IT.COM

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just regged :

Zunatic.com
and
Zuneatic.com

Thoughts? Am I a lunatic for regging these?

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a Zune Fan Site name. Good Name. $100.00

•••
---EDIT---

Last edited:
•••
It Looks Like ZuneDeals.com is a nice site too ;)

•••
Zune.us has been sold.

The details are to remain private.

Both parties are happy.

:)

•••
thats good news about zune.us! I wonder what it went for.... :hehe:

•••
Where'd it sell at? NP? Sedo?

•••
•••
Kerrijo said:
Jack Spurr pseudonym for microsoft I take it?

Not the case. "Jack Spurr" also is the person who registered Jeep.bg which is owned by Dahimler Chrysler, Jumpman23.com which is owned by Nike, and exxonmobil.es owned by Exxon. Each case where Jack Spurr is the person who registered the domain it is owned by the company who owns the product. My best guess is that Jack Spurr is not a real person and that it is a name used by some sort of firm these large companies use when they want to hide the ture identity of the purchaser. More info on my site. ZuneIM.com (Zune In the Media)

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hey, nice site. What script is it running on?

I'm hoping www.ZuneGamer.com and www.ZuneNetwork.com will become very popular sites in the future - when I get time to develop them. :(

- Vince

Last edited:
•••
MyPGP said:
I like the xbox looking site.

thanks i plan on editing it to fit the zune as soon as i get some great pics.

•••
Edit: All sorted.

Last edited:
•••
the zune doesn't appear to be anything special to me besides the fact that it is by microsoft. i highly doubt this will be an iPod killer, highly.

to start off, the design is pretty fugly for something trying to compete with an apple product (lets face it the iPod is hot shat).

can anyone imagine showing that to your friends with iPods (or even a zen). they would laugh in your face, and if you're lucky you won't get any vomit on your shoes.

features: sounds(and looks) like a PDA with extra memory, and some added functionality (and some subtracted).

when i buy a music player i just want to be able to listen to music on it, i dont want to have to go through connection settings, a bulky interface etc. maybe some games when im bored on a plane or something, but primarily music. with the zune they are adding just about every feature possible that people just dont care about. who knows, maybe you can lug your satellite TV reciever on your back and get live news updates because hell, no one could live without that on my music player, thats for sure.

that said, just what i expected from microsoft..

•••
•••
My Glass is half full (God Bless George Bush and Microsoft) - I went and regged zune.im!!!

•••
•••
I think it looks pretty sharp. I'd like to see the back.

•••
texasgamer said:
My Glass is half full (God Bless George Bush and Microsoft) - I went and regged zune.im!!!

Nice grab!! ... zunelive.im is still available too :)

•••
can anyone imagine showing that to your friends with iPods (or even a zen). they would laugh in your face, and if you're lucky you won't get any vomit on your shoes.
I showed a picture of The Zune to some of my friends. I was eagerly anticipating the site of them blowing chunks on their shoes. Not only did they not loose their cookies - they now think I am cool.... :xf.love:

•••
texasgamer said:
I showed a picture of The Zune to some of my friends. I was eagerly anticipating the site of them blowing chunks on their shoes. Not only did they not loose their cookies - they now think I am cool.... :xf.love:

What utter dorks...you mean they didn't think you were cool BEFORE???? :o

•••
Kerrijo said:
What utter dorks...you mean they didn't think you were cool BEFORE???? :o
Actually they knew I was cool before but now my coolness factor shot up even higher - maybe even to pimp levels! lol :hehe: zunepimp

•••
www.TopZuneSites.com is now live.

50 NP$ to each of the first 5 NP'rs who sign up as soon as you are approved. Approval given after checking the site for content and link back. PM to let me know so I can check.

•••
hark said:
www.TopZuneSites.com is now live.

50 NP$ to each of the first 5 NP'rs who sign up as soon as you are approved. Approval given after checking the site for content and link back. PM to let me know so I can check.

Added my new multi-media site called www.mymediascript.com

Will put the code in later today when I update and design our main index page. :)

Will PM you when it's up. Cheers. :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back