Domain Empire

Domain appraisal scam; Fleos.com Pozde.com Pedma.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just got this email today and am wondering if it is a scam that trying to trick people using their paid appraisal service.

Here is the email:

Dear sir,

we are interested to buy your domain name AADITHYAUNIVERSE.COM and offer to buy it from you for 65% of the appraised market value.

As of now we accept appraisals from either one of the following leading appraisal companies:

sedo.com
pedma.com
accuratedomains.com

If you already have an appraisal please forward it to us.

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use Paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

We appreciate your business,

Thanks,

J. Roberts

I also posted my reply here so that you know where I am coming from:

Hi John,

Why are you interested in this domain? Do you happen to own one or both of the sites?

pedma.com
accuratedomains.com

No need for the appraisal, I will accept any reasonable offer you have.

Anthony

What do you think? Any sincere feedback will be appreciated.

Anthony

:gn:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same here :alien:

[email protected]

Dear sir,

we are interested to buy your domain name A-D-P.COM and offer to buy it from you for 65% of the appraised market value.

As of now we accept appraisals from either one of the following leading appraisal companies:

sedo.com
pedma.com
accuratedomains.com

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use Paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

Thanks,
Robert Smith

•••
•••
PHP:
Hello,
I came across your domain name LLL.NET and I would be interested in buying it from you.
Here is my offer, you have to send me a professional appraisal from one of the following companies. and I will pay you 85% of the appraised price.
For payments under $2000 I prefer to use paypal. And for larger amounts of money I prefer if we used escrow.com

I accept appraisals from any of these companies:
-sedo.com
-pedma.com
-accuratedomains.com
If you already have an appraisal from one of those companies please forward it to me, and we will do business.
Regards,
XXXXXX

Got similar scam for my LLL.net,
They didnot know I already have the appraisal.
I sent them a sedo appraisal(real) of $x,xxx ..
Lets see what happens!! :hehe:

Cheers!

•••
Got the same letter from 'James Johnson' for my domain AboutWinnipeg.com, here was my response, don't know why I bothered, though:

Thank you for your interest. The owner of MerchantRevenue.com appraises this domain at $75,000. Please send 85% of that amount to the whois address. I accept $USD cash, small denominations only. Also, I'm a bit superstitous, so as you place the cash in an envelope, please hover your hand over the manilla envelope, while repeating these words slowly: "Owa Tagu Siam."

Thanks, it's a pleasure doing business with you.

•••
yeah that is definetly a scam, ive had a few of these come through in the past.

•••
Got it too. For a domain starting with "aa". Definately alphabetical.

promoting sedo.com, pedma.com, accuratedomains.com

Signed "Thanks, P. Miller"

•••

Rogue - no , no , no ... the phrase you should have told him to repeat should have been ... "iama sca mmer" ;) lol

•••
lol Robert Smith send me that email to. I figured The Cure don't sell that much anymore these days :P

He's at ad coz mine was a-d-u dot com

•••
Alex said:
Got it from [email protected] ... my domain was AboutSeychelles .... so he/they advanced to AB ....

I replied with something I cannot paste here though ... I advised him to appraise something else.

Everybody who get this email, at least take your time and reply a line or two. At least if many people waste their times, they will stop.

That was a funny one. May be next time I will ask him to "come appraise this!" or "appraise my xxxx"!

Anthony

An in depth investigation was conducted by Conrad Longmore at this page:

http://www.dynamoo.com/blog/2009/03/pedmacom-domain-appraisals.html

Here is part of the contents from the post:

...... Pedma promises to refund your appraisal money or buy the domain itself if you don't sell it within 6 months.

Pedma looks like the best option. But who are they exactly?

Here's the thing - there is almost nothing about them in Google. It looks like they have been in the domain appraisal business for hardly any time at all. So isn't it odd that they are being recommended?

Let's look at the WHOIS details:

Registrant:
Billy McDOW
366 Kingswood Dr
Bedford, Nova Scotia B4B 1T8
Canada

Domain Name: PEDMA.COM
Created on: 01-Jul-08
Expires on: 01-Jul-09
Last Updated on: 12-Mar-09

Administrative Contact:
McDOW, Billy [email protected]
366 Kingswood Dr
Canada
9024950112 Fax --

Technical Contact:
McDOW, Billy [email protected]
366 Kingswood Dr
Canada
9024950112 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1501.HOSTGATOR.COM
NS1502.HOSTGATOR.COM
It's hard to say if the details are genuine or not, but it certainly isn't an obvious fake. But a few days ago, pedma.com was registered to someone else:

Registrant:
Manuel Fichter
38 Matthew Drive
Hammonds Plains, NS B4B 1T8
Canada

Created on: 01-Jul-08
Expires on: 01-Jul-09
Last Updated on: 05-Mar-09

Administrative Contact:
Fichter, Manuel [email protected]
38 Matthew Drive
Canada
9024950112 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Fichter, Manuel [email protected]
38 Matthew Drive
Canada
9024950112 Fax --

DNS53-1.NEXCESS.NET
DNS53-2.NEXCESS.NET
About the same time, the IP address of pedma.com changed from 208.69.122.200 to 174.132.194.58. Now, the 208.x.x.x address was mentioned a few days ago on another blog for questionable domain practices, so you might suggest that this is not a coincidence.

I just checked the WHOIS in Network Solutions for PEDMA.COM just now and got only this:

Registrant:
Billy McDOW

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

NS1501.HOSTGATOR.COM
NS1502.HOSTGATOR.COM

For complete domain details go to:
http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?Domain=PEDMA.COM

The WHOIS database was just updated today - most likely just few hours ago!

Anthony

•••
Received the latest iteration of this scam email today from "J. LEWIS" at "[email protected]".

Must be going through the domains manually as the domain the offer was made for started with "AD". Again it was for an expired domain.

•••
Got this one today.

Dear sir,

we are interested to buy your domain name XXXXXX.com and offer to buy it from you for 70% of the appraised market value.

sedo.com
pozde.com
moniker.com
accuratedomains.com

Thanks,

P. Jackson

•••
My reply:

"Having had more experience in appraisals than the majority of the companies you mentioned I am happy to inform you that I have personally appraised A----.com at $5,000 thus the figure to complete the sale would be $3,500

Escrow.com appears to be your payment method of choice, I assume we will split fees. Let me know your escrow.com user email and I will set up the transaction."

Sitting by my computer awaiting a reply. :wave:

bizing.biz - seems to be a common factor - guess what? - protected whois. duh!

Another name they may use? dexpay.com

•••
IT's 100% scam

Hilarious Funny Scam I have Every Seen,

I recived it's today, I do not even think about the reply just come here and visit forum and gotcha! mr.& mrs. Lopez fall here too :)

the funny thing is mail from David Lopez signature from R.thomas,
2 ppl one mail LoL

Subject: Offer to purchase domain name AFERINBUDALASI.COM - Domain

Dear sir,

we are interested to purchase your domain name AFERINBUDALASI.COM and =
would like to offer you 65% of the actual appraised market value.=20

As of now we accept valuations from one of these reputable domain name=
appraisers:

sedo.com
pozde.com
moniker.com

Should you already have an appraisal for AFERINBUDALASI.COM please for=
ward it to us.

Thanks,

R. Thomas

Just I would like to share with you guys
Avoid them! :imho:

Cheers.
Yd.

Last edited:
•••
similar scam

I received a scam email today similar to the ones posted. Copy for info including the senders email. Notice they used Sedo again.

Date: 25 June 2009

We are interested to buy your domain name BEYONDTHENORTH.COM and offer to buy it from you for 80% of the appraised market value.

- flyrating.com
- sedo.com

Yours truly,

Anthony Phillips

•••
i always like to respond by saying. "Feel free to get it appraised if you like"

:hi:

It's actually best not to respond to any scam or spam emails.

Sometimes responders get their names added to a list which is
then sold to other scammers ,spammers and phishers.

This is particularly true for spam emails.

If you respond to spam, you are verifying your email address is good.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

I am surprised though that they added Sedo to the list lol. I guess they are trying to look, more legit

:hi:

You really shouldn't be surprised.

These emails are sent out in tremendous volumes.

If you check you will see that an appraisal at Sedo cost more than
the other two sites which are connected to the scammer.

The scammers know odds are most people responding will pick one
of the two cheaper appraisal "services".

These emails are particularly effective for Newbies.

Imagine you have registered some domains and you receive such an email.

You get very excited...and very taken. :'(

•••
They're up to the C's

Interesting -- they're offering 70% of the value for one and 80% for the other.
I don't see the value in this -- unless it sedo.com promoting themselves -- they seem to be the only one in all the emails. I did go there and sign up - actually paid $29 for a doman eval (before I got the second email) -- but a certificate problem on their end stopped the transaction.

---------------------------------

We are interested to buy your domain name CAMBRIDGESMILES.COM and offer to buy it from you for 70% of the appraised market value.
fleos.com
sedo.com
As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.
Yours truly,
Brian Harris
----------------------------
We are interested to buy your domain name CANINEBRACES.COM and offer to buy it from you for 80% of the appraised market value.
- fleos.com
- sedo.com
As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.
Yours truly,
Kevin Hill

•••
Lol! Flyrating.com and Fleos.com have the same design. I think whoever behind this is one lazy scammer.

•••
Up to "C" - I got this email today.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We are interested to buy your domain name Cxxxx.COM and offer to buy it from you for 70% of the appraised market value.

fleos.com
sedo.com

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

Yours truly,

Brian Harris
[email protected]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

•••
received this mail today

We are interested to buy your domain name DAxxxxxx.COM and offer to buy it from you for 80% of the appraised market value.

- fleos.com
- sedo.com

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow for amounts above $2,000) as well as
further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

Yours truly,

Mark Evans
--------------------------

I was very suspicious so I googled and found this website :tu:

•••
damn i never receive any of these scams , somebody send me a fake sale offer please i am jealous

haha

•••
We all laugh about this scammer, but, there must be many victims
as they would not continue this crap unless people fall for this.

•••
Up to "S" ?

My appreciation to this group. Apparently this does work for them, as they haven't changed the text.

Received: from LINKSYS (domainstoreonline.net [64.186.128.191]) by rly-mf10.mx.aol.com (v124.15) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINMF108-98a4a8074e7128; Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:28:40 -0400

Subject: Domain name SURxxxxxxx.INFO
Date: 8/10/2009 3:28:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Dear Sir,

we are interested to buy your domain name SURxxxxxxx.INFO and offer 65% of the appraised market value.

sedo.com
pddomains.com
accuratedomains.com

Domain Resale

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back