IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's your take on the new gtld tsunami VS existing tlds, and .co in particular? Also consider internet usage and penetration (worldwide). Roughly 40% of the worlds internet users are asian. And they still got about 60% to go when it comes to penetration, to be on par with North America. Considering the saturation of .com, don't something "got to give"? .com is the only established extension still really. That is not because that particular letter combination is inherently superior. It's marketleading thanks to force of habit. Habits change, and tend to change quicklier as younger generations embrace it. Saying that only .com will ever be recognized widely is not realistic in that perspective. Yeah, . org and .net : nice solid extensions, but they are forever in the backwaters when talking commerce. The big picture needs to be taken into account. The 10 - 15 years picture.

•••
Yep. Quite true. There is a very small market at this point for L-L.co. The VERY best could go for $300-400 at best. And I mean that is the VERY best. To register one outside of the very best is a risk.

There are only 676 L-L in any extension, so they are a rarity.

However, outside .COM ($2K+) and .NET ($100+) L-L have very little reseller value.

I own a few L-L.com, and they rarely get inquiries, so I really doubt there is much of a market for L-L.co at this point.

Top quality L-L.co are worth what an end user is willing to pay, which is probably not much in general.

Brad

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Thanks for the info, Nubi. I think if someone wanted to register these, they would really have to have a great plan for them. Otherwise, it's just throwing money away, at this point.
I think you hit the nail on the head earlier. If it's for a person's initials, not a bad idea.

I think Ms. Domainer said she had I-D.co. Well, pretty good L-L.co, IMO. It's generically relevant. Identification (ID) is such a big keyword, hard to go wrong for the price she paid.

Yes this is true... and I have an update:

The list from a few weeks back had only 19 available L-L.CO... Of that, 7 were since regd...

However, the total of available L-L.CO is now exactly 25 (This 25 includes 12 from the old list):

p-a.co
z-a.co
e-c.co
k-c.co
b-d.co
j-d.co
i-e.co
v-e.co
l-g.co
i-h.co
g-i.co
l-k.co
n-k.co
r-k.co
g-m.co
p-n.co
s-n.co
l-o.co
n-o.co
h-p.co
k-r.co
a-s.co
d-v.co
e-no_url_shorteners
w-z.co

Maybe your initials or whatever! :red:

:gl:

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Its a positive that .co has so many registrants still, which means something for sure as that is a huge amount of registrants in the base., but I feel the hype in .co is diminishing and I feel like a bag holder. Wonder what extension they are going to hype next. .Me just got a big 450K sale with meet.me which is getting a lot of news buzz and pro is trying a relaunch with pro 2.0 starting this week but not much press on it.

How big of a holder are you!? At this point, we are talking about excellent keywords having value. If you have keywords that are really bad or you don't have a solid plan for the ones you DO have, why hold on to them? This holds for any extension.

You could sell your domains to a potential end-user in any extension. But do you know what people want? What were your plans when you registered them? If they were something you "liked", personally, are you sure someone else might like them too? If not, they are dropable, IMO.

•••
do you guys think its worth the risk developing a brand on a .co domain at this point in time?
i own undefeated.co and was keen on developing a sporting/fitness portal but started havin secons thoughts when i asked a few friends to check some concept work and they went to the .com instead
im just worried about how much potential traffic i may be losing from direct type-ins

•••
IMO, it depends what you want. If the keyword "undefeated" is very important, then do it with .co. If you are a start-up, may it's better then. But that decision is a very personal one. If you can afford Undefeated.com, then go with both.

do you guys think its worth the risk developing a brand on a .co domain at this point in time?
i own undefeated.co and was keen on developing a sporting/fitness portal but started havin secons thoughts when i asked a few friends to check some concept work and they went to the .com instead
im just worried about how much potential traffic i may be losing from direct type-ins

•••
IMO, it depends what you want. If the keyword "undefeated" is very important, then do it with .co. If you are a start-up, may it's better then. But that decision is a very personal one. If you can afford Undefeated.com, then go with both.

so you dont believe the extension will make or break the site?
i actually sought to purchase the .com a long time ago but the seller said it was 'not for sale', only to find out he sold it to a clothing company a few months after. shame that i dont have the money to compete with that

are there any companies out there (besides overstock) that have transitioned conpletely to a .co domain?

•••
i actually sought to purchase the .com a long time ago but the seller said it was 'not for sale', only to find out he sold it to a clothing company a few months after. shame that i dont have the money to compete with that

are there any companies out there (besides overstock) that have transitioned conpletely to a .co domain?

I don't see any major merchants doing that. Why would they. Most have already built up their brand. The problems have already been gone over to death in this thread. Now this extension, like any other extension, can be used to get keywords you're targetting for extra search engine penetration.

"IMO, it depends what you want. If the keyword "undefeated" is very important, then do it with .co. If you are a start-up, may it's better then."

Why, when the .com was bought up by a clothing company. Again, there is no getting around that if you build on a .co and there is a .com already in that keyword, you would leak traffic to them.

Imagine you're driving down the highway and see the following on a billboard:

undefeated.co

undefeated.tv

undefeated.me

Which one is most similar to .com? Whichever one it is (obvious), that's not a good thing. Just by habit and how the mind's eye works, the .com is going to get a lot of traffic from stuff like that. It can happen with the other extensions as well but for obvious reasons it's going to happen more with the .co.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••

O.CO transition has ended. They got scared with the proximity of the holidays, and the fact that, besides all the adverting they did, people kept typing O.COM

This is going to happen to every .CO domain out there. It will take years for people to understand that .CO is not .COM

I was developing a couple of .CO domains to be available ASAP, but after this O.co fiasco, I decided to take a more relaxed approach to the work I'm doing. I am still going to develop them, but there's no rush anymore.

I don't need to spend money promoting my websites and have people visiting parked .com domains.

•••
those were the 2 answers i didnt want to hear but kind of expected.
i think i may just hold off for now and see where .co heads

•••
those were the 2 answers i didnt want to hear but kind of expected.
i think i may just hold off for now and see where .co heads

I think you have to consider it in terms of your overall plan to build. I don't think that most people are too stupid to remember to type in .co instead of .com (despite evidence to the contrary that keeps popping up).

The considerations are:

Can you find a decent two word .com instead. I would imagine you can for under $1000. There are lots of great names under that price point. If you're looking at regfee value it will be slightly more difficult.

How do you market the site. If you distribute business cards, use link back MMS/SMS messages, email then it's not as bad as you would think. A decent site will get ranked fairly well - I think that has been proven.

Your end user opinion/market. If your target market is older generation then .com will be worth while sticking to. If you have a younger generation then it won't matter so much. The one thing with .CO however will depend on your demographic. I know some people who would be happy with a fake Louis Vuitton purse and others who wouldn't be seen dead with a fake.
Chances are that the keyword cache gets lost with the second rate extension... it will seen by many as a second rate/cheap name.

If you put a great site on it then that is easily overcome imho.

Reality is that developing and marketing are totally different games than domaining. They share some common issues but are not the same. I think a brand can survive comfortably on .CO if managed probably.

O.co's failing has nothing to do with .CO.

I would look for a decent .COM. Sometimes two words is better than one anyway.

•••

The company that own undefeated.com also own undefeated.net and undefeated.org. My advice: try to sell them the .co and find a new domain.

They have the three key extensions and a very well established brand presence (e.g. stores in the US and Japan, over 20,000 facebook fans) - competing against their website with your .co domain is going to be tricky to say the least.

Demonoid 8-X

•••
It's clear you won't be able to get the .com. If there are no TM problems (which there shouldn't be with a generic dictionary term, but ya never know), I'd build on the .co.

If you are after any short nice name in .com for poco dinero, you're out of luck.

TheUndefeated.com is on sale at HugeDomains.com for near $6000.

Or you could go with what demonoid said: try to sell it to the owners of .com, .net and .org.

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

Sales at Sedo:

Eden.co $1500
Uber.co $1250

•••
Sedo "Premium" .CO Auction Domains

These are the names which were accepted thus far with no reserve:

seller.co
habla.co
stereo.co
088.co
peanut.co
lemonade.co
jelly.co
hotelroom.co
equity.co
garbage.co
plastics.co
equipment.co
gear.co
pretzel.co
carrot.co
finder.co
salud.co
set.co
lotion.co
sneaker.co
lisa.co
fountain.co
kettle.co
nickel.co

Have to say, for a "premium" auction, most of these are crap!

Equity and Equipment go well with the .company hack. Lisa as well as it could be Lisa's "whatever" company.

"Hotelroom"... seriously? :D

Regards,
:wave:

•••
I think the list is pretty good considering it's a no reserve auction. It wouldn't make sense to put up a super premium with no gaurentee.

seller.co
habla.co
stereo.co
088.co
peanut.co
lemonade.co
jelly.co
hotelroom.co
equity.co
garbage.co
plastics.co
equipment.co
gear.co
pretzel.co
carrot.co
finder.co
salud.co
set.co
lotion.co
sneaker.co
lisa.co
fountain.co
kettle.co
nickel.co

Equity and Equipment go well with the .company hack. Lisa as well as it could be Lisa's "whatever" company.

Regards,

•••
They are generally pretty good with a couple exceptions. If you want the best of the very best, go over to Michael Mann's DomainMarket.com and buy some for $60000 a piece.

seller.co
habla.co
stereo.co
088.co
peanut.co
lemonade.co
jelly.co
hotelroom.co
equity.co
garbage.co
plastics.co
equipment.co
gear.co
pretzel.co
carrot.co
finder.co
salud.co
set.co
lotion.co
sneaker.co
lisa.co
fountain.co
kettle.co
nickel.co

Regards,

•••
The company that own undefeated.com also own undefeated.net and undefeated.org. My advice: try to sell them the .co and find a new domain.

They have the three key extensions and a very well established brand presence (e.g. stores in the US and Japan, over 20,000 facebook fans) - competing against their website with your .co domain is going to be tricky to say the least.

Demonoid 8-X

How much do you think a company with their stature would pay for a second-rate extension?

I'm actually thinking maybe I should take a risk here and try to establish my site. I'm not in the same market (I believe they do clothing). Worse comes to worst and my site heads nowhere, I can always attempt to sell it off I suppose.

And I'm too stubborn/can't think of a new 2 word name.

Don't worry guys, I'll lead .co into the mainstream when my company makes it into the Fortune 500 :wave:

•••
Sedo just added another 5 or 6 .co to the premium auction. Anyone investing in .co or other tlds outside of .com should study what domains are being accepted. 99.9 percent are one word generic, product domains. The exception is hotelroom.co which looks real weak against the other submissions.

Multiple word domains and hyphenated domains in obscure tlds will almost always strip you of your money. Invest a couple bucks in the aftermarket if you want a real shot to profit in the domain game!

•••
I am afraid "hotelroom" is not the only weak one, I just pointed it out as an example. If anyone wants to secure a good keyword, Sedo's auction will not be the place to go to. Better off contacting .CO owners and negotiating with them really.

Here are the names I posted earlier, ranked in order of popularity according to Google's Adwords Keyword Tool (from strongest to weakest):

Keyword Exact Match GMS Competition
set 301,000 Low
salud 135,000 Low
equity 110,000 Low
lisa 110,000 Low
garbage 90,500 Low
stereo 74,000 Low
equipment 74,000 Low
finder 74,000 Low
nickel 74,000 Low
jelly 60,500 Low
gear 60,500 Low
lemonade 49,500 Low
carrot 49,500 Low
sneaker 49,500 Medium
pretzel 40,500 Low
fountain 40,500 Medium
kettle 40,500 Low
peanut 33,100 Low
plastics 22,200 Medium
seller 18,100 Low
lotion 18,100 Low
habla 14,800 Low
hotelroom 880 Medium

This is more of a "Dictionary .CO Auction" rather than a premium auction! These words can be purchased in any extension really.
Regards,

•••
Hmm, I suppose buying at this auction really depends on the individual gameplan. Most of these names are products and I doubt endusers care much about actual search volumes. Specific product domains are tailor made for .co.

How do you think taz.co compares to the accepted names? IMO sedo is doing a nice job with the selections. No miscellaneous bs names.
I am afraid "hotelroom" is not the only weak one, I just pointed it out as an example. If anyone wants to secure a good keyword, Sedo's auction will not be the place to go to. Better off contacting .CO owners and negotiating with them really.

Here are the names I posted earlier, ranked in order of popularity according to Google's Adwords Keyword Tool (from strongest to weakest):

Keyword Exact Match GMS Competition
set 301,000 Low
salud 135,000 Low
equity 110,000 Low
lisa 110,000 Low
garbage 90,500 Low
stereo 74,000 Low
equipment 74,000 Low
finder 74,000 Low
nickel 74,000 Low
jelly 60,500 Low
gear 60,500 Low
lemonade 49,500 Low
carrot 49,500 Low
sneaker 49,500 Medium
pretzel 40,500 Low
fountain 40,500 Medium
kettle 40,500 Low
peanut 33,100 Low
plastics 22,200 Medium
seller 18,100 Low
lotion 18,100 Low
habla 14,800 Low
hotelroom 880 Medium

This is more of a "Dictionary .CO Auction" rather than a premium auction! These words can be purchased in any extension really.
Regards,

•••
How do you think taz.co compares to the accepted names? IMO sedo is doing a nice job with the selections. No miscellaneous bs names.

Thanks for the compliment! :) Actually- TAZ is my sisters nickname! :lol: Exact Match GMS: 201,000.

I don't see how my LLL.CO came into the picture? Did I submit it? :D

I will agree, my .co domains might be BS, but at least show me one of yours that is so great? :hearts:

I am just stating facts... agree with it or not-but don't come attack me looking at my sig and insinuate my domain is BS. I can pull out .COMs, .NETs, and .ORGs that have waaay higher value than what you have in .CO! :hearts:

Now a real domainer would join the aftermarket that I play in! And then they will really be successful. Not play with .CO.

Regards,

•••
My question regarding your domain was genuine. I figured you thought highly of it since it's in your sig.

Anyhow my point is this...overstock doesn't care how many monthly searches are made for "o". They care about an angle to grow their brand. Smuckers won't buy jelly.co because the monthly searches are a certain amount. It's all branding Nubi :imho:

Also, most here invest across the board. Posting in a .co thread doesn't limit ones investment strictly to .co domains!
Thanks for the compliment! :) Actually- TAZ is my sisters nickname! :lol: Exact Match GMS: 201,000.

I don't see how my LLL.CO came into the picture? Did I submit it? :D

I will agree, my .co domains might be BS, but at least show me one of yours that is so great? :hearts:

I am just stating facts... agree with it or not-but don't come attack me looking at my sig and insinuate my domain is BS. I can pull out .COMs, .NETs, and .ORGs that have waaay higher value than what you have in .CO! :hearts:

Now a real domainer would join the aftermarket that I play in! And then they will really be successful. Not play with .CO.

Regards,

Last edited:
•••
Also, most here invest across the board. Posting in a .co thread doesn't limit ones investment strictly to .co domains!

I'd add that, since .CO is a new TLD (I look at it as an experiment), anyone investing in it should be already investing in other more established extensions.

•••
My question regarding your domain was genuine. I figured you thought highly of it since it's in your sig.

If people judge me by my sig, I think I should update it :lol: I don't think highly of my .CO domains. Exactly 3 persons here at NP wanted Pisces.co, and I willing to let it go for $500 at the time. They just didn't offer enough.

Besides, why .CO? Should I have 50 or 100 to be able to participate here?

And sorry to burst the bubble for those who thought I might have received a 10 digit offer on Pisces.co... no it was a low three digiter right here at NP! :D

And as for my sig- I keep it active so I have some stuff in there. If you don't, well the posts that you posted won't have a sig even if you add one later! And that's just FYI!

Anyhow my point is this...overstock doesn't care how many monthly searches are made for "o". They care about an angle to grow their brand. Smuckers won't buy jelly.co because the monthly searches are a certain amount. It's all branding Nubi :imho:

What I and everyone else understands is that Sedo is having a Premium .CO Auction.

It's not premium to me at all! And that's my point.

Jelly is crap-it's not premium! Let's forget of searches... How else is this domain(and other domains listed at Sedo's CO Auction)premium? Because it's brandable? Brandable you can get anywhere.. Premium is hard to find!!!!

Ok- Jelly it is a poor keyword, but it's brandable-right? Why not Jelly.Tv? I hardly hear of companies who just manufacture Jelly products.. They are usually a huge subsidiary of a major group, and then the subsidiary would be producing not only Jelly products but literally 100s of other more lucrative product lines. And they tend to have good domains already with great interactive websites.. unless it's those small fry companies.

Regards,

•••
Ok- Jelly it is a poor keyword, but it's brandable-right? Why not Jelly.Tv?

Regards,

Because jelly.tv is taken and it's taken in all major extentions. If I sell jelly I think .co would suit me better than .tv. All the accepted domains are taken across the board so if you want them you have to pay the price! That's the point of this type of auction. You want the keyword? Great! The bidder willing to pay up the most wins the prize.

•••
Because jelly.tv is taken and it's taken in all major extentions.

Jelly.co is also taken.

That's the point of this type of auction. You want the keyword? Great! The bidder willing to pay up the most wins the prize.

That's the point of all auctions.

This was supposed to be the best .CO's listed. You say that Sedo did a nice job of not accepting BS names- I think they pretty much sucked at that nice job.

As I mentioned earlier:
Equity, Equipment and Lisa are good ones-in my eyes... Equity and Equipment- great keyword and works very well with the .COmpany hack. Many people are interested in services from firms trading/investing funds into Equities. Many people are interested in a one-stop Equipment hire/purchase store. Lisa is nice, it could be that Lisa has a bakery which is a private Company... Lisa.CO! And in my example, Lisa would be a great brandable domain!

Now do the same with: Jelly, Hotelroom, Lotion, Peanut, Habla and compare them with the three that I pointed out in the previous paragraph. Really now?

It's not a premium auction. That's my opinion. All auctions have a purpose. I can't disagree with that. I do disagree with Sedo labeling it as Premium-and I am stating my opinion in this thread as I am allowed to.

Regards,

•••
Lisa is terrible and I'll bet the farm that lotion, jelly, and peanut get higher bids. Why? Because they're actual products that fit well with the .co extention. Time will tell who can size up the situation better!
Jelly.co is also taken.

That's the point of all auctions.

This was supposed to be the best .CO's listed. You say that Sedo did a nice job of not accepting BS names- I think they pretty much sucked at that nice job.

As I mentioned earlier:
Equity, Equipment and Lisa are good ones-in my eyes... Equity and Equipment- great keyword and works very well with the .COmpany hack. Many people are interested in services from firms trading/investing funds into Equities. Many people are interested in a one-stop Equipment hire/purchase store. Lisa is nice, it could be that Lisa has a bakery which is a private Company... Lisa.CO! And in my example, Lisa would be a great brandable domain!

Now do the same with: Jelly, Hotelroom, Lotion, Peanut, Habla and compare them with the three that I pointed out in the previous paragraph. Really now?

It's not a premium auction. That's my opinion. All auctions have a purpose. I can't disagree with that. I do disagree with Sedo labeling it as Premium-and I am stating my opinion in this thread as I am allowed to.

Regards,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back