Domain Empire

Elephant Killer Bob Parsons (GoDaddy CEO)

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
What is more likely?

A) Bob Parsons and his people didn't recognize the PR issues around killing an elephant on video and then putting GoDaddy hats on the butchers.

B) He needs an excuse for falling revenues when he tries to sell the company again. "They'll buy again when I leave."

C) ???

•••
What is more likely?

B) He needs an excuse for falling revenues when he tries to sell the company again. "They'll buy again when I leave."

'B' is interesting, but it makes your revenue fall even faster.

'A' might be the answer = He is "out of touch" with most people.

EDIT:

Later on it shows local villagers cutting the meat off the elephant to eat in what can only be described as a horrific melee of human activity. Parsons also provides a textual commentary of his adventure with the immortal line, "Of everything I do this is the most rewarding." Which must be truly comforting for his friends, family, and co-workers to hear. D-:
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /2011/03/31/godaddy-suffers-for-ceos-elephant-cull/

Last edited:
•••
  • Was Godaddy looking for buyers last year?

They are #1, that's a big fall really fast.

I don't mind going out on a limb on this one - my rationale is that a lot of people are upset about this, people who are skilled at SEO, internet marketing. Social architects, you might say - I just sense a campaign brewing ... 8^X

•••
I said it on a different forum, that I cannot in good conscious remain with godaddy. Having said that, the thing is, I just don't have the money to switch just now. And it's bothering me!

Another thing that I said, and will continue to say - I predict godaddy will be defunct by end of summer.

True to say, I pulled my inventory 2 days ago.

I saw a posting relating to this incident that touch a home truth,

we (the domain investment and webdev community)participated in the killing of the animal by contributing finance to Bob's hunting trip in Zimbabwe.​

We all played a role in killing this animal by registering domains and web products from Godaddy! :guilty:

If this is the thing Bob does on his 'hunting trips abroad' then we as a whole will be funding his next kill - tiger?, lion? rhino? hippopotamus? - maybe. I'm sure he'll come up with some arbitrary reason to do this. :td:

No hesitations from me moving my portfolio out, I now live in the knowledge that I'm no longer participating in his bloodbaths.

• Was Godaddy looking for buyers last year?

They are #1, that's a big fall really fast.

Myspace anyone? :hehe:

•••
Myspace anyone? :hehe:

:sold:
For $800 Million USD

Re-sell?
_\|/_

^^^
Godaddy does have more income and paying customers than MySpace ever did.
I agree they might lose a lot of people over the recent 'bloody mess'.

•••
Wow, I just made a serach for the title of this topic:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Elephant+Killer+Bob+Parsons

... and I found this:
http://www.elephantkiller.com/

and this domain is also registered:
http://bob-parsons-elephant-killer.com/

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

By the way, while I disagree with what this bastard did, in Japan they kill 20.000 dolphins a year and nobody is doing anything to stop Japans. I watched a 90 min documentary called "The Cove" a while ago but it looks like that video is now removed.

Last edited:
•••

Ironically, it's registered at GoDaddy!

GoDaddy will likely put out more coupons with even deeper discounts ... people are talking boycott / regging elsewhere, but when push comes to shove, many will still go with the cheapest price, which is often GoDaddy.

Ron

•••
Wow. Bob Parsons is a coward (shooting an elephant with a gun). What a scumbag. I'll be moving my 100 domains from Godaddy. I'll pay a few bucks more elsewhere, but I hate to think my reg and renewal fees helped pay for his gruesome safari. What a cowardly, little man. All that money and the humanity of a small soap dish. What a skunk.

•••
[/COLOR]By the way, while I disagree with what this bastard did, in Japan they kill 20.000 dolphins a year and nobody is doing anything to stop Japan. I watched a 90 min documentary called "The Cove" a while ago but it looks like that video is now removed.

Australia is/was mounting a case for theses crimes (whale hunting) and wanting to place Japan on trail in the international courts, Great to see a country with 20M and 'sufficient' defence challenge such a powerful nation on such issues - great courage indeed.

Given recent events though (tsunami) I think it's been postponed until an appropriate time frame.

•••
Because it needs to be said!

We all live in glass houses, what you see depends on whose
got the bigger rocks.

Did a prior post get deleted? Totally lost.

Never throw a rock at a glass house unless you're locked inside the glass house and the only object you can find is a rock.

(Ripped off from Dimitry)

•••
Never throw a rock at a glass house unless you're locked inside the glass house and the only object you can find is a rock.

(Ripped off from Dimitry)

"unless your the rock supplier to people living in glass houses" - :$::$:CA-CHING!:$::$:

welcome to the world of capitalism~ :sold:

•••
shootmeanelephant.com

is available

you can read it as 'shoot mean elephant' or 'shoot me an elephant(bob)'lol

•••
What Mike Mann said is what it's all about: Bob Parsons just couldn't keep his ego fulfilled with fake b00bs and a superbowl commercial. He HAD to kill an elephant!

•••
Amazing. Most pro-domainers don't use Godaddy for very good reasons. I've always told people to that GD has horrible policies in comparison to other registrars. Sure you can get the occasional coupon to save enough money to buy a candy bar but imho security of my domains is #1. So here he goes and shoots and elephant and suddenly people are leaving? I don't get it. You should leave because he's bad for your business not because the CEO likes to shoot elephants.

Oh and for those claiming some moral high ground. What about all those sleezy ads he's been doing for years exploiting women? Didn't see you making a fuss then.

This is where businessmen are separated from hobbyists.

•••
Amazing. Most pro-domainers don't use Godaddy for very good reasons. I've always told people to that GD has horrible policies in comparison to other registrars.

Most businessmen read the policies and understand the reasons, they don't rely on hearsay.

What are the reasons, out of curiosity? I've read the terms and conditions on most mainstream registrars so I'm interested to know what you found that sets them apart in a negative fashion.

I see your sigs are at Moniker... there's a sound company that has no involvement in privacy issues, shill bidding, and playing "fair" in the drop game.. forcing tranfers to be in their auctions etc. allow transfers without auth codes (allegedly), conflicts of interest (brokering/selling/auctions) without separation of access ... yep.. safe as houses... better by a country mile...

But for the sake of argument - what in their T&C is better than GoDaddy?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Bob parsons the elephant killing scumbag

I just saw bob in the news about his elephant killing. I suppose Zimbabwe being a 3rd world hellhole was the only place to take this idiot in and let him kill a highly intelligent and over hunted species.

Hunting is necessary to allot of people though Bob and his millions could of fed more people for $1000 than his elephant killing has.

I have not watched the video yet but i don't expect I will change my views after seeing it.

I think hes let allot of people down with his antics here.

I have over 160 domains hosted at go daddy and was it not for the cost and technical time issues I would happily transfer them away immediately.

I think he needs to look at his morals both in killing sentient species and also the way his business operates in other ways.

I can only hope he himself gets hunted down by some friendly locals on his way back to the airport. Though of course I would wish him no long term harm or injury as that would make me as bad as bob the monster.

•••
Seems biker Bob can get away with anything.

shooting animals.
domain warehousing
putting bs 60 day locks for just updating a whois, ICANN does nothing, though it goes against their regulations.
And i prolly missed a few other things. conclusion..GD is for the average public and not for domainers.

Course i am biased since i do not focus on gTLD's and the prices for ccTLD's beside .co are outrages.

•••
This is where businessmen are separated from hobbyists.

PHP:
if ($the_money == "Good Enough") {
hobbyist > businessman };

Why would anyone choose to be a "businessman" if you can have fun and make money off of your hobbies?

•••
•••
they then realize how stupid they were to reg them in the first place...
Give them 10 points for regging them at Godaddy... with privacy... for 2 years... and just parked.

•••
Quite honestly I don't know what to think about this...is bob trying to sabotage his company? I'm a 100% animal lover on almost every level and frankly will be moving all my names away from his service. I don't agree with it and I don't condone the sport or lack of that is in this recent situation. I love namecheap so the move will be nothing short of painless in my eyes.

I really would like to see him publicly respond to this matter and perhaps explain a bit more in detail what went down. I have not watched the video nor will I watch the video as I'm sure it will make me sick to my stomach. I think he far underestimated the amount of animal lovers that are paying customers and this could cost him dearly.

Go Namecheap! I love the idea of contributing a portion of the proceeds to the cause!

Totally agree!!

I´m COMPLETELY SAD about being a Godaddy´s customer... and in a certain way, my money helped this bastard to shoot as a hobby...

Don´t believe HOW STUPID is Bob.

So much money in the pockets and NOTHING is his head.

STOP with killing sencient beings!!!

•••
Story is going to run on CNN in a few min

•••
If he'd killed a deer or a bear would anyone care? Why is the elephant different? Not saying what he did was right, because it wasn't - very stupid move on his part, but keep it in perspective...

What about all the human atrocities that big companies do every single day, such as companies who outsource to China and elsewhere, including big name companies, including Nike, Dell and Apple. Where's the outrage about that?

http://micgadget.com/3793/the-real-truth-behind-foxconns-suicide-cluster/

Ron

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back