many out of them have turned out to be fakes or the actual product is different from it. So my best guess is that something is going on, but the name Zune shouldn't yet be said to be the name for certain.

•••
Hi Kimmy
We are thinking alike---I got

Zunes.de
Zunes.cc

Almost everything else is taken :)

•••
What's it like to have all that disposable domain buying money? Ever stopped to think of your profit versus loss on these things? LOL!!!

Have fun Zunsters. :D

GoPC

•••
Everyone getting caught into another HEAVY hype.... how many "ipod killas" came out in the first 6 months when ipod was first introduce. Ipod simply has too heavy of a user base for Microsoft to bully in right now. This is a hype that is solely limited to the domain industry. The vpod is out with plans on a new generation... guys and gals.... save your money....I have found no othe online source to substantiate anthing mention here by the original poster.... and it's a bunch of newbies hyping it up lead by a certain "Slaughterbeck" forgive my skeptism but nothing here warrants going crazy over this.... you know how many people went nuts on Googles supposed "GBUY.com" release.... and the name ended being "checkout.google.com".... everyone take a deep breath and relax.... the domain industry is filled with dreamers and with dreamers come suscepitbility to anything hopeful!!! My 2 Cents!!!

•••
avalon426 said:
Everyone getting caught into another HEAVY hype.... how many "ipod killas" came out in the first 6 months when ipod was first introduce. Ipod simply has too heavy of a user base for Microsoft to bully in right now. This is a hype that is solely limited to the domain industry. The vpod is out with plans on a new generation... guys and gals.... save your money....I have found no othe online source to substantiate anthing mention here by the original poster.... and it's a bunch of newbies hyping it up lead by a certain "Slaughterbeck" forgive my skeptism but nothing here warrants going crazy over this.... you know how many people went nuts on Googles supposed "GBUY.com" release.... and the name ended being "checkout.google.com".... everyone take a deep breath and relax.... the domain industry is filled with dreamers and with dreamers come suscepitbility to anything hopeful!!! My 2 Cents!!!

You think Kimmy is a "newbie?" :hehe:

•••
Nice grab!

Last edited:
•••
Zune-MSN proof? Check out zunelive domains

Noticed that zunelive.com/.ca/.info/.us/.biz/.net were both reg'd by that the same Jack Spurr person. Interesting they have a Canadian address. If the zunelive is available in another extention might be worth a grap.

Any USA residents want to start a fight with MSN over the Canadian address for the zunelive.us domain?

Administrative,Technical Contact:
Register.com
Jack Spurr
62 Rcom Drive
Yarmouth, NS B5A 4B1
CA
Phone: +1.9027492792
Email: [email protected]

DNS Servers:

ns1.msft.net
ns5.msft.net
ns4.msft.net
ns2.msft.net
ns3.msft.net

•••
Kerrijo said:
You think Kimmy is a "newbie?" :hehe:

I don't know Kimmy or whether she's a newbie or not....timestamps and numbers of post mean nothing... as I've met many "newbies" recent reges on this forum and others with xxx,xxx names..so forgive me for giving that impression....

before jumping on a bandwagon.... I would just like to see more proof then a an article from "gizmodo.com".... it happens all the time in this industry and I've been around for quite a while myself and am just playing devil's advocate.... but at the same time I'm a domainer...... and it's all about chances.... yet with something as uncertain as this.... I always limit myself to a name or 2... miniscule lost for what maybe had.... nonetheless it seems like a lot of hype to me until I see some more boards and blogs with the news... take it as u will... just a more conservative domainer

•••
avalon426 said:
before jumping on a bandwagon.... I would just like to see more proof then a an article from "gizmodo.com".... it happens all the time in this industry and I've been around for quite a while myself and am just playing devil's advocate....

You're basically reinstating what I already said a while ago. ;)

•••
What's it like to have all that disposable domain buying money? Ever stopped to think of your profit versus loss on these things? LOL!!!

Have fun Zunsters.

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,600,000 for "nintendo wii"

** This was hype just one short month ago...now look at it...

I hope zune goes as well as the wii's did / are...

Last edited:
•••
I certainly understand what you're saying, but the whole domain industry really is centered around taking risks. ;)

Personally, I only registered two Zune domains...but only because I was a few hours too late to get more good ones ("good", assuming that Zune is the real name. If not, I'm out only $14.40).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back