NameSilo

Is it only me?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have had 6 offers in the last 10 days.

4 were via Sedo,each of them were the lowest possible amounts from existing members.(usual suspects)

Countered all of them with reasonable offers,not one counter response! What's the point of this? Are they trying to get sellers to go to auction where second bids are a rarity or what?

Next enquiry was direct for an OK one word English spelling .com I countered with upper $xxx,very fair, no response.

Finally,fair offer via Namedrive.com which I accepted,no response!
D-:

Is it only me? :P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offers lately for me have been through the roof. Sedo listing them on godaddy has brought me a lot of minimum bids. You could raise minimum bid to eliminate lowballers. Personally I take all offers as it's just another offer on the Sedo page which makes the domain look more desirable. Most of my completed deals are direct through my own site though as I'm not a fan of anonymous offers.

Last edited:
•••
I am of the opinion, that all domainers think that any offer they get is too low.
Thus counter offers of a higher amount.
I offer a domainer a price and all I get is a counter offer back, I ignore.

I and I am sure more and more people out there are learning, why bother with dickering for a domain.
Too many out there to waste time with one domainer who want too much.

IMHO

•••
I don't think any offer is too low, I think most domainers think the min Sedo $60 offer is too low. You have to work on your emotional outlook if you don't want to raise the minimum, some people want every offer and I agree with Spare that the reason to do this is to get more offers showing for the domain.

About a year ago I spoke to two different entities, one a VC firm and the other a company that acquired a lot of domains, although not for resale but to build out. The thing that was interesting to me was that when they both used Sedo they sorted by number of bids, if they were looking for LLLL.com or pronounceable LLLLL.com the VC firm told me they only looked at names that had prior bids. I said they could miss out on a lot of good domains doing that. They said it was just a value indicator for them and they did not have all day to search all of Sedo. So that is one reason to accept all offers.

But, I have been out when guys checked their phone and got a $60 offer and lost their mind, they were infuriated, the language cannot be repeated here. I always said its just the first offer, they may not be a domainer. The fact of the matter is that when you get outside of Domainville and back on the highway to the rest of the world, not everyone understands that domains have great value. That does not mean you don't look for your price, it just means to prepare yourself emotionally for lowball offers.

Again IMO

•••
Offers lately for me have been through the roof. Sedo listing them on godaddy has brought me a lot of minimum bids. You could raise minimum bid to eliminate lowballers. Personally I take all offers as it's just another offer on the Sedo page which makes the domain look more desirable. Most of my completed deals are direct through my own site though.

I have no problem with a bucketload of offers but when there are zero responses to counters I fail to see the point of the original offers unless these people just get kicks from doing it?

I am sure some of those doing this are members here so would be interested to know their reasoning.

•••
You make a good point Wot and there are certainly domainers that just go through Sedo and make a lot of $60 offers, hoping to get lucky with either sold, a counter at a bargain price of say $300, or sent to auction where there usually is not a second bid. It costs nothing but a little time, not every domainer is astute or up on every trend so its a free way to fish for bargains.

•••
I agree with Spare that the reason to do this is to get more offers showing for the domain.

About a year ago I spoke to two different entities, one a VC firm and the other a company that acquired a lot of domains, although not for resale but to build out. The thing that was interesting to me was that when they both used Sedo they sorted by number of bids, if they were looking for LLLL.com or pronounceable LLLLL.com the VC firm told me they only looked at names that had prior bids. I said they could miss out on a lot of good domains doing that. They said it was just a value indicator for them and they did not have all day to search all of Sedo. So that is one reason to accept all offers.

I do this quite a bit at auction sites as time is a valuable commodity.

But, I have been out when guys checked their phone and got a $60 offer and lost their mind, they were infuriated, the language cannot be repeated here. I always said its just the first offer, they may not be a domainer. The fact of the matter is that when you get outside of Domainville and back on the highway to the rest of the world, not everyone understands that domains have great value. That does not mean you don't look for your price, it just means to prepare yourself emotionally for lowball offers.

Again IMO

Most lowball offers never materialize into a sale but I did sell one that came in at $50 initially for $6500 so ya never know.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I have no problem with a bucketload of offers but when there are zero responses to counters I fail to see the point of the original offers unless these people just get kicks from doing it?

I am sure some of those doing this are members here so would be interested to know their reasoning.

experienced domainers just trying to grab gems from inexperienced users anonymously for $60 or just price checking because they have a similar domain and no I have never done this.

•••
I am of the opinion, that all domainers think that any offer they get is too low.

I and I am sure more and more people out there are learning, why bother with dickering for a domain.

IMHO

Sorry,I simply don't get your reasoning. Of course you counter with a higher amount,basic negotiation.

You make an offer and if the "seller" counters you ignore it?

You are going in with your max offer with a first bid?

Do you buy many names using that technique?

•••

IMHO

need to offer 50-75% on the initial bid so there's room to go up on the counter offer, Sedo actually tells end users not to offer their highest price, could also be your offering reseller prices where yes 50% of domainers are only looking for end user sales myself included

Last edited:
•••
That's a good point too Wot, when you are on a domain forum you get many opinions which is cool. But what you usually don't get are qualifiers, there are many domainers who only handreg or buy domains for $75 or less. No knock at that, totally fine, but when you get comments on negotiating, it does not matter to know has the commenter negotiated a four figure deal, a five figure deal ? If they have not then their opinion is still worth hearing as to get an overall consensus feel, but it might not help you with your strategic question.

•••
I have almost all of my Sedo domains set to "Buy Now", which they recommend - maybe I should change them to "Make Offer"?

•••
I have almost all of my Sedo domains set to "Buy Now", which they recommend - maybe I should change them to "Make Offer"?

ones ya want gone or the lower end good to have priced as they show up on godaddy as well and buy it nows do take the bullshit out of negotiations and make it an instant sale

Premium or your top end names I would definitely go make offer as premium names require no urgency to sell since offers are more frequent and your goal is to maximize your return on those

•••
Premium or your top end names I would definitely go make offer as premium names require no urgency to sell since offers are more frequent and your goal is to maximize your return on those

I have no domains that are premium enough to get "frequent" offers - my entire portfolio gets about 2 Sedo offers a year (though I've been getting more through InternetTraffic lately). So I guess I will just leave everything set to "Buy Now". Thanks for the advice.

•••
I have no domains that are premium enough to get "frequent" offers - my entire portfolio gets about 2 Sedo offers a year (though I've been getting more through InternetTraffic lately). So I guess I will just leave everything set to "Buy Now". Thanks for the advice.

yeah Internet Traffic is good because the sales link is very noticeable unlike Domain Sponsor etc... My suggestion for Sedo would be their "Sales Lander" or "Lime Crush", kinda dig the "Lime Crush" lander

•••
<RANT ON>

I've gotten many low-ball offers (always seems to be from someone registered at SEDO since December 2011 - as seen when checking "Information about the buyer") What irritates me is based on the Buyer Info, the BUYER Activity is 5 Bars (which tells me they buy alot). So why the min $60 offer if they are in the business???

Another irritating thing is if I counter offer with a reasonable price, I'm stuck waiting for a response for 7 days and most of the time I never hear from them again. In my mind when I counter, the "Buyer" now has 7 days to shop my domain name around knowing they can buy it at my counter offer price. The 7 days is TOO LONG (IMHO).

</RANT OFF>

Thanks for listening :)

•••
<RANT ON>

I've gotten many low-ball offers (always seems to be from someone registered at SEDO since December 2011 - as seen when checking "Information about the buyer") What irritates me is based on the Buyer Info, the BUYER Activity is 5 Bars (which tells me they buy alot). So why the min $60 offer if they are in the business???

Another irritating thing is if I counter offer with a reasonable price, I'm stuck waiting for a response for 7 days and most of the time I never hear from them again. In my mind when I counter, the "Buyer" now has 7 days to shop my domain name around knowing they can buy it at my counter offer price. The 7 days is TOO LONG (IMHO).

</RANT OFF>

Thanks for listening :)

All 4 of the those offers received at Sedo went exactly that way from similar buyer profiles.

As I said, I can only assume they are making their purchases post auction when nobody else bids after "seller" thinks he/she may get a better deal by going that route.I really don't see many people accepting a first low bid without any type of counter.

The counter offer causes the "buyer" to move on to the next lowball offer on another name and the auction route and they don't even have the courtesy to cancel the bid thread.

•••
Re the $ 60 offers : can someone please explain to me , isn't there a minimum commission of $ 50 at Sedo ?

•••

Accepting a $60.00 offer on Sedo is hardly worth it, given that there is a $50.00 minimum commission. At that price, Paypal would be best because the risk is minimal.

I would say that $250 on Sedo would be rock bottom price. A $200 profit on a low-level domain is not a bad ROI.

•••
•••
•••
Offers lately for me have been through the roof. Sedo listing them on godaddy has brought me a lot of minimum bids. You could raise minimum bid to eliminate lowballers. Personally I take all offers as it's just another offer on the Sedo page which makes the domain look more desirable. Most of my completed deals are direct through my own site though as I'm not a fan of anonymous offers.

It is incredible to note that nobody has mentioned that Sedo charges 20% commission on those GoDaddy sales, whereas if you list directly on GoDaddy, they only charge you 10% commission.

My sales ytd are GoDaddy-4 Sedo-1 Aftenic-1 Private-1. I wasn't using GoDaddy at first, but when I realized the commission difference, I listed them on GoDaddy, ASAP. It's made me approx a grand in saved commissions

Last edited:
•••
^^ for this reason i deleted my domains for sedo and transfer from drop-registars to godaddy to list there.
despite the min bid seting in sedo godaddy still allowed everyone to offer $60 that's why wot described as the established buyer - it is actually the same, as the godaddy is playing a role of the sedo seller there hence the high sedo score

•••
I list on all three Sedo, Afternic, and GoDaddy. I've been pleasantly surprised how good GoDaddy are. Number of eyeballs, I guess. But I see no reason to pay Sedo 20% when I pay GoDaddy only 10%. That's crazy-stupid.

•••
I list on all three Sedo, Afternic, and GoDaddy. I've been pleasantly surprised how good GoDaddy are. Number of eyeballs, I guess. But I see no reason to pay Sedo 20% when I pay GoDaddy only 10%. That's crazy-stupid.

and if you don't have domains registered with godaddy?

regards,
tonecas

•••
You can still list them on GoDaddy. 95% of my domains aren't registered at GoDaddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back