NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
IndiaLinks, one of the India's largest web hosting company and ICANN accredited registrar, announced the inclusion of the highly anticipated .CO domain names it currently offers to new and existing customers.

indiacompanynews.com/post/view/624/IndiaLinks-offers-/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
IndiaLinks, one of the India's largest web hosting company and ICANN accredited registrar, announced the inclusion of the highly anticipated .CO domain names it currently offers to new and existing customers.

indiacompanynews.com/post/view/624/IndiaLinks-offers-/

this is old news reposted by the same author.

- "CO domains" will be available for registration to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis when .CO Registry opens to general public on 20th July,2010.

•••
this is old news reposted by the same author.

- "CO domains" will be available for registration to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis when .CO Registry opens to general public on 20th July,2010.

That is some real breaking news there. 12/28/2010 - IndiaLinks.com announces they will be offering .CO registrations 5 months ago. Comical.

Brad

•••
it is a registrar releasing this PR, not the registry.

My bad. I thought they are .co registry, not registrar. I didnt spend much time about .co hype. I have one or two adult .co though, I hopped to get some traffic from .com, but no luck :)

•••
Looking at Goddady's page, they're all .COM.CO.

If that's the case, these sites are completely worthless for typo purposes.

there is plenty of traffic on .com.co

I was wondering where mrjohn posted... then clicked and saw it was post #22... so post #3404 replies to post#22

And now old news is being reported... hmmm...:| Are we going back in time?

Comical indeed.

Kind of "hard" to believe that there is no current news being reported here. :p

Nubiano :wave:

•••
DomainsBot to Prominently Feature .CO in Search Results of Leading Domain Name Suggestion Service

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20101201/bs_prweb/prweb4846784_1

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

“Due to the scarcity of viable .com web addresses, the demand for credible domain name options has exploded,” said Daniel Ruzzini Mejia, Co-Founder & CSO, DomainsBot. “With more than 600,000 new domain name registrations in just a few short months, the new .CO domain is quickly becoming the premier alternative of choice for our users.”

It's interesting how many people use the word "alternative" to describe .co. There are a few ways to interpret that.

•••
•••
"Prior to our launch we enlisted PSB (a leading market research firm) to run a study of 600 individuals in the U.S. who“had registered” or “were planning to register” a web address. Among other things, the survey asked them what .CO meant: 80% thought it meant “company." Only 3% said it meant Colombia," Calle noted.
- .CO has registrants from over 200 countries.

- 90% of registrants have purchased only 1 or 2 .CO domain names each.

- 99% of registrants have purchased 10 or less .CO domains each.

- Only 1% of all registrants of .CO domain names have purchased 11 or more names.
Looks interesting.

•••
Looks interesting.

Without comparing those stats to other extensions the data is irrelevant.

I am pretty sure most of those stats can apply to any extension.

I bet there are .BIZ owners from 200 countries with 99% of all registrants owning 10 or less.

Brad

•••
I am pretty sure most of those stats can apply to any extension.
I'm not sure about that. The $25-$30 reg fee is a key-difference from most TLDs. Among other things, it provides a better chance of development.

•••
I'm not sure about that. The $25-$30 reg fee is a key-difference from most TLDs. Among other things, it provides a better chance of development.

There are plenty of .TV domainers despite the high reg/renewals and holding costs and the vast majority are not developed in any meaningful way.

There is no breakdown of the numbers. There might be under 10 total regs from 100 different countries.

Many of the regs of .CO are defensive/brand protection because of the typo aspect. Which is one reason you are going to have domain owners from all over the place, because .COM is the global brand used everywhere.

Brad

•••
There are plenty of .TV domainers despite the high reg/renewals and holding costs and the vast majority are not developed in any meaningful way.
.TV's are currently at $10.99 at Name.com, while .CO's are at $28.00 there - the entry-barrier is totally different. It's infact a key-factor which changes a lot among registries, depending on their marketing strategies (consider .in and .info with a reg fee lower than $2).

•••
.TV's are currently at $10.99 at Name.com, while .CO's are at $28.00 there - the entry-barrier is totally different. It's infact a key-factor which changes a lot among registries, depending on their marketing strategies (consider .in and .info with a reg fee lower than $2).

No matter the argument, there seems to be a default ".CO is different" from the .CO proponents.

You are taking one registrar that controls a tiny portion of the market as the standard?

How much is .TV at larger registrars like GoDaddy?

Just a quick glance at default pricing -

GoDaddy - $39.99 .TV vs $24.99 .CO

That is the largest registrar that controls 40%+ of the market.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I didn't realize Name.com was the only registrar that sold .TV

You are taking one registrar that controls a tiny portion of the market as the standard?

How much is .TV at larger registrars like GoDaddy?

Just a quick glance at default pricing -

GoDaddy - $39.99 .TV vs $24.99 .CO

That is the largest registrar that controls 40%+ of the market.

Brad
If there are plenty of .TV domainers, as you stated, do you think they are going to reg their names at $40 each? I'm much more inclined to think they prefer Name.com, even if it were the tiniest registrar out there.

•••
Without comparing those stats to other extensions the data is irrelevant.

Brad

There is no breakdown of the numbers. There might be under 10 total regs from 100 different countries.

Brad

Yes, the stats provided are meaningless as they stand there. More detailed data needs to be published-since they so "freely" gave those stats.

If no comparison is made, then it is pointless.
They manipulated the data quite strangely. As you pointed out there could very well be under 10 regs in many countries.

They manipulated the data in such a way so that the stats couldn't be used to "work back" to find out other key figures. They also provide too little stats, purposefully, for that very reason.

Then they also provide stats that would "appear" good in the readers eyes, knowing that the majority of readers wouldn't question it as they "provided stats, they are very open and transparent."

Nice manipulation of data to provide irrelevant stats which cannot be used as it stands there.

I fall into that 1% apparently-I own 18/19 Dot-Cos. I actually need to list them for sale-just parked at the moment :D

But gotta love what they doing anyway. As long as the majority of the readers do not know, they are fine. Nice tactic ;)

Last edited:
•••
@Nubiano

I happen to fall in that 1% as well, with my 15 .CO's. As I said, the provided stats look interesting but just that. The future success or failure of the TLD will not certainly be depending on them.

•••

Last edited:
•••
A lot of .TV "domainers" are actually buying premium domains that cost far more than $40 each.

The two extensions are totally different from an investment, development and end user stand point so comparing them is not worthwhile imho.
Agreed. Anyway, from the hand registration point of view strictly, there's no doubt the higher/lower registration fees play a major role in the fate of a TLD.

•••
@Nubiano

I happen to fall in that 1% as well, with my 15 .CO's. As I said, the provided stats look interesting but just that. The future success or failure of the TLD will not certainly be depending on them.

I wonder how many of us here at NP fall in that 1%? :D A lot I think. Some own 100+ :$:

Yes, I agree- the way the stats is presented in the article, does make it seem interesting at first glance. I am sure the majority who have/will read it will find the stats to be interesting as well.

More hype and marketing should do the trick... It's worked wonders in the first 2/3 months. Hype has died down quite a bit since then as the registry has been less aggressive with marketing in these recent weeks. But the Superbowl ad should liven things up again. :blink: That's when I will jump off the Dot-co boat altogether. A decent profit is all I seek-further hype will help achieve this. :D

•••
They still have the roll out of IDN in quite a few languages up their sleeve and as that bandwagon is gathering steam with .рф getting some 800K registrations in 2 months and many other things happening.

Watch for the upcoming hype, they are experts.

My few still don't get any traffic,guess I am the only one with crappy .co registrations. :gl:

•••
They still have the roll out of IDN in quite a few languages up their sleeve and as that bandwagon is gathering steam with .рф getting some 800K registrations in 2 months and many other things happening.

Watch for the upcoming hype, they are experts.

My few still don't get any traffic,guess I am the only one with crappy .co registrations. :gl:

What's ".рф" wot?

•••
•••
I just bought 22 more domains. Tell me what you think of these:

HOUSTON.COM.CO
PHILADELPHIA.COM.CO
DETROIT.COM.CO
BALTIMORE.COM.CO
SEATTLE.COM.CO
PORTLAND.COM.CO
MESA.COM.CO
COLUMBUS.COM.CO
AUSTIN.COM.CO
JAMES.COM.CO
JENNY.COM.CO
JOHN.COM.CO
DAN.COM.CO
CHRIS.COM.CO
MATT.COM.CO
DAVE.COM.CO
JOE.COM.CO
RYAN.COM.CO
BEN.COM.CO
JON.COM.CO
KANSAS.COM.CO
ARKANSAS.COM.CO
ALABAMA.COM.CO
NEVADA.COM.CO

•••
No sustainability

.CO will not get much traction from actual web development. Most registrations are likely motivated by brand protection particularly in countries that use .co in the second level domain. The rest are speculators. The numbers they provide don't really tell us much. That 1% with over 10 regs could still hold most of the registered names.

Unfortunately, in time, I see .co eventually falling to a level below other TLDs like .us, .tv., and .mobi.

The only recently launched TLD with any real potential is .me. It's seeing significant development with sites like About.me and the soon to be launched News.me by the New York Times.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back