Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"The .co aftermarket only stands to get better (and more expensive) when the roots are a growing World Finance 100 Company."

This isn't like the Fortune 500 or anything like that. This 100 was open to nominations. They probably nominated themselves (that's good marketing). I've never heard of it before, but according to Wikipedia, only 3 lines on this magazine:

"World Finance is a financial magazine produced every two months by World News Media, based in the UK."

So congrats but keep a little perspective.

•••
The perspective is there. I never made an exaggerative statement. It's not world changing, but who said it was? Slow growth is nice, in any case.

I think people get lost in fighting hyperbole, and that's a shame. I don't condone hyperbole in any situation. If you think .CO business is ONLY hyperbole, I would disagree.

Maybe tracking down Robert Cline would be a better option...

"The .co aftermarket only stands to get better (and more expensive) when the roots are a growing World Finance 100 Company."

This isn't like the Fortune 500 or anything like that. This 100 was open to nominations. They probably nominated themselves (that's good marketing). I've never heard of it before, but according to Wikipedia, only 3 lines on this magazine:

"World Finance is a financial magazine produced every two months by World News Media, based in the UK."

So congrats but keep a little perspective.

•••
"The perspective is there. I never made an exaggerative statement."

It was more to the using of World Finance 100 Company as if it was a big deal. Like, Oscar nominted actor __________. It's a magazine you've probably never heard of until today. Me either. I did little checks, like looking at Google News, putting that magazine in quotes and other financial magazines people have actually heard of. It only had 4 results, 3 being press releases. Now compare that to the others and that's what I was getting at. Speaking of Robert Cline, there's already one of them out there, let him troll the blogs.

"If you think .CO business is ONLY hyperbole, I would disagree."

Didn't say any of that, anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
"Any publicity is good publicity" never referred to businesses that were physical product oriented. It refers to entertainment celebrities and the such who may gain popularity from being "infamous" or "famous". This stands true even more so in the internet age. The internet is 1000x more powerful than the "Enquirer" ever was. This benefits celebrities and public figures even more.

The saying originated back in the days when press was very limited and tightly controlled. Thus any publicity -- bad or good -- was considered a rare gift. Nowadays, one can achieve worldwide exposure in 140 characters or less, which is then amplified and repeated ad nauseum by the blogosphere. One might argue the quality of press is more important today than ever before.

•••
Publicity is still publicity. Now it's just magnified with the internet. However, this doesn't relate to .co so much...

The saying originated back in the days when press was very limited and tightly controlled. Thus any publicity -- bad or good -- was considered a rare gift. Nowadays, one can achieve worldwide exposure in 140 characters or less, which is then amplified and repeated ad nauseum by the blogosphere. One might argue the quality of press is more important today than ever before.

•••
Publicity is still publicity. Now it's just magnified with the internet. However, this doesn't relate to .co so much...

Great point, so let's bring this back to .CO. Overstock.com bungles its rebranding effort with O.co. The resultant bad publicity from this one instance is enough for many people to overreact and condemn the entire .CO domain as a failure. Simply put, bad-publicity is bad, good-publicity is good, and no-publicity is a quaint notion in this age of Google.

•••
The resultant bad publicity from this one instance is enough for many people to overreact and condemn the entire .CO domain as a failure.

I'm not sure anyone noticed in the real world.

Domainers noticed but didn't change many minds - haters hated more, lovers made excuses. Maybe some undecideds got swayed.

•••
•••
Let's open this can of worms...

Sedo's Premium .CO Auction: Success or FAIL?

What's your verdict?

http://coblog.co/sedo-premium-co-auction-success-or-fail/

For those that sold at a loss - fail
For those that sold at a profit - success

For those that didnt sell?

For .co reputation in domainer land - fail

In the real world - no impact unless the business does research.

Most harm/gain to .co?

Is whether local branding, consulting, seo groups push the extension. I don't think they ever did.

•••

What's your verdict?

http://coblog.co/sedo-premium-co-auction-success-or-fail/

It's neither a failure or a success. It simply is what it is for an alternative extention.

Personally I was happy with a few sales and highly dissappointed with a few others. I won't complain and I also won't submit my domains to a no reserve auction again :bah:

•••
Well it depends on whom you ask.
First of all, 81% of the domains sold. That is good.
But many domains sold for modest amounts, leaving the owners with pocket change (after acquisition costs and Sedo commission).
The truth is, many domains were weak or average. Without the exposure from the auction they could have remained unsold.
I think it further demonstrates that when dealing with alt TLDs it is very hard to make a substantial profit. The domains sold for what they were deemed to be worth. They have low liquidity.

Of course there are exceptions but when you have to rely more on luck than the quality of domains it's no longer investing - it's gambling.

I bet that the first Sedo .xxx auction will look the same: money will be made and lost but nothing ground-breaking.

•••
Haters hated more, lovers made excuses. Maybe some undecideds got swayed.

I think there's a Paul Simon song in there somewhere. :hehe:

•••
Statistics are always lies. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Please don't try to tell the truth. That's a real burden you put on your shoulders.

Well it depends on whom you ask.
First of all, 81% of the domains sold. That is good.
But many domains sold for modest amounts, leaving the owners with pocket change (after acquisition costs and Sedo commission).
The truth is, many domains were weak or average. Without the exposure from the auction they could have remained unsold.
I think it further demonstrates that when dealing with alt TLDs it is very hard to make a substantial profit. The domains sold for what they were deemed to be worth. They have low liquidity.

Of course there are exceptions but when you have to rely more on luck than the quality of domains it's no longer investing - it's gambling.

I bet that the first Sedo .xxx auction will look the same: money will be made and lost but nothing ground-breaking.

•••

Please don't try to tell the truth. That's a real burden you put on your shoulders.

I'll bear this opinion in mind next time I come across one of your posts then ... :great:

•••

The figures don't lie.
Feel free to make up and share your own statistics based on these sales. Does it matter if the glass is half empty or half full.

Maybe you are disappointed with the sales but it's better than no sales at all.

•••
Some one in an earlier post took a quotation out of context. In the "celebrity" publicity game, all publicity is good for the pocket book. When you are selling a good or service, not so. The reason is that a good or service has the potential to do harm to someone and everyone knows that. Tabloid stuff does not. I's just tripe for bored people...

It's the attention that counts with celebrities and every time you take to Twitter to talk about a celebrity, for good or bad, you are helping line their pockets.

Great point, so let's bring this back to .CO. Overstock.com bungles its rebranding effort with O.co. The resultant bad publicity from this one instance is enough for many people to overreact and condemn the entire .CO domain as a failure. Simply put, bad-publicity is bad, good-publicity is good, and no-publicity is a quaint notion in this age of Google.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Exactly. This is the nature of auctions...

It's neither a failure or a success. It simply is what it is for an alternative extention.

Personally I was happy with a few sales and highly dissappointed with a few others. I won't complain and I also won't submit my domains to a no reserve auction again :bah:

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Holy history, Batman! Where did you come up with that post?

When a person takes posts out of context, it does nothing for credibility...

The figures don't lie.
Feel free to make up and share your own statistics based on these sales. Does it matter if the glass is half empty or half full.

Maybe you are disappointed with the sales but it's better than no sales at all.

•••

You either work for the .CO registry or you are completely insane. Lol. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Just my own personal observation. :kickass:

Last edited:
•••
Taken out of context. You seem to be the guru of taking things out of context. I believe that was more of a discussion about life in general and a quotation from Mark Twain. Statistically they say there is a 99% chance of me dying if I leave my home today. That's why I haven't left it in 5 years...:blink: I am bigger on Math then I am stats.

BTW...funk-man, I AM absolutely insane. So insane that it's probably best not to read any of my posts, although I will keep generating them.:P

You can just install an automatic button to pre-dislike all my posts...

You either work for the .CO registry are you are completely insane. Lol. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Just my own personal observation. :kickass:

•••
I see tons of talking but has anyone here actually sold .co for profit?

Textbooks.co, stereo.co, 666.co...we're here I guess. Where are the reported sales from the others who constantly post here? As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words :bingo:

•••
I see tons of talking but has anyone here actually sold .co for profit?

Textbooks.co, stereo.co, 666.co...we're here I guess. Where are the reported sales from the others who constantly post here? As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words :bingo:

We sold numerous .CO domains in December for well over 10x average net profit. We have 2 more good sales currently pending.

So far we are seeing the best profit when end-user companies seek us out, much less when we call on them. I suspect that's true with any TLD, but of course .CO also requires more user education than .COM.

Last edited:
•••
My ROI with .co has been 10x to 100X.
We sold numerous .CO domains in December for well over 10x average net profit. We have 2 more good sales currently pending.

So far we are seeing the best profit when end-user companies seek us out, much less when we call on them. I suspect that's true with any TLD, but of course .CO also requires more user education than .COM.

•••
My ROI with .co has been 10x to 100X.

So take reg fee between $20-$30 and multiply by 100. Please share your $2k-$3k sale with us. Every public sale boosts confidence :)

•••

What's your verdict?

Great for buyers but not for sellers (except a few cases).

PS: Noticed the thread is just 2 posts away from 300 pages. Amazing :bah:

•••
So take reg fee between $20-$30 and multiply by 100. Please share your $2k-$3k sale with us. Every public sale boosts confidence :)

Yes. Daily sales are what matter.

Make it $5K if you want. Wouldn't want to hold you to the truth and some confidences want boosting a lot.

I've made one .co sale and I made about 1.5% :)

•••
Keith, I doubt that those who are losing money are going to boast about it. In particular those who have been pumping the TLD and have heavy stakes. They are waiting for that big sale to save face :)

Personally I have registered 4 LLL.co, renewed and unsold to this day. One gets some traffic from Colombia. The rest: more or less a flat curve.
Note that I am not even claiming they have value, or will sell one day.
Nor am I claiming that I made a good choice of domains, or that I am representative in any way.
I'm testing the waters, but not expecting anything in particular.
Just to say that I personally haven't made one cent on .co. You could say I am one of the .co losers :bingo:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back